Board logo

Kit Car Crisis The truth behind the car
fifty50 - 1/7/12 at 11:20 PM

Hi all, After several years of seeing comments i though i'd let everyone know the inside on the Kit Car Crisis Programe. I designed and manufactured the Dominator TS400 that was used in the much aired kit Car Crisis series.

From the age of fifteen I had been building track and kit cars and after getting fed up with my work in IT I decided to design and manufacture my own car. Initially I designed the bodywork to partner an MK GT1 Chassis, but although I liked the chassis having previously built and run my own GT1, the quoted price of £3500 per chassis from MK was too high a price within the overall cost of the project. I looked to other chassis manufacturers including ADR, but for a number of different reasons decided to design and produce my own. The car was initially met with very good reviews in the kit car press and we had several orders on the books and a prototype that worked well.

I was approached by Mark Raynard to see if we could provide a car and some support for a ten part series that was to be made for discovery channel, to be called Man on a Mission, He told me he had written the series and that he was going to build a car in his back shed, the production company would film him through the process of building it, testing and finally him racing in the bike engined car series…. He told me how Discovery were paying him for the writing the series and that he would buy the car so he could keep it after the programme was finished. I was led to believe he had several sponsors who would help fund the project from Straight cash, tools, trailers and support vehicles. It all looked so very interesting and solid.

Then the first pressure, if we wanted to get involved he needed to know that same day, as filming had to start within two weeks. After only a couple of hours to think things through we decided we would support it, after all we were getting a sale and although we knew there would be a lot of time spent on support, it looked like fun and more importantly we thought the publicity would help such a young company.

We had a spare chassis that was at Hull University for some stress testing, so with time scales pressing we recalled this chassis and began to finish it. Then the problems started, several phone calls where mark said he had several parts he had been given from suppliers free of charge. In his view it was saving him money getting parts sponsored, but for us it was a nightmare as many of the parts were different to those that we normally used on our cars. It meant a lot of re-fabrication to accommodate a change of braking system, rear diff, dampers etc etc. After long discussions and our strong advice against using many of these parts we reluctantly agreed to alter the chassis to accommodate them, working many hours late into the evenings for several days. The plan was to have around a three month window to allow for testing and we were led to believe Mark had negotiated a sponsorship deal with a race circuit, that would allow almost unlimited track time to develop the car and fix any problems encountered with the new engineering.

So the Friday night came off we went Stevenage, trailer and new chassis in tow. when we arrived at Marks house made arrangements about the following days schedule, which was to arrive the next morning so the film crew could film us etc etc Then he dropped two bombshells in one, first he admitted he'd bought another car, but he'd found out it wasn't suitable for a bike engine? My first realisation of the type of clown I was dealing with, then that he was waiting for the money back he'd paid to the other company and that his sponsor hadn't paid him yet. He went on to reassured me that it would be no problem and he would pay as soon as the money came in. OK we thought, this is been done with Discovery channel, should be good for the money. (big mistake)

So the first weekend filming and building went Ok I suppose, although slow we were just doing the basic things, then we found out that he had told the production company that we would support them through all the filming, wow that was a lot of time to commit to, but OK we thought the publicity would be worth it. generally things didn’t go too bad until part six, we were there in the background each time and sometimes until 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning, but it really pissed me off on a couple of occasions when he just walked away, went to bed and left us to do the work. We did have issues with some of the parts and stuff he had ordered that didn’t arrive but we generally found ways around them to allow the filming schedule to work. We put in a lot of effort to make thing work in the background, and after each session, I showed him what and how to do the next parcel of work, only for us to turn up the next time to find half the work not done because he got fed up or some other excuse, always he had dropped a bullock or done something really stupid. What you all see on TV makes him look very good?? It was far worse in the reality !!.

Before we filmed part seven the production company invited us all in to view the final version as it was to start airing the following week on Discovery real time. One thing I forgot to mention was the programme name change I had been the sold the project as a programme called man on a mission , but was horrified to find out after we had filmed three parts that the real name was kit car crisis and they had kept this from us. I didn’t like that title at all, it implied there would be problems…..Well when mark saw the first cut he went crazy he said that it made him look stupid !!!, how true , but not as stupid as he was. Anyway to help ease things along the production company agreed to remove some of the things he wasn’t happy with.

So the programme starts, it’s a success with the highest rating on the whole of the discovery network, but my concerns were growing the car was nowhere near being finished and time was running out, the testing time was getting shorter buy the day, Oh and yes you guessed we still hadn’t been paid. Over the period they filmed the next three parts mark drove a bike engine car for the first time,. It was much less powerful than the car he was building and frightened him to death, all I can say is I think it left brown stains in his pants, all the bravado stopped and it was clear he didn’t warm to the idea of having to drive the car he was building.

The schedule slipped further behind , the start of the race season was upon us, still no sponsorship and only a bounced cheque from him for £1800, but we were so far in we thought it would hurt us more to pull the plug before the car was seen finished and racing. Then the dreaded Part Nine. The only track time the car got, not the three months promised but a mere two hours., remember we had had to re-engineer so much of the chassis. The bracket holding the diff gave way on camera, It buckled and should have been a simple fix too give it a bit more bulk, but we never got the opportunity, also a weld holding the front damper bracket gave way when a guy jumped on the suspension, this was poo welding that some mate of his had done after the clown had ground the bracket off to move it (why I will never know). Unfortunately we were not able to support at this film shoot as we were away on holiday, so no opportunity to put things right on the day. On my return from holiday I had a anxious phone call from the producer” could I get down to Coventry as they had a problem and wanted me to give them some advice and run through a few things with the narration”.

When I got there they 1st showed me what had happened to the chassis and asked if it could be fixed, yes no problem I said, then they told me they were having problems with Mark( thinks he’s Jeremy Clarkson) Raynard he had blown a gasket when they had shown him the next two parts ready to be shown on TV. He was convinced they had tried to make him look bad, and refused to take part any more in the series. I’m not quite sure what went on legally, but I know lawyers from discovery had to get involved and there was threats of injunctions and law suits. However the long and the short is the last part of the series was never filmed, so the car never got sorted and finished and he never raced. I am sure it was just an excuse as he knew he wouldn’t be able to handle the car on track, it frightened him too much. But that didn’t help me, the whole reason we got involved in the first place was for the publicity, and this was looking bad. Soon after the last in the series went on air the number of enquiries dropped significantly, as a direct result we lost three orders and a deal with an Australian race car manufacture who had agreed to build the Dominator under licence for the Asian market, the Australian company had already done due diligence on the car and was happy with its integrity but were concerned the programme could reflect badly on the car and damage their potential marketplace. To top it all, we never did get paid for the chassis and body, I chased him through the courts and obtained a judgement against him but failed to get the money or recover the goods, which in the contract I still own until payment is made in full.

