Board logo

Bill Cowley 750 race car
ceebmoj - 24/11/13 at 09:13 PM

I have just seen a picture of Bill Cowley's 750 formula car and think it looks stunning from this angle.

Description
Description

A bit like a small P4 from this angle does, any one have any pictures showing the car from other angles?

HowardB - 24/11/13 at 09:36 PM

I saw it at Donnington, and recall that it was designed a good few years ago by "grandfather in the aircraft industry" not sure as my memory is not what it er yes maybe.

On a serious note, there were some pictures posted on the 750mc facebook page, and a quick google image search brings up a few,..

hth

scutter - 24/11/13 at 09:55 PM

Is this the one?

I've been looking for the maker for ages, Cheers

ATB Dan

ceebmoj - 24/11/13 at 10:04 PM

That's the one. hear are a couple more pictures and some information.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Love the of center inlet. Apparently it has quite an interesting drive train layout. I would love to see more pictures if any one has them.

adithorp - 25/11/13 at 01:51 PM

That (or another the same) is regularly at Blyton track days doing testing. Very interesting drive train.

iank - 25/11/13 at 02:58 PM

I'll have a look tonight, there are some in the 750mc book iirc.

designer - 25/11/13 at 03:33 PM

Saw it a couple of times, beautiful looker.

Didn't his son race it after his dad finished?

andylancaster3000 - 26/11/13 at 12:25 PM

Great little car. Third generation Cowley now drives it I think.

Engine drives the box via a tooth belt so you can get the mid-engine package short enough to use a prop and live axle without a car 20' long!

Edit: sorry - didnt see the link describing car above!

[Edited on 26/11/13 by andylancaster3000]

adithorp - 26/11/13 at 01:40 PM

It now runs a Fiat "Fire" engine from a Punto, dry sumped and laid flat. The drive arrangement means the gearbox rotation is reversed, so the diff is flipped over to get the drive the right way. Last time I saw it, it broke the crank at the flywheel, but spares are cheap and plentyfull and it was back running the next weekend at Brands. Time before, the drive belt broke to the g/box and time before that they had carb problems...

bozla - 30/11/13 at 12:05 PM

There are a few kits now if you want to build a 750F. http://racekits.co.uk/
The Cowley car is a great looker and still competitive. But I think it's really hard to get the curved windscreen.