Board logo

Another car thread.
swanny - 26/2/15 at 10:39 PM

Hello all,

I sold my mgzt 260 a year ago and have had a year of a boring car. So I'm due something a bit more interesting again.
My criteria is fairly loose but I'm out of ideas as to what I should look at next.

The 260 made a great noise and was pretty quick, having a 4.6 v8 but was also a useable alternative family car.

Can anyone suggest something that is fun to drive, engaging but might occasionally stand in as a useful second car?

Not too fussed about mpg etc. budget is about 6-7 k I'm sure the collective has an idea or two.

Paul

theduck - 26/2/15 at 10:57 PM

What kind of interesting?

DC2 integra? Best handling FWD car ever

S4?

Impreza STI? or a Legacy if an impreza is too boy racer looking.

tegwin - 26/2/15 at 11:05 PM

Weirdly I have always had a hankering for a mk4 golf r32..... Apparently not as fast as you'd hope but good fun if you fiddle with them..

The quickest car by far and the most practical I have owned has to be a Leon cupra r with a remap and other fiddles (300hp or so) shame the interior was so awful

swanny - 27/2/15 at 09:25 AM

I had previously toyed with the idea of a cupra R, but like you thought the interior didnt feel a very special place.
excellent shout on the legacy and a4. wifey has previously refused an impreza so the legacy might be a decent way to sneak that engine into the household!

i am very attracted by the idea of the a4, especially as it would let me have another v8 as a daily driver. :-)

as ever sound advice from the locost world

tegwin - 27/2/15 at 01:50 PM

Some of the older BMW and Merc luxury saloons with V8s, V10s etc seem to be pretty cheap... I guess they cost much money to refuel but bang for buck some of them look like a giggle....

If your thinking A4.... how about a passat with a w12 ?

Edit to add... im confusing myself... the passat was available with a W8 engine... the Phaeton was available with a W12....

[Edited on 27/2/15 by tegwin]

dubzter - 27/2/15 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Weirdly I have always had a hankering for a mk4 golf r32..... Apparently not as fast as you'd hope but good fun if you fiddle with them..

The quickest car by far and the most practical I have owned has to be a Leon cupra r with a remap and other fiddles (300hp or so) shame the interior was so awful

I've got a Mk4 R32, had it since new, absolutely love it even though it isn't that fast standard. I've tinkered with mine a bit and fitted a low pressure VF stage 1 supercharger around 5-6 psi, blueflame cat back stainless exhaust, KW stainless coilovers and porsche 996t colour coded calipers up front. Love the noise the VR6 engine makes but I've been a VW fan all my driving life so maybe wear rose tinted specs.

brookie - 27/2/15 at 06:25 PM

bmw 130i

tegwin - 27/2/15 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dubzter
quote:

I've got a Mk4 R32, had it since new, absolutely love it even though it isn't that fast standard. I've tinkered with mine a bit and fitted a low pressure VF stage 1 supercharger around 5-6 psi, blueflame cat back stainless exhaust, KW stainless coilovers and porsche 996t colour coded calipers up front. Love the noise the VR6 engine makes but I've been a VW fan all my driving life so maybe wear rose tinted specs.

Sounds like my dream car... if you told me it was deep pearl blue in 3 door id be really upset :p

dubzter - 27/2/15 at 08:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dubzter
quote:

Sounds like my dream car... if you told me it was deep pearl blue in 3 door id be really upset :p

Sorry and this was my first attempt at light painting

[Edited on 27/2/15 by dubzter]

[Edited on 1/3/15 by dubzter]

tegwin - 27/2/15 at 08:03 PM

Baaaa..... Cretin

dubzter - 27/2/15 at 08:39 PM

Oh, apologies for the thread jack Swanny.

Simon - 28/2/15 at 01:48 PM

Well, sold my 260 about 6 or 7 years ago and much as I loved it, it wasn't overly quick but cost a fortune to run to the extent that when I replaced it with my previous Espace, I saved so much that it was essentially a free car

So I replaced that Espace with a newer one a year ago and all I can say is Long live the boring car

I have a TF for laughs now!

ATB

Simon