So all in all, It was the worst call of judgement I ever made, to get involved with this programme. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the chassis or body panels I would be pleased to hear, maybe there is still a chance to get my property back.

Simon - 2/7/12 at 12:41 AM

Unfortunately those programmes (Kit Car/Campervan/Beetle Crisis) go bad from the off because the narrator sounds like he wants to top himself - and perhaps he should.

It's quite clear that M R had no idea what he was getting into, and that the chassis "mods" were bound to be a prob as it was all so rushed. If I'd have been in the market for your car, that show certainly wouldn't have put me off, in the same way the tossers on TG wouldn't put me off a Hawk Stratos.

At the end of the day; you, M R etc were all pawns in Discovery's little game for advertising revenue. Perhaps future participants might like to be a bit more wary, and get proper contracts drawn up detailing payments, editorial content, remedial stuff (in case things go wrong etc) etc etc.

Unfortunately you got sucked in and spat out, which in the great scheme of things is a bit of a shitter but hey ho, live and learn etc.

Hope things are ok for you now.

ATB

Simon

T66 - 2/7/12 at 03:05 AM

Like a lot of people I watched the run of programmes, and fairly early on, took the guy to be a biff but still appreciated the viewing, which in my opinion had nothing to do with the pile of parts he bolted together , which if I recall were decent stuff.

Your post has confirmed a few things, ie he was a tit, he was frightened of speed, and why the series didnt really have an end.

If you dont mind me asking, why have you posted this response now, as the series must be a few years old now ?

thanks

AndyW - 2/7/12 at 07:30 AM

It is a real shame to hear how you were messed about. Shame as you came accross on the show as helpful and layed back but always willing to help. Thats what people want in a supplier. As for Mark R, well he showed his true colours right form the start and as said, he came accross as a tit.

Im glad you posted as the subject had come up loads of times and I think we all really wanted to know what happened. Now we know, I do hope you get a chance to recover your property.

Just to let you know also that I would not be put off buying from you as a result of the show. I did infact look into the dominator at one stage but opted for a 7 style for now. Would love to drive around in one of those, I think they look great! Good luck

Andy

40inches - 2/7/12 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66

If you dont mind me asking, why have you posted this response now, as the series must be a few years old now ?

thanks

I think in response to this thread.

ditchlewis - 2/7/12 at 07:55 AM

sorry to hear the sad tail. at work we had top gear on site doing some demolition and my impression was the TV producers have all the power and are the puppet masters behind all this.

when i wached KC crisis it was not the car that was reflected badly on but the IDIOT fronting the programme, i always had the impression that someone in the background was putting more work in than him to make sure it was safe.

i thought that it was a plonker ruining a nice car and he should be shot.

i hope you can salvage something from all this, i bet there are may people like you who were sold a good storey and are still waiting to be paid.

good luck for the future.

ditch

Ps just read the other thread and im very sad to hear what this has cost you. i admire those who follow their dreams and set up there own business. as before, good luck for the future.

[Edited on 2/7/12 by ditchlewis]

maccmike - 2/7/12 at 08:10 AM

thats a genuinely interested story, maybe you could have it published in a magazine or newspaper to a larger audience?
I hope you retrieve your property and dont beat yourself up too much, it could easily have gone the other way and youd be rich and famous.

fifty50 - 2/7/12 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by T66

thanks

It just seems when ever I go on any forums things still crop up and although there are many kind comments, It stirs up all the old anger, so it thought once and for all I'd have my say and get it out of my system. Its a shame really that I feel like I do, but ultimatly it cost me and my family so much financial hardship and thats hard to take

bartonp - 2/7/12 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
thats a genuinely interested story, maybe you could have it published in a magazine or newspaper to a larger audience?
I hope you retrieve your property and dont beat yourself up too much, it could easily have gone the other way and youd be rich and famous.

Name one person who got rich & famous from the kit car industry!
(OK apart from Colin Chapman...)

[Edited on 2/7/12 by bartonp]

maccmike - 2/7/12 at 09:12 AM

every manufacturer out there started with one home made car. so, eeerrrrrr everyone!

Brook_lands - 2/7/12 at 09:19 AM

Few get the fame and fortune promised. A few years ago when I was running a business start up centre we were approached by a TV company - sort of Dragon's Den meets The Apprentice concept. Same deal, you do everything for us for free and you will be showered with ... Well I wasn't quite sure what - but as you do I thought it could be good for the new businesses, and some of the businesses were media related so it was agreed that they could do some of the filming.

After less than 2 weeks the TV company pulled out because "it wasn't dramatic enough for good TV". What they meant was no one was arguing and falling out, no one was slagging the others off, etc etc. I agree a group of people working together in a professional way developing their businesses and doing OK does not make good television. If it did Eastenders or whatever would consist of , character gets up, goes to work, comes home, watches TV, goes to bed.

Perhaps you could get your money back by punting the idea that they make a programme called TV Programme Crisis, because you've already got a pretty good story line that's more real than most reality TV.

fesycresy - 2/7/12 at 09:44 AM

Wasn't AGM Sportscars the original chassis?

I bet he sat back and thought, I've just dodged a 'big massive fcuking bullet'.

designer - 2/7/12 at 10:31 AM

It's a shame but, TV is not real life, despite all the 'reality' content, it's a dream world where NOTHING is real!

Never ever enter the realm of TV without a legally drawn up contract, and always get money up front. Publicity can work both ways, and the TV men will never take any blame.

chillis - 2/7/12 at 10:34 AM

Tell you one thing then doing something else is what TV program makers are all about. All they're really looking for it the 'American choper' type reality TV. The car, the driver/builder suppliers and supporters are of no consequence except when they're all shouting at each other.
Interestingly Beetle chrisis got more controversial afterthe series finished.

mikeb - 2/7/12 at 10:57 AM

I wasn't a big fan of the ... crisis programmes. Vaguely remember the kit car crisis one, thinking the the bloke was a plonker.

But the stuff with Mark on the " is born series" (a racing car is born) is just him building stuff, there's no bitching or in fights etc. Still good watching though.

Sorry you lost out on the project BTW.

T66 - 2/7/12 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by T66

thanks

Roger the dog.......

