Board logo

Stoneleigh Show
robinsoncrusoe55 - 5/5/19 at 10:20 PM

Been to Stoneleigh show today ....

Its been great walking about outside, seeing all the different cars, and
chatting to their owners etc .....

But whats happened inside!! .... shocked by the so few manufacturers, and the stands are just not whats expected of a national kit car show...... not good!!

Will definately think twice about going next year!!

big_wasa - 6/5/19 at 07:55 AM

I woke up yesterday and looked at the weather and thought, nah I can’t be bothered.

The wife said come on and I am pleased she did. I enjoyed the walk around. Inside and out.

I think the market is moving more upmarket with the “ Locost “ gone from Locost but there was more there than I expected.

Slimy38 - 6/5/19 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

I think the market is moving more upmarket with the “ Locost “ gone from Locost but there was more there than I expected.

Yes I felt the same, I think it was the first time I'd seen more Cobra manufacturers than 7's. I didn't see the usual selection of smaller 'one man band' outfits exhibiting random ideas. Some of the best cars at the shows from the last few years have been individuals or similar. And I've just realised, Ultima weren't there!!

As for the outside, this might be controversial but I quite liked the fact that a lot of the grounds were fenced off. There's clearly a significant drop in kit cars from the likes of ten to fifteen years ago, and last year had two or three cars per pitch and acres of empty space between them. Bringing the clubs together on tighter pitches made things feel a lot 'busier' which was good.

ianhurley20 - 6/5/19 at 01:42 PM

I went on Sunday and had a really good day with 3 friends. I was surprised at the lack of some of the manufactuers - Ultima seem to be going towards building cars for customers so I was not surprised to see they had given the show a miss. On the other hand Tiger were not there and today I saw what they did instead - they took 4 cars to an NVTEC vintage rally at Stradsett near Swaffham in Norfolk. I didn't see Jim or Paul at their tent and I don't see them selling many 7's to tractor and stationary engine exhibitors, at least the Stonleigh show would have had more potential customers for them.
I'm not really in the Cobra market so it was good to see the pro-active exhibitors like MK and GBS well represented.

rusty nuts - 6/5/19 at 05:21 PM

Not sure if I will bother going again

Dick Axtell - 6/5/19 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Went on Sunday, and, like robinsoncruesoe55, I liked the outside clubs area more than the displays inside. But couldn't locate the Locost Club area (supposed to be block 73D, according to the show programme). There were some Locosts, appearing on other club areas. Probably yet sign that the LSIS owners have headed into groups following other kit producers. This showed clearly on the main 73 block, with rhocars, GBS, and Dax each having a marked club area. Both Marlin and GTM had very well-attended club areas, and the NWKCOG also had a significant number in their group.

The hall, in which Rallye Design had their stand, was partitioned off, leaving a large area unused. By comparison, there was a great number of cars in the public parking area, (my car's off the road), so the organisers seemed to have done OK.

Will wait and watch for next year.

andy188 - 6/5/19 at 07:47 PM

Just got back our selves, we all a good time, 12 off us from 3 generations, been there all weekend, hear what you are saying, if we all stop going there will be no kitcar industry at all, we all need to support each other, suppliers and builders a like, yes its getting smaller, think we all need to ask why and what we would like to move forward, one thing we did notice was the age group of kitcar builders, we are mostly in a latter years, food for thought for us all.

Thanks all for a good show and meeting up with fellow suppliers and builders.

Paul M - 6/5/19 at 09:41 PM

Have to post t my own twopenneth, I didn't go this year for
the 1st time in probably 10-12 years - have been a regular attendar since 1997-I have been on call with work for the weekend - I could have changed it to be honest, but, I honestly felt it wasn't worth the hassle- the last two years I have seriously questioned if I would bother
going again- in 2017 & 2018 - I saw everything in a couple of hrs and left witout purchasing a thing - the industry , as I remember it , has virtually died.
It's not enough to have good club displays and a place for people to meet up & chat once a year - there needs to be someting inside to attract new buyers / builders, but , as has been noted, the move seems to be toward selling completed £40K cars - not builders plugging away, sometimes for years in their garages, desperate to get their car on the road.
Just think how many manufacturers have closed up over the last 10 years - or look @ the TotalKitcars.com weekly industry update every Friday,
God love Steve Hole for trying , but he literally has nothing to write about- what was once an essential weekly read is now usually just a
couple of press releases from Tool or wheel manufacturers or a long plug for the next issue of his magazine - carwise, there is just nothing to report anymore.

I'd love to go to Stoneleigh next year, but , more importantly, I'd love there to be something there worth me making the 200 mile round trip for.

ReMan - 6/5/19 at 10:58 PM

Ive been going for 15 years.
It varies from year to year, but considering the weather and Breexit, I didn't think it was a bad turn out at all.
Some makes will always do better than others.
As said if we all take the view that its not what it used toi be then it to will spiral to demise

theduck - 7/5/19 at 07:51 AM

Just hope it is there next year, there was more than one trader suggesting this was the last one.

HowardB - 7/5/19 at 07:56 AM

As I walked in there were people comparing favourably to other car shows that they had been to,. I thought it was quiet and I only stayed for 3 hours

JPSC was as ever well represented and had a good selection of cars and membership

I'll aim to go in the kit next year

Norfolkluegojnr - 7/5/19 at 07:59 AM

As a first time visitor, i guess I can add a different perspective.

Firstly, the organisation was poor. When I arrived, I queued up, a bloke gave me a programme, and I drove in. No signs as to where to go, and no marshalls to ask. I ended up parking in a random spot, with no idea (still) whether it was a cap park or not.

The map in the show guide was useless, and I ended up essentially just wandering about.

