Board logo

Buying a Spacesaver
SJ - 13/1/18 at 11:04 AM

My new Mazda 6 doesn't come with spare wheel but has space for one so I'm thinking of buying one. Second hand would be cheaper but I'm not averse to buying a new on. Anyone got experience of any suppliers?

The car has 225 x 17's so I assume I need a 17" space saver, but can't seem to find rolling radius details anywhere.

Cheers

Stu

[Edited on 13/1/18 by SJ]

jacko - 13/1/18 at 11:30 AM

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/space-saver-wheels/mazda

Slimy38 - 13/1/18 at 12:40 PM

Can you fit a full wheel in there by any chance? I'd always go for a full wheel if possible, and they usually end up being cheaper (well, at least second hand). My car has got a space saver, but it's actually got a spacer underneath it so it can fit in a full wheel well!!

SJ - 13/1/18 at 12:46 PM

Thanks. I'll check on space for a full sized tyre but would prefer a space saver I think as it leaves a bit more space for bits and pieces in the boot.

Looks like they have no stock on the Wheel shop.

Cheers

Stu

[Edited on 13/1/18 by SJ]

rusty nuts - 13/1/18 at 04:12 PM

Don't forget a jack and wheel brace, you'd be surprised how many people have a spare but ne means of fitting it

SJ - 13/1/18 at 06:08 PM

Good point Rusty - the link Jacko gave has a package that includes a jack etc. Previously I've always carried a proper wheel brace rather than the short OEM ones.

Cheers

Stu

ianhurley20 - 13/1/18 at 09:41 PM

I had the same issue with my DS4. No spare tyre and a container of slime to fix any deflation. Didn't work on my first puncture.
The space for a spare was taken by the electric handbrake mechanism and Citroen said no room for a spare. RUBBISH!
After several try outs I have found that a full size spare will fit in the space but leaves no room for a jack etc. Other options are a 16" space saver (sets of the ESP or whatever its called as the other wheels are 18" a full size smaller wheel from a similar car (same issue but better).

I am happy with the full size spare and find room for a jack somewhere. Its no good with a deflated tyre that will not inflate with a canister of slime.