Just a quick point, there was nothing in the programs that would put me off buying a Dominator either ! In fact the show was broadcast when I was planning, and swayed me to a bike engined something, as opposed to a zetec engined Seven.

Anyway - The F1 moulds make a lovely car ! Good luck with the sale.

Westy1994 - 2/7/12 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
I wasn't a big fan of the ... crisis programmes. Vaguely remember the kit car crisis one, thinking the the bloke was a plonker.

But the stuff with Mark on the " is born series" (a racing car is born) is just him building stuff, there's no bitching or in fights etc. Still good watching though.

The ' Is Born Series' featured Mark EVANS, not the Mark that is being discussed here on this thread. Just wanted to mention that.

Rich.

MikeRJ - 2/7/12 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bartonp

To paraphrase: To make a small fortune in the kit car industry, start with a large one.

MikeFellows - 2/7/12 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

The ' Is Born Series' featured Mark EVANS, not the Mark that is being discussed here on this thread. Just wanted to mention that.

Rich.

im glad you posted that, as I did have them mixed up

Proby - 2/7/12 at 03:37 PM

I'm glad you have posted this story. I have only recently watched Kit ... Crisis, I enjoyed watching it and wondered why the series never seemed to be finished off. That guy was well in it over his head. He had not got a bloody clue, and it showed quite clearly. I'm sorry to hear you lost so much money (and time) that you ploughed into it.

Westy1994 - 2/7/12 at 03:59 PM

I had previously never heard of this series before this thread, so I went on a hunt for it on the web, after watching just the first 10 mins of episode 1 , it backs up everything that the OP has posted. Not really sure if I should waste my time watching the rest now...., whilst searching for this, I found some more with the 'Crisis ' title, something to do with a camper van and another one about a beetle - are these fronted by the same builder, as if they are I won't bother downloading them..

Again, as other folks have written, so sorry you lost out on this build.

Rich

CNHSS1 - 2/7/12 at 04:54 PM

the only thing it seems the OP did wrong, was not clearly define 'arse' and 'elbow' in the build manual for said 'presenter'!

have seen the series at various times and seen the race car being blinged up with pretty toys and big go-faster wheels, always wondered how it ended

snakebelly - 2/7/12 at 05:05 PM

No help to you now but it was blatantley obvious from minute one that the presenter/builder was a chancer! my only surprise was that he actually had a plan to get it from the back garden!

woodster - 2/7/12 at 05:52 PM

I'm glad you ^ mentioned the building the car in the back garden bit and then having to use a crane to lift it over the house ........ That's when I thought that blokes a knob ed

Johneturbo - 2/7/12 at 05:57 PM

Real shame you've ended out of pocket as has been said before you came across as a helpful chilled out guy.

I thought maybe the builder was ill advised and also felt a bit sorry for him, i didn't know he was the writer of the series untill now. so shame on him

I hope you get what your owed

Stott - 2/7/12 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
That's when I thought that blokes a knob ed

For me I think it was the "a pop what? pop rivet? how does that work....oh wow that's really useful" bit

richard thomas - 2/7/12 at 06:53 PM

I think it's good for you to finally let us know what happened....it did strike me that the lad was a bit 'lacking' in certain ways.....and I am sorry for your losses...but as said before, you did seem like a decent enough chap on the programme....

In fact, the only thing I saw that gave him any credibility was the fact that he knew one of the PPC guys....for what it's worth...that said there's a lot of projects that go unfinished on there too....

tul214 - 2/7/12 at 07:37 PM

Hi Paul,
Good for you for posting the truth and good luck in the future.

Mark
(The Tiger is now gone but I had a lot of fun with it )

scootz - 2/7/12 at 08:14 PM

Bloody hell...

Sounds a complete nightmare!

Onwards and upwards fella!

fifty50 - 3/7/12 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments, Its made me feel much better about the whole thing

fifty50 - 3/7/12 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Hi Paul,
Good for you for posting the truth and good luck in the future.

Mark
(The Tiger is now gone but I had a lot of fun with it )

Hi glad to hear that, Have you got anything else now?

scootz - 3/7/12 at 11:28 AM

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online series link?

Cheers!

Steve Hignett - 3/7/12 at 11:58 AM

Scootz, if you watch it, just be prepared to immediately (I honestly mean within a matter of seconds) find the guy to be a pious, hypocritical, obnoxious, know it all, scaredy-cat, prick of such un-manageable proportions that he even shakes hands sideways as if he's "Gangsta"...

When he was not appreciative of helpers work, I wanted to head-butt him.
When he was laughing at other's misfortunes, I wanted to stab him.
When he hit a friends hand with a big lump hammer, I wanted to murder him with 1000 knitting needles...
And when he shook hands sideways in the exhaust manufacturer's place, I totally lost the plot...

What a complete and utter dick...
Sorry for anyone offended by bad language (unless your name is Mark Reynard), but he suits so many expletives, it's unreal Scootz!!!

scootz - 3/7/12 at 12:11 PM

Cheers Steve. I think viewing is a must (I love being outraged! ).

Confused but excited. - 3/7/12 at 01:16 PM

I thought that the whole point of the series was to show people what a complete knob MR was and how not to build a kit car.
He is an even bigger tit than I first thought now that we know how much support he had.
A total oxygen thief.
I feel for fifty50 as he must have been gutted. I can't honestly understand why he isn't doing time for the pratt. He must be a very laid back guy.

loggyboy - 3/7/12 at 02:12 PM

Starts again 11th of July on Discovery Turbo:
http://www.discoveryuk.com/tv-guide/?type=series&style=day&channel_code=TUUK-ENG&filter=1800&series_id=111683

Westy1994 - 3/7/12 at 02:20 PM

^^^

No Thanks, one viewing was enough.............

I wonder if the parts suppliers got paid, GAZ for example, its one thing giving up your time to help out, but quite another if it costs you to do so....

loggyboy - 3/7/12 at 02:26 PM

IM gonna watch it again just got the comedy/cringe factor, just noticed that a racing car is born is showing.. missed the first 2 episodes, but ply Sky+ is going to be full!

[Edited on 3/7/12 by loggyboy]

Westy1994 - 3/7/12 at 02:30 PM

You did not miss that much on those two eps, mainly involved him looking at which kit to build and a factory tour once he had decided, I have them all on the pc here and watched the whole thing again only just last weekend, apart from the IVA comedy episode, I loved it all.

jacko - 3/7/12 at 07:06 PM

Hi Paul
I am glad you have posted the full story i have thought for a few years that you should .