The club stands were interesting, people friendly as I would expect, but it felt far more like a 'village green' type show than the biggest kit car show in the world.

The indoor area felt half finished. No logic to the layout, or signage to find what you wanted. This is not a slight on the guys running the stands who were friendly and interesting.

There was nothing engaging going on, other than the Westfield drift area. I never found the off-road bit, such was the poor signage. It desperately needed more moving displays to make it interesting for people that aren't 'show and shine' types like me.

Couldn't find a cash point onsite, therefore couldnt get a coffee. Small things, but important. Filthy burger van is not my idea of catering.

All in all, I'm glad I went, but after 3 hours in the kit there, I was looking forward to the drive home after 2 hours. That sums it up really.

I'll give Kitfest a whirl, maybe thats more my cup of tea.

HowardB - 7/5/19 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

Firstly, the organisation was poor. When I arrived, I queued up, a bloke gave me a programme, and I drove in. No signs as to where to go, and no marshalls to ask. I ended up parking in a random spot, with no idea (still) whether it was a cap park or not.

The map in the show guide was useless, and I ended up essentially just wandering about.

The club stands were interesting, people friendly as I would expect, but it felt far more like a 'village green' type show than the biggest kit car show in the world.

The indoor area felt half finished. No logic to the layout, or signage to find what you wanted. This is not a slight on the guys running the stands who were friendly and interesting.

There was nothing engaging going on, other than the Westfield drift area. I never found the off-road bit, such was the poor signage. It desperately needed more moving displays to make it interesting for people that aren't 'show and shine' types like me.

Couldn't find a cash point onsite, therefore couldnt get a coffee. Small things, but important. Filthy burger van is not my idea of catering.

All in all, I'm glad I went, but after 3 hours in the kit there, I was looking forward to the drive home after 2 hours. That sums it up really.

Did you find the JPSC stand

H

Norfolkluegojnr - 7/5/19 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

Did you find the JPSC stand

H

I did indeed, but only after i'd found my incorrect parking spot though!

As I say - nothing against the show, I came to support it because I'd love to see more kit car shows, but it did feel somewhat lacking.

Perhaps my expectations were wrong, but it felt more like a club rally, and less like a large organised show.

Either way, lets hope it continues to see good support. Its the only way our industry will survive!

rusty nuts - 7/5/19 at 12:46 PM

Your not alone with not being able to find the right spot to park, I’ve been going years and couldn’t find the Luego owners pitch. Eventually found it in the Grand Arena, not where the map showed.

furryeggs - 7/5/19 at 02:25 PM

It took me a good half hour to find the tiger pitch driving around like a plonker. Site staff didn't know where it was either, stayed for about and hour and left.

Tiger themselves weren't even there, just the owners club with some brochures collected on the way. They were at a classic car show instead.

Disappointed at the amount of trade stands and manufacturers this year

DavidhMX5 - 7/5/19 at 06:05 PM

I think it's just the way the car world is these days.
Back in the 70s / 80s blokes working on there daily cars during the weekend was normal. These days I suspect 90% couldn't even change a wiper blade. The knowledge of how a car works is disappearing with the older generation. Sure there are still some younger ones with the know how but they are the exception rather than the norm. Building a car, even from a comprehensive kit is way beyond the capability of the average person these days.
I popped in to my local car parts shop on Monday. Now back when I was a lad there where six people serving and the queue would still be out the door. I was the only one in there and just one person on the counter. Such a shame as it's a great old school place with really knowledgeable staff. I doubt it will be there in 5 years time.

G13BLocost - 8/5/19 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidhMX5
I think it's just the way the car world is these days.
Back in the 70s / 80s blokes working on there daily cars during the weekend was normal. These days I suspect 90% couldn't even change a wiper blade. The knowledge of how a car works is disappearing with the older generation. Sure there are still some younger ones with the know how but they are the exception rather than the norm. Building a car, even from a comprehensive kit is way beyond the capability of the average person these days.
I popped in to my local car parts shop on Monday. Now back when I was a lad there where six people serving and the queue would still be out the door. I was the only one in there and just one person on the counter. Such a shame as it's a great old school place with really knowledgeable staff. I doubt it will be there in 5 years time.

It's half and half.

Most of what my generation buy (I'm coming up to 30) is unfixable. Things like iPhones and games consoles are shrunk down small enough that it is hard to get people to have that 'first time fixing' experience, so it's hard to get them hooked. Modern cars are also far more reliable than their 80s counterparts, so there is less motivation to fiddle.

Personally I think the housing market is to blame and a trend towards building houses without drives/garages. Nowhere to build, can't build. I saved for my entire 20's to afford a house with a decent garage- quite a prerequisite to kitcar building!

That said there should be a whole crowd of people older than me (30 to 50) who didn't have these problems and could potentially be building located, but they don't.

steve m - 8/5/19 at 06:41 AM

Back in the 1999-2004 years, and maybe before, the kit car market was good, there were several shows, Exeter Donnington Stoneleigh, Kempton, and my favourite was Newark, were the ones I went to, and really enjoyed them,

Stoneleigh was enormous, and I doubt you could walk the whole place in a day and see everything

I the early years, they were all VERY busy, and you had to fight to get to any stand, parking was rammed together, but as the years moved on, became les and less busy

I last went to Stoneleigh in about 2010, it was about a quarter of the size that it was, and I managed to do the lot, in a morning, and came home

Would I go to a show again, possibly, as all I need for my cars or garage are all on line, and so much easier than driving 3 hours each way to the nearest show, and the beauty of buying on line, is that if it doesn't fit, I send it back and get a refund, !!!
helps that I live in the UK, and know what size the things I want to buy are

steve