Board logo

Inside space
dave107 - 12/3/15 at 07:40 PM

Hoping the vast knowledge from locost builders can help me.

Got a project at work were I have been given the task to get official figures on the internal cockpit area/volumes of cars , all the cars are used in motorsport. Is there somewhere I can get these figures, car sales brochure specifications show boot litres but not cockpit litres or volume.

Help please.

Dave

PSpirine - 12/3/15 at 07:46 PM

Not something that's usually published anywhere. Primarily as it's an entirely pointless technical dimension for a customer

Lots of variables as well - trimmed, untrimmed? doors on/off?

dave107 - 12/3/15 at 07:58 PM

Thanks for quick reply

Yes I agree not usual question you would ask in a car showroom, but this is motorsport and race cars, doors on, usually two seats no back seat normal dash but the rest pretty much stripped out, wonder if I would get any info if I phoned any race teams.

02GF74 - 12/3/15 at 08:21 PM

Is it a joke task?

I doubt youll get any figures.

joneh - 12/3/15 at 08:23 PM

Have you been asked to find left hand screws, a long wait etc as well?

dave107 - 12/3/15 at 08:51 PM

No it's not a joke, absolutely serious, extracting someone out of a crashed car in a given time when life is at stake using special equipment, that is the task.

bi22le - 12/3/15 at 09:03 PM

Do you need to collate lots of cars to compare or an average single figure to base some work on?

Depending on your backing resource I would consider getting yourself along to a club day hill climb with a measuring system. Depending on accuracy this could be quite easy. A case of measuring the external dimensions and subtracting a sensible amount will get you in the region. Especially if this is supported by more accurate measurements to prove the external dimensions to internal dimensions ratio.

A nice little project that. Should keep you tied up for a week.

maccmike - 12/3/15 at 10:23 PM

Maybe some form of pressure test or vacuum pull could work if you seal vents and window seals with gaffer tape.

Your task has a huge amount of variables..

morcus - 12/3/15 at 10:55 PM

How accurate an answer are you looking for? Getting the pictures manufacturers put out with external dimensions would probably give a pretty close answer from calculating external volume and subtracting a reasonable amount for shell space and fittings.

THIS site seems to have some but I couldn't work out how to navigate and the dimension is in cubic feet but it might help, especially if 5 series was on your list.

sebastiaan - 13/3/15 at 07:32 AM

These guys: https://www.ihs.com/industry/automotive.html might be able to help. Won't be cheap though....

snapper - 13/3/15 at 07:38 AM

My first inquiry would use a standard letter explaining the intent i.e. to provide data to assist Motorsport in safe extraction of people from crashed race cars, to all major manufacturers and possibly their Motorsport divisions and see what comes back

Pojo - 13/3/15 at 08:35 AM

if this project is not on behalf of the MSA it might be worth getting in touch with them or BMMC, sometimes our yearly training involves extracting drivers from tin tops. Either of these must have relevant data.

jps - 13/3/15 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dave107
No it's not a joke, absolutely serious, extracting someone out of a crashed car in a given time when life is at stake using special equipment, that is the task.

Out of interest - how does knowing the internal volume of the cockpit (before it is potentially rearranged in the preceeding crash) going to be of use to this?

I'm thinking that the fire service approach to dealing with this is to cut cars apart to extract people - and to treat them in situ...?

dhutch - 13/3/15 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps

Out of interest - how does knowing the internal volume of the cockpit (before it is potentially rearranged in the preceeding crash) going to be of use to this?

Was wondering the same myself,

Daniel

jps - 24/3/15 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Was wondering the same myself,

Daniel

Seems we'll never know...