I have met you a few times at your yard and at shows and always found you to be knowledgable in kit cars
I hope all goes well for you
Graham ( from Hull )

scootz - 3/7/12 at 07:39 PM

Watched the first episode... the boy Raynard is indeed coming across as a prize-twazzock!

Westy1994 - 3/7/12 at 07:42 PM

Only the first one.... I did warn you, hehehe. It gets worse - far worse........

scootz - 3/7/12 at 07:43 PM

scootz - 4/7/12 at 08:19 AM

Episode 4 in the bag!

This guy Raynard has even more gear and less idea than me! Who would have thought it possible!?

I've been trying not to prejudge him, but he reminds me a little of Richard Hammond, so he's off to the worst possible start! His subsequent attitude has done little to improve the situation!

Steve Hignett - 4/7/12 at 08:25 AM

Wait for the Exhaust builder episode and when he walk's in and give it the - Sideways handshake Oh, and I think the words he uses when shaking hands like a gangsta are; How's you, man?. What a complete t w a t............

FuryRebuild - 4/7/12 at 10:36 AM

was this the series where he was welding in washers around the suspension mount holes to narrow the hole sizes rather than sourcing appropriate sized bolts? That made me cringe - totally inappropriate metal to metal contact, and wrong sizes. In no time they would have worn and become dangerous.

that made me giggle and shudder at the same time.

fifty50 - 4/7/12 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
was this the series where he was welding in washers around the suspension mount holes to narrow the hole sizes rather than sourcing appropriate sized bolts? That made me cringe - totally inappropriate metal to metal contact, and wrong sizes. In no time they would have worn and become dangerous.

that made me giggle and shudder at the same time.

Fifty50; Actually the reason for the washers was that he had ordered different dampers from Gaz to those that the chassis was designed for, the washers were supposed to be a tempary fix until we could get some spacers machined up, but that was typical of many other things that went on behind the camera, like the weekend I tuned up and he'd cut the pedal box away to fit some expensive pedal set as he thought the cars manufacter designed one wouldn't be right for racing, yet the we'd never had any problems with pedals and the levers were calculated exactly to provide the right breaking and pressure for track use. how he ordered wheels with the incorrect width and off set and they had to be remade, some of the brake parts had to be remachined as he had given the brake manufacturer the wrong measurements. nearly always we found these things out just as filming would start - just a total plonker!!

fifty50 - 4/7/12 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Wait for the Exhaust builder episode and when he walk's in and give it the - Sideways handshake Oh, and I think the words he uses when shaking hands like a gangsta are; How's you, man?. What a complete t w a t............

Fity50. He told the exhaust builder that I was paying for the exhaust as it was part of the kit, lucky for me I had forwarned the exhaust guys of him, so they wouldn't let him take the car until it had been paid for, so it had ended up with one of the film crew paying for it on his credit card. and that after they had worked all day on building the exhaust for him.

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 11:40 AM

Fifty50, did the TV company do you think, purposely choose this guy and edit the show accordingly to portray not only himself, but you as the fall guys of the show, rather than the subject of building a car. A sort of reality show depicting a guy that is doomed to fail from the outset... I ask this because having only just watched this for the first time the other day, I can't believe that they actually let it be released for public viewing otherwise, or was that the point.

I have a feeling based upon your comment that the title was changed, what the answer might be, but why should you and your company suffer for the plainly childish antics of a wannabe racer. Did the TV company not realise that this had far further implications than seeing one man fail on screen?.

loggyboy - 4/7/12 at 11:43 AM

I think the crisis title is much more tongue in cheek than you make out. I never assumed it meant that the whole build was a crisis and doomed to fail from day one, I think its just the fact it rolls off the tounge quite nicely!
It seems there are a couple of other 'crisis' programs, are these similar in content?

[Edited on 4/7/12 by loggyboy]

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

It seems there are a couple of other 'crisis' programs, are these similar in content?

I asked that the day I watched this one and no one has answered yet , if they are I won't be wasting my time watching....

loggyboy - 4/7/12 at 11:52 AM

quote:
I asked that the day I watched this one and no one has answered yet , if they are I won't be wasting my time watching....

I beleive there is Campervan Crisis, and beetle Crisis (1 and 2) allthought its hard to be sure, I think the Kitcar one came first, so it could well be the fact it turned out to be a crisis that set the crisis series in motion, rather than the otherway around!
Ive just watched a trailer for the Campervan one, seems vaguely similar in content, but looks like the van acctually got finished!

fifty50 - 4/7/12 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Fifty50, did the TV company do you think, purposely choose this guy and edit the show accordingly to portray not only himself, but you as the fall guys of the show, rather than the subject of building a car. A sort of reality show depicting a guy that is doomed to fail from the outset... I ask this because having only just watched this for the first time the other day, I can't believe that they actually let it be released for public viewing otherwise, or was that the point.

I have a feeling based upon your comment that the title was changed, what the answer might be, but why should you and your company suffer for the plainly childish antics of a wannabe racer. Did the TV company not realise that this had far further implications than seeing one man fail on screen?.

Fity50; The production company guys were actually ok, but they were just doing what the executives at Discovery wanted, I was annoyed by the title change and they had definatly concealed the kit car crissis name from me, I only uncovered this with a note that had been left laying in the car one of the times when we turned up, everyone else involved new the name from the start, but they had always called it man on a misson to me. I'm not sure they ever intended to make anyone look bad, I think it was just that MR was not the right person to be involved. MR had written the series and when it was accepted by discovery he did some deal to take less payment if he could be the presenter, but they dropped hime for the campervan and bettle cris programes

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 12:33 PM

OK, thanks for the reply. It sounds then that they wanted to get another show together to equal the 'Is Born ' series, that I think aired on the same network, looks like the concept was ok, just the frontman wasn't.

I wonder what he is doing now??

Hiding I suppose.

swanny - 4/7/12 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike

(OK apart from Colin Chapman...)

[Edited on 2/7/12 by bartonp]

Richard Stewart (ex Robin Hood owner)

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 02:25 PM

Trevor Wilkinson.

James - 4/7/12 at 02:42 PM

quote:
quote:

I watched the Campervan one on a DVD borrowed from my BiL. I don't know much about Campers but my girlfriend and I did enjoyed watching it.

I've not see KCC but Campervan was more like a documentary than KCC's "here's me building my car". The main guy was maybe a bit naive in spending a lot more on it than the final thing was worth but that's all IMO. (imagine spending hours and £££ building a car that's worth less at the end than buying it! ).

