Board logo

Home Garage Car Lift
jeffw - 16/4/13 at 08:30 PM

I'm thinking of buying one of these

3 Width Adjustable Mini Tilting Car Lift - Chassis Tilter - Ramp Roller - New | eBay

Anyone any experience of this type of car lift? Any alternatives around at around £500 that would make it easier to work on the Phoenix?

Collective thoughts on the best car lift for a single storey garage with a flat roof.....

jossey - 16/4/13 at 08:39 PM

What about high lift jack and high axe stands.

I got mine upto waist high using boxes, axle stands and high lift jack.

Can't comment on the product above though

Dj

jeffw - 16/4/13 at 08:44 PM

I've done the jack/axle stand thing. The car has a floor in the engine bay and a rear diffuser to it is difficult to jack the car and remove these items using axle stands.

madmandegge - 16/4/13 at 08:48 PM

This is the video that seemed to stick in my mind:
edit - Can't find the video now but there's one of a fairly small car where he moves the stand around very easily with the car jacked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQ5Z7i0v_I - Video of a kit on a similar stand.

[Edited on 16/4/13 by madmandegge]

McLannahan - 16/4/13 at 09:21 PM

Recommend on another forum I'm a member on was this one...

http://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-09011-portable-tilting-lift/

300 plus VAT?

Nigel fury - 16/4/13 at 10:02 PM

I have one of the three width tilt lifts for my fury would not be without it.

[Edited on 16/4/13 by Nigel fury]

ashg - 16/4/13 at 10:38 PM

maxjax is what you need

http://www.maxjax.co.uk/

spiderman - 17/4/13 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
maxjax is what you need

Are they available for £500? That's really good value if they are.

Dale - 17/4/13 at 12:40 AM

I was looking at that kind of lift till I found an older 2 post lift for the 900 Canadian dollars. Nice thing about the tilting ones is you can hang on the wall when not it use.
Dale

Slimy38 - 17/4/13 at 05:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
maxjax is what you need

Are they available for £500? That's really good value if they are.

£1595 + VAT + shipping

jeffw - 17/4/13 at 06:01 AM

That will be no then.

britishtrident - 17/4/13 at 07:58 AM

1.5 tons on that ! ;-( just as well a Locost is under half that --- I certainly wouldn't like work under it without high stands at each cornet.

A few people have used high lift pallet trucks.

FASTdan - 17/4/13 at 08:31 AM

Looks scary as anything in the tilt position to me. As said maybe with a 500-600kg kit but wouldn't want anything else on it. Does it rely soley on the rubber to stop the vehicle sliding? As on most tin tops I cant imagine finding 'good' flat areas underneath to give proper support/resistance is going to be easy.

My mate has just bought a Hamer car lift to enable him to store two kits in his single garage. We visited the guy who designed them and supplies them, I was quite impressed. Though they are £1500 ish, so similar outlay to the maxjax but only manual lift. Only thing with the maxjax is ensuring you have a good floor/base to bolt it down to - I think I'd always be questioning if I'd got a good fix....

mark chandler - 17/4/13 at 09:29 AM

You can easily shorten a two post screw lift, mine was £275 off eBay and another £200 for a 4hp single phase motor.

Or if locost style how about buying some steel and using landrover defender screw jacks either side to raise I would look to make from something a bit more robust and have some diagonals.

Land rover defender jack | eBay

the one shown looks strong from the side, not so clever from the front if I was under it.

[Edited on 17/4/13 by mark chandler]

scudderfish - 17/4/13 at 09:51 AM

I have one of the tilting lifts. It works well, and has locking pins to lock it off at a convenient angle. The problem I have with it is that I have an underslung exhaust and I need to get the car up on axle stands before I can fit the lift underneath it.

jeffw - 17/4/13 at 11:04 AM

The intention is to only use it for the kit and to use axle stand to support the car when it is at the correct height. For £450 looks the best solution so far.

Looking at the Pallet truck idea I think the forks would be too short for the Phoenix at 1170mm because of the side pods.

[Edited on 17/4/13 by jeffw]

ashg - 17/4/13 at 11:29 AM

doh! missed the £500 bit

jeffw - 17/4/13 at 11:43 AM

Thats what we call project inflation lol

JAG - 17/4/13 at 12:02 PM

eBay adverts states "Low minimum height of 150 mm"

That wouldn't go under the chassis rails on my Locost - therefore I wouldn't buy one.

Does the Phoenix have enough clearance?

jeffw - 17/4/13 at 12:45 PM

Interesting point, might need some low level ramps to get this under....

britishtrident - 17/4/13 at 03:07 PM

As a above buy a length of decking board and cut into shorter lengths you run the car onto to get a jack or what ever under.

jeffw - 17/4/13 at 03:34 PM

Yeap....that would be the general idea.

In the absence of an alternative I think I'll get getting one of those.

Peteff - 17/4/13 at 04:49 PM

I used to drive onto 2 pieces of 4x2 before putting my jack under the car. It gave me enough clearance and there is always another use for it somewhere.