Board logo

Accident waiting to happen
Charlie C - 29/6/18 at 06:55 AM

Spotted this Haynes roadster rolling chassie on ebay eBay Item on the 8th photo the diff/suspension cage just looks like an accident waiting to happen, the rear supports don’t connect with the diff/suspension cage and there is no horizontal triangulation. Any weight on it will make it collapse, I hope whoever buys it will notice the problem but I worry that people experienced enough to notice wont touch it with a bargepole.

eBay Item

bonzoronnie - 29/6/18 at 07:13 AM

The welding on the front wishbones leave a lot to be desired, very grim.

What on earth is going on with those steering rack extensions !!

I too would give that a wide berth.

Charlie C - 29/6/18 at 08:30 AM

I didn't spot those extentions they are just wrong.

[Edited on 29/6/18 by Charlie C]

myke pocock - 29/6/18 at 09:04 AM

Worth it for the parts though?

CosKev3 - 29/6/18 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
Spotted this Haynes roadster rolling chassie on ebay eBay Item on the 8th photo the diff/suspension cage just looks like an accident waiting to happen, the rear supports don’t connect with the diff/suspension cage and there is no horizontal triangulation. Any weight on it will make it collapse, I hope whoever buys it will notice the problem but I worry that people experienced enough to notice wont touch it with a bargepole.

eBay Item

Welding on the wishbones looks awful,not enough penetration

Ref the diff mounting,if you look at MK indys/Mac1 even the newer indy R they only use the front two long bolts to mount the diff to chassis,same as that one in the link.

I agree the top wishbone mounting bars/cage set up looks dodgy though to me

Mr Whippy - 29/6/18 at 12:02 PM

tbh it's only £650... comes with engine and gearbox too, panels, seats, diff, wheels & brakes ... feck me a total bargain

Even if a few of the welds needs redone and some extra bracing from the roll bar it would save someone a heap of work and money

Mind too there are plenty of 7's and classic cars with no roll bar at all.. and even as it is you far more likely to survive a roll over in that than a standard Landrover Defender.

Charlie C - 29/6/18 at 12:19 PM

We’re not talking about the roll bar it’s the rear cage that site around the diff and supports the rear wishbones it needs the basic supports not additional, if the basic chassis doesn’t connect up it make me wonder what else is misaligned.
The concern is the quality of the work and the welds, an unsuspecting purchaser may think the chassis is complete without the need for finishing.
I’m not sure its a bargain mx5 engines and boxes and as cheap as chips.

CosKev3 - 29/6/18 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
. feck me a total bargain

Really?

Can't see that myself.By the looks of the visible welds in pics I reckon that chassis would end up as a pile of cut up box section once the welds have been looked at closely.

myke pocock - 29/6/18 at 03:37 PM

Add the cost of the parts available alone and then tell me its not a bargain. What is the going rate for Cortina uprights for a start?

CosKev3 - 29/6/18 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Add the cost of the parts available alone and then tell me its not a bargain. What is the going rate for Cortina uprights for a start?

Less than £100

Edwardo - 12/7/18 at 08:54 PM

Looks like someone did buy it for the bits and the chassis is now back on Ebay. This is the same one isn't it?:-

Ebay Link