Once he's stripped and acid dipped the chassis the thing was more holes and rust than metal! Took many months over time and many £££ more than expected to basically make a campervan chassis from scratch! lol

James

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James

(imagine spending hours and £££ building a car that's worth less at the end than buying it!

James

I would imagine most owners of ' Classic' and / or ' Kit ' cars spend far more on a restoration than the end result is worth, I know I have. But then I don't build / restore a car to make money on it, as for the rest of the series, I am downloading them now, more for morbid curiosity than anything else........

off-road-ham - 4/7/12 at 03:16 PM

quote:
quote:

I think the "crisis" in the title of the campervan and beetle programs relate to the problems of restoration and the stress involved.
They are completely different , done with people who know what they are doing or where they don't the listen to people that do.

Westy1994 - 4/7/12 at 10:09 PM

^^^^

He is right, just watched the first two episodes and thankfully this is a proper show, no sign of Mr R at all, featured or credited.

scootz - 5/7/12 at 09:35 AM

Well that's me watched the whole series and had I seen it at the time of the original broadcast, then it wouldn't have put me off buying a Dominator TS400. Yes, the chassis was a bit rough, but it's a budget kit-car and you get what you pay for. I thought it was fair enough as a base for building your own car. Also, the Dominator guy (Paul Leggot?) came across as a decent spud.

The two instances of chassis failure seen on the show were not a huge concern either. It was highlighted more than once that the presenter had faffed about with the frame and was using diff components that were not suitable for the chassis. I noticed the presenter was doing some of his home-welds on top of painted / powder-coated surfaces, so no bloody wonder there were failures!

fifty50 - 5/7/12 at 11:17 AM

Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again, hahaha, no just build the odd one now and again for myself and that keeps me happy, although I have a full chassis in my shed that I cant be botherd to complete if anyones interested, I 'd only want a couple of hundred for it.

owelly - 5/7/12 at 11:30 AM

I may be interested in the chassis. Could you send me some more details please? owelly'at'owelly.co.uk
cheers.

scootz - 5/7/12 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fifty50
Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again...

That's a pretty cool dilemma to have!!!

Almost up there with the "should I take that job of photographer at Playboy, or the malt taster at the Lagavulin distillery"!!!

Westy1994 - 5/7/12 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fifty50
Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again, hahaha, no just build the odd one now and again for myself and that keeps me happy, although I have a full chassis in my shed that I cant be botherd to complete if anyones interested, I 'd only want a couple of hundred for it.

Now I have watched the second of the ' Crisis' series ( campervan) I feel even more sorry for Paul, the campervan one had no real crisis value in at all from what I could see, if I were to have any issue, it would have been the chaps self imposed time limit, whilst its good to have a goal to work to, it does nothing for the state of their minds.....

It really was just bad luck that Paul got himself involved with Mr R , but it should not have cost him his livelyhood .

I also, had I been in the market, have had no problems in buying that kit as presented by the designer and used with the parts that the designer had planned to use from day one.

Hope you sell the chassis and it goes to a good home where hopefully we can see a proper build of the TS400.

Rich

Steve Hignett - 5/7/12 at 02:24 PM

So, has anyone managed to track down what the infamous Mark Reynard is up to nowadays then?

I've no idea why, but I keep expecting him to pop up on this thread and kick off...

Now, that would be funny!

tul214 - 5/7/12 at 07:33 PM

quote:
So, has anyone managed to track down what the infamous Mark Reynard is up to nowadays then?

I've no idea why, but I keep expecting him to pop up on this thread and kick off...

quick search found this

blakep82 - 5/7/12 at 07:57 PM

quote:
quote:

quick search found this

hmm, a real life alan partridge, but probably less funny.
i've got the series on sky+ to start recording next week, need to see the series. saw 1 episode i think, broken chain diff/mounting rings a bell? need to see the whole thing really

TimC - 5/7/12 at 08:13 PM

quote:

Ha - genuine laughter of an out loud nature here.

TimC - 5/7/12 at 08:19 PM

quote:

quick search found this

Awesome. Can we all text him at a predetermined time with the words, "How's you Man?"

[Edited on 5/7/12 by TimC]

JC - 5/7/12 at 09:15 PM

'Mark has appeared in a number of pantomimes...'. Say no more!!!

steve m - 5/7/12 at 09:25 PM

His location should read Baldcock

RK - 5/7/12 at 10:40 PM

Is any of this posted on the web? I feel life will not be complete until I see this. To elicit such a reaction from S H, who has always seemed calm and helpful, in general, is quite something!

James - 5/7/12 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Well that's me watched the whole series

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Is any of this posted on the web? I feel life will not be complete until I see this. To elicit such a reaction from S H, who has always seemed calm and helpful, in general, is quite something!

Seems it's possible!

I'd like to see it too... let us know where you got it Scootz?

Cheers,
James

Westy1994 - 6/7/12 at 01:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
'Mark has appeared in a number of pantomimes...'. Say no more!!!

Yes I know, I sat and watched all 9 parts of it as well......

vanepico - 6/7/12 at 07:24 AM

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-reynard/b/174/708
I'm definately up for spamming his ass!!!

BobM - 6/7/12 at 07:39 AM

I'm pretty sure some of my RGB mates went round and helped him out with the wiring too. I watched the series first time round and remember seeing one of them in the background. I don't think they were desperately impressed with him.

scootz - 6/7/12 at 07:39 AM

You'll find the series download here... link

You'll have to sign up to www.the box.bz first, but it's relatively straightforward and hassle free.

*Thanks to Westy who originally pointed me in the direction of this!

40inches - 6/7/12 at 07:49 AM

Download HERE Not done it myself, so usual precautions apply.

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 07:50 AM

I wondered how long it would take you to notice this, Tim

Just checked out the LinkedIn and 4NetWorking links - it appears that the guy is a professional bullshitter - who'd have known???

TimC - 6/7/12 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BobM
I'm pretty sure some of my RGB mates went round and helped him out with the wiring too. I watched the series first time round and remember seeing one of them in the background. I don't think they were desperately impressed with him.

Isn't Tim H involved in the bit where they spot 12mm bolts in 1/2" holes? It's been a long time since I watched it so far from certain.

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 08:03 AM

Tim H, and the shorter, balder (ginger hair) and very pleasant other chap who was a season'ed veteran of RGB - I think it was those guys that suggested the temp fix of the washers for the coilovers as he'd ordered the wrong ones.......

