Board logo

Out of curiosity - why does it always seem to be VW Golfs?
David Jenkins - 10/6/19 at 05:56 PM

When I'm out in my little toy car zooming around the Suffolk and Essex lanes, I occasionally get pillocks who feel that they have to race me. I don't oblige - I stick to speed limits (mostly) - but I get fed up with either a car right up my tail, or one in front of me who can't corner anywhere near as fast as I can no matter how quick they are in a straight line. I've even seen it when the driver has his young family in the car.

And it always seems to be a Golf Gti...

What is it with Golf cars and their drivers?!

rusty nuts - 10/6/19 at 07:00 PM

It’s funny how the drop back when they realise they can’t corner as well .

loggyboy - 10/6/19 at 08:02 PM

Cuz all the clios are always too far ahead?

rusty nuts - 10/6/19 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Cuz all the clios are always too far ahead?

Ah , the diamond of doom!

Abe - 10/6/19 at 09:12 PM

I had a Boxster until recently. Man alive, the amount of nutters driving up my asterix was unreal. Got so fed up of it. I can see I may be up for more of that when the Tiger is on the road!

Benzine - 10/6/19 at 10:13 PM

It's happened to me too. Going through a local village at 30, then a GTi appears behind me, with a sheet of tin foil between us. I gave it some and left him behind. A mile later and I notice my coolant temps creeping up too high. I had to back off before it hit 100 and he overtook. That's when I decided to sort out the radiator.

coyoteboy - 10/6/19 at 10:54 PM

Biggest issue I get is monospeeders doing 40 everywhere and people getting freaked out by someone who knows how to overtake. Haven't seen anyone get up my rear since I bought the 370Z.

Mr Whippy - 10/6/19 at 11:20 PM

Then again the roads are not a race track for those who can't afford to use one. Once you have your kids in the back you tend to see the issue.

coyoteboy - 10/6/19 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Then again the roads are not a race track for those who can't afford to use one. Once you have your kids in the back you tend to see the issue.

Pretty sure no-one was suggesting they were.

David Jenkins - 11/6/19 at 07:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Pretty sure no-one was suggesting they were.

I was! Though not quite in the same words - I've had boy racers trying to race me while they have family in their car. Last time it happened I changed route to avoid sharing the same road as him.

Simon - 11/6/19 at 04:47 PM

That'll be the irony since VW did their "don't be a stereotype" ad with chavs in modified golfs.

CosKev3 - 12/6/19 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
When I'm out in my little toy car zooming around the Suffolk and Essex lanes, I occasionally get pillocks who feel that they have to race me. I don't oblige - I stick to speed limits (mostly) - but I get fed up with either a car right up my tail, or one in front of me who can't corner anywhere near as fast as I can no matter how quick they are in a straight line. I've even seen it when the driver has his young family in the car.

I cant see they are Gtis, probably Golf R's!

These are everywhere due to the cheap PCP deals that are available.

nick205 - 12/6/19 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

There do seem to be a lot of Golf R's about these days and I'm guessing you're right with the cheap deals to get hold of them as well.

CosKev3 - 12/6/19 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

There do seem to be a lot of Golf R's about these days and I'm guessing you're right with the cheap deals to get hold of them as well.

Yeah 99% are only borrowed off VW!

They are a stupidly fast car as standard for the price per month you can get them for.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 12/6/19 at 10:08 AM

I think it's a regional thing, around Mansfield it's Focus St's, every puss on the road has one with a horrifically loud exhaust driving like a nutter around the local schools and shops.

I now wince whenever I see a Focus St as I am expecting the worst.

Irony - 13/6/19 at 09:43 AM

Having a great noisy V8 lots of people try a race and my favourite is to goad them at traffic lights by blipping the throttle and giving them the eye. Then when they do a tire shredding, clutch burning launch I just tootle off the line and go on my way.

Daf - 13/6/19 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Having a great noisy V8 lots of people try a race and my favourite is to goad them at traffic lights by blipping the throttle and giving them the eye. Then when they do a tire shredding, clutch burning launch I just tootle off the line and go on my way.

Don't try that on me.... I do exactly the same thing!!

Irony - 13/6/19 at 11:42 AM

Between Leicester and Syston there is a road width restriction to stop lorries cutting down the country lanes. Its about 7ft wide so quite tight with massive curbs either side. I love it when a tailgater is up your bott. They can normally be relied upon to not realise the restrictions there.

I get faster and faster coming up to the restriction and shoot through at 60mph. The looks on a tailgaters face in the rear mirror when they realise they only have 6 inches either side. If your really lucky you can be treated to grinding noises and sometimes sparks

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/6/19 by Irony]