Board logo

Zonda replica anyone
mookaloid - 7/1/15 at 11:35 AM

eBay Item

Slimy38 - 7/1/15 at 11:43 AM

I'm sure there is a build thread for that car in LCB... I remember it being in Bahrain as he mentions in the description. It was certainly an interesting read.

maccmike - 7/1/15 at 11:44 AM

Would love one. Just not that one wah ha ha

mark chandler - 7/1/15 at 12:10 PM

Good concept, poor execution.

Cannot beat using plastic drain pipe as intercooler ducting.

Irony - 7/1/15 at 12:39 PM

It just doesn't look that well finished.

Fred W B - 7/1/15 at 12:56 PM

Thread here

Dick Axtell - 7/1/15 at 01:39 PM

Note the brief mention of it being "registered in UK as a modified Scorpio"!!!!!

MODIFIED??????

Like mine is a "modified" Capri!!

[Edited on 7/1/15 by Dick Axtell]

russbost - 7/1/15 at 01:48 PM

That is such a shame as the basic concept & shape are pretty good, but the execution is, ummmm, can't think of a polite word, but sh1te.
There is obviously a massive amount of work gone into that, unfortunately to make it tidy probably need the same amount again, & even tho' it's an Ultima chassis, how well has it been put together at the basic nuts & bolts stage? In fairness to him, he does at least say it needs IVA (tho' where you find a friendly, local IVA tester as he suggests I have no idea!) Getting that engine thro' IVA could be interesting too!

steve m - 7/1/15 at 02:29 PM

The same "attention to detail" is in the very poorly constructed advert

dreadful photos, and poor write up

I doubt it will sell,

russbost - 7/1/15 at 03:40 PM

Looked at another way, it could be a very cheap way of buying a complete Ultima kit, less bodyshell!

stevebubs - 7/1/15 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Looked at another way, it could be a very cheap way of buying a complete Ultima kit, less bodyshell!

Not quite... http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/build-diaries/13634-zonda-replica-kitcar-build-2.html

russbost - 7/1/15 at 05:58 PM

Ah! Maybe not EXACTLY an Ultima then! Definitely a case of buyer beware!!!

ceebmoj - 7/1/15 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Ah! Maybe not EXACTLY an Ultima then! Definitely a case of buyer beware!!!

having a look at
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Thread here
What you can see of the chassis it bears very little resemblance to an ultima chassis. I would assume it world be easy to do a better job if you wanted.

dickie b - 7/1/15 at 08:52 PM

Lets be fair - he has obviously spent a lot of time and effort on building this car. I agree that the standard of finish is rather rough (and the price is rather optimistic) but its all too easy to knock other people's efforts.

If it were mine I would try and make it look less like a Zonda and something more 'generic super car' .

Each to their own and all that .

02GF74 - 7/1/15 at 09:08 PM

Thats why we are here with our opinions. So no matter how many hours spent in it, if its poo then let us say so.

Shape looks pretty decent but the rest is below par, the intercoolers or is it oil cooler look to be full of mud/dirt.

550 bhp? Hmmm i doubt it, youd be max to push the chassis to the max, there is a reason zondas are expensive - they are designed and built by clued up people to high safety standards, that plainly is not.

myke pocock - 7/1/15 at 10:32 PM

Respect where its due but if the fabrication replicates the bodywork then buyer beware!!!

nicktruman - 8/1/15 at 10:45 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the assassination, i expected more from you lot

killerferret666 - 8/1/15 at 12:14 PM

Great project, Great idea and the fact you completed it is a testament.

But the bodywork needed a better finish. I honestly think if the bodywork was smooth and didn't have all the ripples and lines that aren't dead straight (like V on the bonnet) it would actually look quite reasonable.

The black paint at the rear shows the large wobbles bad. Light colours hide ripples more as well.

Presume you did the bodywork yourself which is part of the locost way I suppose but something i just couldn't do as the finish would not be to the level I want.

If I was buying I would want the engine mapped right though beforehand.

russbost - 8/1/15 at 01:43 PM

Hi Nick

Call that an assassination, you should see what's said about some people/projects!

In fairness, I don't think much has been said that's unfair, the problem is that if the bodywork was perfect, everybody would assume that the underpinnings were of similar quality, because the bodywork is some considerable way from perfect people will make the assumption that what's under it may be somewhat less than perfect. I had assumed from a brief glance at the ad that it actually had an Ultima chassis under it - if it had, that is a known quantity, as it hasn't people can only guess at how much engineering & how much guesswork has gone in to it - for instance has the chassis been properly rust inhibited & painted, if not it's pretty much take it to bits & start again, & obviously is it man enough to handle 500+ BHP? My comment of "buyer beware" would stand for any unknown project & the more unknowns the more it is applicable.

Re the price, I would have thought it COULD be worth a LOT more than the initial starting price, £7k won't buy a decent bike engined 7 never mind any sort of supercar, I dread to imagine what you've spent on it. But what scares people are the no. of unknowns, had you at least got the car thro' IVA that would remove a lot of the question marks & give the opportunity of a proper test drive.

It looks like the interior probably needs a fair bit of tidying & this is another area that can consume 100's of hours &/or money, plus is simply outside most people's capability.

If I were you, I would at a minimum give a lot more detail of the chassis, & more pics of the early build - yes I know people can follow links & threads etc. but many just won't bother, if there is any feasible way to get it thro' IVA & registered (even at significant expense) then I would do that, you could probably immediately double your price! Saying anything like "registered as Scorpio" simply degrades & devalues it.

Good luck with the sale & don't take to heart too many negative comments - what you have achieved to get it to the stage it's at is already way beyond most peoples ability to either do or comprehend, I would love to see it finished, hope you get decent money for it.

