Board logo

1 inch crack = written off Corvette
r1_pete - 13/9/17 at 04:52 PM

Don't know whether This is unbelievable or fascinating, but its a real pisser for the owner.

[Edited on 13/9/17 by r1_pete]


ian locostzx9rc2 - 13/9/17 at 05:21 PM

Not sure where that is or what it's made off but I'm sure it could be repaired but insurance companies right off car very easily these days .


scudderfish - 13/9/17 at 06:13 PM

When I had a Lotus Elise, I went off a roundabout and bounce over a kerb. Near the top rear suspension mount I cracked the glue in a joint in the chassis. The chassis was replaced and the bill came to only 14k as Lotus charged about 28 per hour to the insurance company.


Slimy38 - 13/9/17 at 06:14 PM

Go into the forum and have a look at the repair bill... it's shocking!!

M8x1.25x30 bolts, four of, $18.72...

More than 2K for a new exhaust...

2.5K to take out and put back the drivetrain...

$186 for 'panel bond', erm does that mean 'a tube of glue'??

The bill doesn't even include the actual part of the chassis that needs to be replaced!!


theconrodkid - 14/9/17 at 06:52 AM

there is a fella on youtube that buys writeoffs in the us ( copart), he has shown some tesla ,s that have been written off just for a scrape and some paintwork, has to be a scam ?


Bluemoon - 14/9/17 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
there is a fella on youtube that buys writeoffs in the us ( copart), he has shown some tesla ,s that have been written off just for a scrape and some paintwork, has to be a scam ?


Probably.. I do see the issue though if it was a steel chassis fine it would be an easy fix, but a if a highly stressed aluminium part is cracked as claimed not so sure? It seems to be the junction between chassis elements that's cracked and reading around that part may be boned not just welded to the rest of the chassis making repair a PITA. Still repair might be possible?

Still photos don't convince me it's actually a crack, the crack is looks dark in the photos (i.e. is this actually a crease from production that is painted over?)...

[Edited on 14/9/17 by Bluemoon]


Ugg10 - 14/9/17 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
When I had a Lotus Elise, I went off a roundabout and bounce over a kerb. Near the top rear suspension mount I cracked the glue in a joint in the chassis. The chassis was replaced and the bill came to only 14k as Lotus charged about 28 per hour to the insurance company.


At 28 per hour they can service my car anytime, not sure how they can make any money on that.


jollygreengiant - 14/9/17 at 11:05 AM

IF I understand the construction of a Corvette body shell correctly, they have a steel chassis that has the body shell formed around it. So the glass fibre laminate is formed (as I understand it) and directly bonded to it. Hence the cost of repair and writing off.

Edit bit. If you want some idea of the complexity of fixing cracks in Corvette body, just watch channel 4's Car SOS season 3 episode 9 - Little black Corvette.

[Edited on 14/9/17 by jollygreengiant]


davidimurray - 14/9/17 at 12:28 PM

It's difficult to see in the pictures, but it looks like more than a 'bump'. You can see where the material has been scraped off as if it has been grounded. I wouldn't think that was a crack, it actually look like the material has been ground away. If you look at the 'plugs' around the area they seem to have 4-5 rings, the main one in the damaged area has 2-3 so is that a suggestion that the whole area is half as thick as it should be!

If it is a bonded chassis then welding would be a challenge - how do you control heat flow so as not to damage components or the bonding in. I'm sure it could be done - but it would be at the liability of the repairer if something happened.


morcus - 14/9/17 at 06:33 PM

I saw this on Jalopnik this morning and there article did seem to suggest the big issue was warrantee and the part not being available through official means. TBH if it was a fairly new car you are better off if its written off as the record of the repair showing up will make your car much harder to pass on at the end of your ownership.


davew823 - 15/9/17 at 11:16 AM

You are probably on the right track with warranty, plus you add in the corporate lawyers in the USA, and things get real stickie. The original aluminum Z06 frame was design to have both front and rear frame weld-on clips replaced, note a triangle in the frame side rail as pick up point for sectioning. But only at selected dealers with the correct equipment and special GM training for the techs. My guess is that a few dealers screw up the repair jobs, an hence the lawyers now taking the " it's totaled" way out. Davew823


MikeRJ - 15/9/17 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
It's difficult to see in the pictures, but it looks like more than a 'bump'. You can see where the material has been scraped off as if it has been grounded. I wouldn't think that was a crack, it actually look like the material has been ground away. If you look at the 'plugs' around the area they seem to have 4-5 rings, the main one in the damaged area has 2-3 so is that a suggestion that the whole area is half as thick as it should be!



That's exactly what I thought, it looks very much like a fair bit of material has been ground away and the material has been thinned. However I'd have expected that would have required a fairly sustained 'grounding' on something rather than a rock etc. bouncing down the bottom of the car.