The other chap (not Tim H) was in one of the first episodes (3 or 4 I think) and he was sat on a deck chair witrh the leg's cut off in his pit garage, next to his car and his comments on MR were the same as everyone's would be - the car will be better than the driver... Then a bit later they had the same guy commenting on the unsuitability of the car and components like big wheels etc... Then obviously about MR's lack of experience etc and the fact that he squealed like a girl when someone took him out in a BEC... And not in a "giggly - I'm excited sort of way" - no, it was definitely a scared little girl way......

Yes, Rich - I am usually relatively calm, well, maybe not calm, but someone that doesn't lose his temper, but that guy really drew out the worst in me!

Ironic really, cos I only ever watched it when it was broadcast the first time round!

scootz - 6/7/12 at 08:07 AM

Hey Steve... how's you man!?

loggyboy - 6/7/12 at 08:14 AM

Love this on the 4net link'

'has appeared in a number Pantomimes over the years and was presenter for a Discovery Channel TV series'

I think these are one and the same....!

scudderfish - 6/7/12 at 08:20 AM

From LinkedIn

quote:

We recently launched a new solution enabling clients to utilise 3D PowerPoint

If sitting through Powerpoint presentations wasn't bad enough already......

timhoverd - 6/7/12 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Tim H, and the shorter, balder (ginger hair) and very pleasant other chap who was a season'ed veteran of RGB - I think it was those guys that suggested the temp fix of the washers for the coilovers as he'd ordered the wrong ones.......

Yes, I was there, I was in 2 or 3 episodes and, indeed, watched the whole thing before it went out, and after it went legal, to be sure there wasn't anything completely defamatory in it. The other chap was Mike Field.

The fix with the washers is because of the very common kit car issue about using 12mm bolts through a damper with 1/2" sphericals in it. He hadn't ordered the wrong dampers. Jeremy Phillips (Sylva) used to have an article on his web site about just this issue some years ago. It comes down to whether you're happy to rely on a bolt merely for its clamping ability or also want to be specific about it providing shear location.

It's worthwhile saying that, as in all TV programmes, you should take what appears on the TV with a giant pinch of salt. The TV crew filmed a huge amount of stuff and you could have edited it to give almost any impression you wanted. The truth is inevitably more bland and nuanced than is immediately apparent. That is, just regard it as entertainment...

But, come and find me at a race meeting and I'll tell you what I really think...

Tim

loggyboy - 6/7/12 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by timhoverd
But, come and find me at a race meeting and I'll tell you what I really think...

Tim

Cant you just tell us now?! lol

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 09:15 AM

Come on Tim, the guy might have been edited in the negative, and they might have edited out all his charity and humaity work in Africa - And I'm sorry to have such an opinion when I've never met the guy, however, if I'd have witnessed any singular act that I mention above on it's own from a person, then my opinion would be the same - the blokes an idiot...

Obviously, the fact that he does several of the things that I find particularly annoying in an individual, then rest assured about the fact, that I feel less bad about my negative opinion without having to meet him...

(Sorry if the above sounds like twaddle, I am in work and don't have time to think!)

timhoverd - 6/7/12 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett - the blokes an idiot...

Did I say he wasn't?

But, to put things in context, his welding is actually good regardless of his other characteristics. (He'd been a theatrical set builder for this is a necessary skill.) The fact that you saw him welding on the TV, and then saw a completely shonky weld does not mean that he actually did that weld... (I can't remember if this actually happened but it's a sound example nonetheless.)

Tim

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 09:35 AM

Ironically Tim, the welding that he did to give him some protection around his fuel tank seemed to be his only redeeming feature of the build - When he was welding, it certainly sounded like a good weld!

Having said that, the welding he did for his new pedals didn't seem all that good, but I didn't really look at the welds afterwards to be fair!

And no - you didn't say he "wasn't an idiot" - I wasn't really coming back to you on that one, it was simply that I was enforcing my post quite a bit above yours about my opinion to a Canadian member on here!

I thought you came across as you do in real life (a top bloke) and the same way you come across in your posts on your own race car builds (all of them, inc rebuilds!)

fifty50 - 6/7/12 at 09:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I may be interested in the chassis. Could you send me some more details please? owelly'at'owelly.co.uk
cheers.

I Will send you the details and Pics

fifty50 - 6/7/12 at 10:07 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett - the blokes an idiot...

Did I say he wasn't?

But, to put things in context, his welding is actually good regardless of his other characteristics. (He'd been a theatrical set builder for this is a necessary skill.) The fact that you saw him welding on the TV, and then saw a completely shonky weld does not mean that he actually did that weld... (I can't remember if this actually happened but it's a sound example nonetheless.)

Tim

Actually I disagree, the welding I saw him attempt was pretty abysmal, I had to show him how to use a mig, and I know this because it was my welder he was using , he actually had no idea how to use a mig, I believe he had only used an arc welder before.

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 10:12 AM

When he welded the support round the fuel tank, it was after he'd made his "attempt" at the pedals and that looked abysmal, then when he welded that support, it sounded as if someone had changed all his settings for him and it sounded as if it welded absolutely fine - I can only assume it was then that you proferred your advice!

As I say above though, my comment was only based on the sound of it.

Oh, and as fellow members on here would comment - I'm not the best welder going! (Hey Joe/TimC?)

fifty50 - 6/7/12 at 10:16 AM

quote:
quote:

Yes, I was there, I was in 2 or 3 episodes and, indeed, watched the whole thing before it went out, and after it went legal, to be sure there wasn't anything completely defamatory in it. The other chap was Mike Field.

The fix with the washers is because of the very common kit car issue about using 12mm bolts through a damper with 1/2" sphericals in it. He hadn't ordered the wrong dampers. Jeremy Phillips (Sylva) used to have an article on his web site about just this issue some years ago. It comes down to whether you're happy to rely on a bolt merely for its clamping ability or also want to be specific about it providing shear location.

It's worthwhile saying that, as in all TV programmes, you should take what appears on the TV with a giant pinch of salt. The TV crew filmed a huge amount of stuff and you could have edited it to give almost any impression you wanted. The truth is inevitably more bland and nuanced than is immediately apparent. That is, just regard it as entertainment...

Tim

Actually Tim, He had ordered the wrong dampers, different to those the car was designed for, we ran the car on standard Gaz adjustable dampers with a 1/2" hole size. He had ordered the Gaz double adjustable dampers that had a 12mm hole size and were also much narrower at the top and bottom and so had to be spaced in the brackets both in width and hole size. I think something else had to be changed to to take the dampers as they were fowling due to there slightly diffent shape and size, I can't remember now it that was on the fron or rear

Westy1994 - 6/7/12 at 01:55 PM

If Mr R is doing so well in these new ventures, with his posh website and the likes, how come he can't make some peace with Paul and pay the guy what he is owed. That surely has to restore some sort of confidence back into the guy?. I really don't understand how someone could live themselves otherwise.......

