Board logo

Alternative towing system
macdave69 - 13/7/16 at 04:40 PM

Anyone see a problem with the system is have drawn aside from dodgy drawing. I know it all has to be braked and I have an idea on that . But will it fall off at the first corner?
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B268msb6lKMuVWdIbFFsd25Va00/view?usp=drivesdk[/img]

blakep82 - 13/7/16 at 04:49 PM

Going round corners for a starter

And I expect the rear wheels, being attached to inflated rubber tyres won't stay entirely straight, so I'd be incredibly surprised if it tows straight

[Edited on 13/7/16 by blakep82]

r1_pete - 13/7/16 at 05:45 PM

Don't want to sound rude, but that would be like towing a heavy supermarket trolley.

hizzi - 13/7/16 at 06:02 PM

i have done extensive research into tow dollies having used them for years , they are effectively banned , your design would be illegal to use on the road for various reasons, the dolly wheels all need to be braked, even without the rear dolly and using a standard 2 wheel dolly at the front you can only use to transport a broken down car to a place of safety.
you wont see any reputable recovery company using dollys any more, even the aa systems you see are attached to the van and not stand along dollys.

ReMan - 13/7/16 at 06:06 PM

couldnt get the link to work

adithorp - 13/7/16 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
couldnt get the link to work

Or me.

mark chandler - 13/7/16 at 07:56 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B268msb6lKMuVWdIbFFsd25Va00/view?usp=drivesdk

Spend £300 on a scruffy caravan based trailer

perksy - 13/7/16 at 08:33 PM

Sorry, but I doubt it would make it to the bottom of your road without incident

owelly - 13/7/16 at 08:35 PM

The rear dollies are currently available for use with a spec lift so there's no reason why it won't work for a towed dolly but as said, all the wheels will need to be braked and since overrun brakes for 'trailers with axles more than 1000mm apart' have been outlawed, you'll need some sort of electronic/electric brake operated by the tow vehicle....... Just buy a trailer.

[Edited on 13/7/16 by owelly]