Russ

PS I think you may have bought the headlights from me?

adampage - 8/1/15 at 02:08 PM

Nick,
As a couple of people have said, hats off for doing so much work and having something pretty close to a Zonda, even if not perfect. You've done a hell of a lot, and included a lot of systems like electronics / entertainment / interior / paintwork which most builders never contemplate, so that's impressive. It's not my cup of tea or everyone else's but that's not important, it's your car, if you don't mind a few rough edges then that's your choice.

BUT BUT BUT - the main thing is - it WILL need an IVA. Absolutely no debate about it, and all this talk here or on the other forum of "doing something with the log book", "change the engine to the V8 and then it's an MOT" and "it's a 5.3 Scorpio" are complete nonsense, to put it politely.

I don't know if you've read anything at all about the IVA, but in no way shape or form does your car class as a modified Scorpio, it's a one-off scratch-built car, and will definitely need an IVA. Any other suggestion is just crazy. For your own safety as much as everyone else's......

Good luck, I hope it gets finished, and passes the IVA!

Ad

nicktruman - 8/1/15 at 03:16 PM

I know it will need an IVA, the logbook thing is so that it can keep its plate and not have a Q plate. On the points system it should qualify for an age related plate. Also if the age of the engine and donor were pre-cat I am hoping this should qualify as not needing a cat either..
I have not hidden that the car is totally handmade, the GRP is not from a mould or a kit, in the flesh the car look lovely, it really isn't as bad as some tyre kickers and arm chair experts try to make out. The plastic induction pipes were slowly being replaced with aluminium as I could afford to do so, having said that the plastic is good to 160 degs c, I would hope the engine bay never gets that hot. The megasquirt does auto tune, so mapping is easy just drive it for a few miles (something I cant do yet)

When i 1st started I took a lot of stick and sadly like some of the comments on here they are quite personal!

A chap has just been round to see it and I have been offered £6k for the car. He just wants something to tinker with. There are 316 watchers on ebay and over 17000 views, an independent motoring magazine has written this article: http://www.motortorque.com/news/replica-pagani-zonda-up-for-sale-on-ebay-26575

I think its fair to say +ve vibes are there

russbost - 8/1/15 at 04:04 PM

CAT or no CAT depends on engine age, not donor age, pre July '95 IIRC to qualify for no CAT, hence why I thought it might be interesting to get that engine with an aftermarket ign/fuelling system& hybrid turbos thro' IVA as surely it must be post July '95? Not saying it can't be done, I'm sure it can, but might require a bit of time & effort!

If you can show it used the steering, axles & brakes from the Granada then with a NEW chassis you should have enough points to keep an age related reg.

If I had the space I would happily part with 6k for it if the chassis is of a decent standard, I would hold out for more, it's not the sort of car/project you expect to sell overnight, but surely as a properly finished vehicle would have to be worth £40 or £50k? (providing of course Zonda aren't feeling litigious, tho' it's probably sufficiently different that they couldn't do anything anyway, unfortunately court actions are kinda expensive!)

nicktruman - 8/1/15 at 04:16 PM

The engine is 1990, donor 1989.. and I bought the hi/lo projector headlights from you

Sadly spending anymore on this car is not an option, have an old Ferrari Dino and its got rot, that has to be my priority. So the Zonda is being sacrificed to sort out Italian cancer

maccmike - 8/1/15 at 06:36 PM

He was stood in front of you with £6grand? Id have snapped his hand off.
A lot of people 'watch' on ebay just for curiosity. And some of the ones that do bid become problematic anyway.

turbodisplay - 8/1/15 at 07:26 PM

Fair play for putting your hand up and challenging "the haters" (feel all american now!).

How did you make the body? Looking at it closely it is sooth but not flat if you know what I mean.
I find that electric sanders works well at flattening fibreglass.

Darren

02GF74 - 8/1/15 at 07:27 PM

£ 6 k cash? Take it.

I've spent many hours and ££££s on mine and even though it is in pretty decsnt shape, i would expect to get back less than half of what i spent, i will never get compensated for my time.

It is a hobby, not a money spinner.

maccmike - 10/1/15 at 08:38 PM

Some nutter has put a bid in!

jeffw - 10/1/15 at 09:58 PM

"Now fitted with a new V8 engine it has a 3.7l Audi V8 with twin (huge) T2/3 hybrid turbos and external waste gates"

Which car is this from? I'm not aware of any 3.7l V8 Audi engines, 2.7l TT V6 (RS4 or S4 B5) or the 4.2 TT V8 (C5 RS6) yes but no 3.7l V8 TT.

nicktruman - 10/1/15 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
"Now fitted with a new V8 engine it has a 3.7l Audi V8 with twin (huge) T2/3 hybrid turbos and external waste gates"

Which car is this from? I'm not aware of any 3.7l V8 Audi engines, 2.7l TT V6 (RS4 or S4 B5) or the 4.2 TT V8 (C5 RS6) yes but no 3.7l V8 TT.

The engine is a 3.7l 48v V8 removed from a V8 Quattro, you could just google it??

jeffw - 10/1/15 at 11:05 PM

Ahhh, OK, so this is a NA engine with turbos added by you?

nicktruman - 10/1/15 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Ahhh, OK, so this is a NA engine with turbos added by you?

I guess so 15psi boost controlled by external waste gates. It is very quick, if you are not sitting back and you punch the gas it hurts your neck. The 5.3l Jag V12 had twin T25 turbos and that was fast, but the V12 is VERY heavy, the V8 is really light, revs higher and is much more powerful.

prawnabie - 10/1/15 at 11:39 PM

I take my hat off to you nick!

jossey - 11/1/15 at 11:53 AM

I like it.

Good luck with the sale.

David