Steve Hignett - 6/7/12 at 02:35 PM

Strange that Westy, I was thinking something similar...

jacko - 7/7/12 at 06:44 PM

I could not stop laughing when he was fiber glassing the tube on the rear for the back lights wires .

And the time the bloke got hit on the hand when altering the chain length Think it was Carl the engine builder [ i would have hit the idiotwith the hammer]

[Edited on 7/7/12 by jacko]

SCAR - 7/7/12 at 08:51 PM

quote:
If Mr R is doing so well in these new ventures, with his posh website and the likes, how come he can't make some peace with Paul and pay the guy what he is owed. That surely has to restore some sort of confidence back into the guy?. I really don't understand how someone could live themselves otherwise.......

Its so easy to produce "over blown" websites, just read them with a cynical mind and the smell of virtual bullshit soon comes through. The clues are usually there such as long and impressive descriptive sentences with the use of multple adjectives that actually say very little. Location address' that is either domestic or small startup unit.
I recently came across an International business consultancy company claiming to have teams located round the world involved in major events organisation. No vat registration number, working out of the owners parents house and a quick check with COMPANY CHECK website (free) showed no turnover and £9.00 worth of company assets. Reading the website you would think they were advisers to ICI. Website was impressive though.
I'm not saying Mr Reynolds company is like this but try doing a search with Company Check, look at the company assets and value then sniff deeply. Oh and he isn't listed as a director.

Actually I really enjoyed watching Kit car crisis and Mr Reynolds is not alone, many, many build projects get sold as incomplete because people dont have the knowledge, time or skill required to complete them.
Its not easy for everyone to complete a kit car build and I thought the programmes inclusion of the projects problems and eventual failure was honest and refreshing
Sorry if somone lost out but business involves taking risks and the benefits had it turned out different could have been huge.
It would be sad if no similar programmes were made because this one "failed"

Confused but excited. - 7/7/12 at 09:51 PM

"Education Bristol Old Vic Theatre School".
Now it all becomes clear.

fifty50 - 8/7/12 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
quote:

Its so easy to produce "over blown" websites, just read them with a cynical mind and the smell of virtual bullshit soon comes through. The clues are usually there such as long and impressive descriptive sentences with the use of multple adjectives that actually say very little. Location address' that is either domestic or small startup unit.
I recently came across an International business consultancy company claiming to have teams located round the world involved in major events organisation. No vat registration number, working out of the owners parents house and a quick check with COMPANY CHECK website (free) showed no turnover and £9.00 worth of company assets. Reading the website you would think they were advisers to ICI. Website was impressive though.
I'm not saying Mr Reynolds company is like this but try doing a search with Company Check, look at the company assets and value then sniff deeply. Oh and he isn't listed as a director.

Actually I really enjoyed watching Kit car crisis and Mr Reynolds is not alone, many, many build projects get sold as incomplete because people dont have the knowledge, time or skill required to complete them.
Its not easy for everyone to complete a kit car build and I thought the programmes inclusion of the projects problems and eventual failure was honest and refreshing
Sorry if somone lost out but business involves taking risks and the benefits had it turned out different could have been huge.
It would be sad if no similar programmes were made because this one "failed"

Fifty50; I agree with everything you said, I also think these programes are entertaining and I have to admit i enjoy watching these types of programes, My problem was never with Discovery or Skibley the production company, It was MR who spun everything and didnt have the cash to pay for things and, his cash sponsers (if he ever really had one, never came through), also if he hadn't spat his dummy out the final part of the series would have gone ahead, the car would have got finished and however he perfored on track I think we would have come out of the programe looking OK

SCAR - 8/7/12 at 02:32 PM

I dont know any of the peolpe involved in the above but from my recent work experience (at least the last 15 years) we are living through the rise of the bullshitter. Usually described as consultants, advisors, or experts. It has had a massive destructive effect on the industry I was involved in and we are all now seeing it exposed in the banking industry. It no longer matters that you are able and capable or knowledgable meerly that you are prepared to claim to be so with overwhelming conviction. Just watch an episode of the apprentice, these people are our future. God help us!
Going in the garage now for some therapy

ben2011 - 26/7/12 at 02:01 PM

I've watched this series a few times (good old Discovery Turbo seems to be stuck on a cycle of old programmes at the moment).

Always thought the guy was a clown. A textbook case of all the gear, no idea

He could barely handle his turd brown Fury, let alone a rear engined 'busa racing car.

Always wondered what his ex-wife would say about him...

TimC - 26/7/12 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ben2011
I've watched this series a few times (good old Discovery Turbo seems to be stuck on a cycle of old programmes at the moment).

He could barely handle his turd brown Fury, let alone a rear engined 'busa racing car.

Great first post.

AndyW - 26/7/12 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:

Great first post.

Perhaps Ben2011 was his ex-wife.....

MikeR - 26/7/12 at 07:09 PM

I'm only half way through the series and so far he comes across as enthusiastic and a little out of his depth. he's making the mistakes I would if I didn't think everything through 20 times. basically a bloke having a bit of a mid life crisis (perhaps how they got the title). I'm looking forward to seeing it all fall apart but not at the same time. bloody annoying that people have ended up out of pocket tho, he should sort that out.

MikeR - 2/8/12 at 11:02 AM

I've watched the last few episodes .......... he's a muppet.

Someone needed to have a strongly worded chat with him (perhaps on camera for the drama) and stop him messing up.

I don't think the car comes off badly at all. If I was the chassis owner i'd be upset about the pedal box (i saw nothing wrong with it), the bolts (get the right size you muppet), and the diff (needed a 30 second sound bite about it not being designed for it and needing a week back at the factory to resolve, its what you get when you use none standard parts).

The rest of the programme came across as the guy not knowing what he was doing and getting increasingly out of his depth (wheels / brakes / oil lines etc etc), not taking / following advice (the chain being a great example) and hamming it up for the camera.

Rod Ends - 30/10/12 at 10:19 PM

Kit Car Crisis starts tomorrow (31st Oct) on Quest TV (Freeview 38) @ 5PM

quote:
Episode 1

Race car enthusiast Mark dreams of building and racing a kit car.
But can he achieve his ambitious plan to build an AGM WLR
and learn how to drive it in only three months?

steve m - 30/10/12 at 10:48 PM

More SHITE on tv!

time to cancel i think!!!

NS Dev - 16/11/12 at 08:46 PM

digging up an old thread, not sure how I stumbled across it now, after reading it all!!

Very informative.

We have been approached by several TV production companies (3 to be precise) to film various different series.

Only ONE were even on the right planet, and their ideas were good, but as with all good things, were going to be expensive (basically it would have meant paying for myself and my brother and our (at the time) 2 employees (basically £100 per hour) for 12 months solid work solely on stuff for the show) and I'm pretty sure that's why it got canned.

One of the others was sortof ok but the lack of direction I fear would have lead to similar problems as on Kit Car Crisis (which I have never seen by the way)

The final ones are, I'm pretty sure, now behind that shoddy, low budget, barrel scraping utter crap (struggling to find words to describe it politely here) that is Classic Car Rescue.

I think we may have put the production company off on that one when we laughed at them when they were filming the taster, such was the utterly shoddy basis for the series. On camera, with all of us "posed" in a huddle as if having a serious discussion on the merits of a vehicle, they then presented us with photographs of potential subject cars, the first of which was a dented, rusty, 1998 BMW 316..........and then asked us, in all seriousness, what we would do to "restore it".........I think the answer of "simple, scrap it" was not what they expected! After that we realised that this was going to be a wasted half day for all of us!!!

To give him his dues, the guy from the company with the first proposal was actually very switched on, had been to several relevant companies, and on visiting us did do a fair bit of work including involving his producer to re-structure the ideas for the show to make it more practical to film and more appealing to watch ( I think!). As I said though, good TV costs money, and I think that one was too expensive.

If it had gone ahead though, and the TV company hadn't paid us, one of two things would have happened, either they wouldn't have had anything to air, or we would be bankrupt!!

40inches - 16/11/12 at 09:01 PM

Oooops! Wrong thread (insert Blushing smiley)

[Edited on 17-11-12 by 40inches]

David Jenkins - 16/11/12 at 09:58 PM

Over the past few weeks I've watched a programme called "Beetle Crisis" - when I saw the title I thought "Oh no - it's another of THOSE programmes" but it was actually quite interesting. It's mostly about VW Beetle restoration (not too surprising!) but the people involved are craftsmen who really try to do a good job. Watching them trying to make a repro VW panel fit a bodyshell was interesting - not "this is a piece of rubbish, it'll never fit" but "this repro panel doesn't fit, I'll have to work to make it as good as the original" - and he does.

They also take time out to race legend race cars - one of my favourite racing categories!

Westy1994 - 16/11/12 at 10:06 PM

There's one called Campervan Crisis which follows the same format, some of the guys in it are in the VW Beetle one as well.

As for the excuse that is Classic Car Rescue, I gave up on episode 2, not seen any more since and don't want to either - complete waste of time and money.

BenB - 17/11/12 at 05:23 AM

I quite enjoy classic car rescue- but only to see how bad it is! It's so fake it's ridiculous. What I can't understand is how the valuer comes up with the values they do.

idgaf - 17/12/12 at 08:35 PM

hello Paul,
ive been trying to track you down,and for everyone else that's reading this i'm the person that bought the Dominator kit car company from Paul,the car that Paul built is still running fine and without any of the problems shown in the tv program, in fact the car is in Spain at the moment being used to give passenger ride's at a very fast race track,and if anyone is in Spain and want's to try it for them self's just contact me and i'll see wot i can do,

Paul can you please get in touch as i need some help from you

thanks
russ

clairetoo - 17/12/12 at 09:08 PM

I think that avatar needs a bit of shrinking..........................

ChrisW - 17/12/12 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

Fixed.

clairetoo - 18/12/12 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

Fixed.

erm.......no it aint ?

Edit - just checked , and it looks like as soon as the offending oversize avatar was removed , it was replaced just an hour later..........

[Edited on 18/12/12 by clairetoo]

ChrisW - 18/12/12 at 12:44 AM

Fixed it again!

Chris

bobinspain - 18/12/12 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by idgaf
hello Paul,
ive been trying to track you down,and for everyone else that's reading this i'm the person that bought the Dominator kit car company from Paul,the car that Paul built is still running fine and without any of the problems shown in the tv program, in fact the car is in Spain at the moment being used to give passenger ride's at a very fast race track,and if anyone is in Spain and want's to try it for them self's just contact me and i'll see wot i can do,

Paul can you please get in touch as i need some help from you

thanks
russ

Spain's a big place Russ.
Which track?

Wheels244 - 18/12/12 at 10:25 PM

Russ

Paul is now a dive instructor in the Philippines - he was flying out there shortly after I bought a chassis off him.
Unfortunately he hasn't responded to the numerous emails I've sent him.

Rob

idgaf - 18/12/12 at 11:11 PM

the car is at cartagena track,and thanks for letting me know where paul is what chassis did you buy from him

Wheels244 - 18/12/12 at 11:17 PM

One very similar to the Dominator|MK GT1

Are you manufacturing the Dominator kit ?

idgaf - 18/12/12 at 11:40 PM

yes ive got the mold's and jigs also i new body for it for road use give me a call on 07872652376 for any info

russ

ben2011 - 19/10/13 at 07:43 AM

This series is being shown all day today on discovery turbo. Followed by the much better A Racing Car is Born!

T66 - 19/10/13 at 08:36 AM

quote:
This series is being shown all day today on discovery turbo. Followed by the much better A Racing Car is Born!

Kit car crisis is a bit lame, but the racing car is born series is good - to be honest both programs influenced me to take the plunge and build a car.

ben2011 - 19/10/13 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:

Kit car crisis is a bit lame, but the racing car is born series is good - to be honest both programs influenced me to take the plunge and build a car.

Yeah the bloke is a complete muppet but it does inspire you to get out and build something! Racing Car is Born is a different take on things as the Westfield is a complete bolt together kit, but still great to watch especially with the hill climb and race elements at the end.

CosKev3 - 1/6/20 at 08:48 AM

Just watching this series for the first time 🤓

steve m - 1/6/20 at 04:39 PM

I couldn't bare to watch the series again, it was awful, and MR came out of what I watched as a total cock
I never knew why the series ended, but do now, !!!

I watched most of the Mark Evans series from cars to helis and an aeroplane, and he has a charisma that made it interesting
Also Wheeler dealers, not everyones favorite, But Mike B, does come over quite well, along with Ed China/Ant as good sidekicks

Camper Van crisis, was good fun, and his beetle was ok, and the format was ok, for its day

Jmho

steve