Board logo

12 months seizure free
nick205 - 27/10/20 at 11:51 AM

Some on here may remember that I suffered a head injury back in 2014. Quite a bit of time in hospital and off work. One of the results was epilepsy and recurring seizures, which of course rules out driving. UK government/DVLA rules state you have to be seizure free for a period of 12 months before you can reapply for a driving lisence.

Well as of October 24th 2020 I've been seizure free for 12 months!

Now it doesn't mean epilepsy has gone away for me, but it's a milestone passed.

Family and friends are rather pleased I've reached the 12 month period and SWMBO took me out for dinner on the 24th to mark it

As this is a car and driving forum I felt like sharing this news.

daviep - 27/10/20 at 11:59 AM

Nice to hear some good news for a change, congratulations.

Regards
Davie

JAG - 27/10/20 at 12:31 PM

Indeed - Congratulations and I hope it all goes well when getting your Licence back

Mr Whippy - 27/10/20 at 01:12 PM

Certainly good news hopefully that means you have recovered and will take a taxi home next time. I lost a good school friend not long after leaving school to a similar walk but involved 2 cars

Do you just get the licence back or do you have to sit a test?

nick205 - 27/10/20 at 01:16 PM

Thanks for the congratulations - much appreciated!

cliftyhanger - 27/10/20 at 01:19 PM

Excellent news, certainly very pleased to hear it.

nick205 - 27/10/20 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Certainly good news hopefully that means you have recovered and will take a taxi home next time. I lost a good school friend not long after leaving school to a similar walk but involved 2 cars

Do you just get the licence back or do you have to sit a test?

Personally I do think there's an element of recovery.

Next time I will certainly take a taxi.

Really sorry to hear of that loss, not good at all.

My understanding is I reapply by filling in a form and sending it to the DVLA. The DVLA contact my epilepsy consultant to verify and then issue me with a valid for 5 years "medical lisence". All being well in that 5 years I then have to reapply for another valid for 5 years "medical lisence". The bit I haven't explored yet is car insurance.

McLannahan - 27/10/20 at 01:41 PM

Well done, great news!

Do you still have the project 205 tucked away to start driving?

John Bonnett - 27/10/20 at 01:43 PM

Nick, I had no idea but I'm so pleased all is going well for you now. Really great news and a huge relief I'm sure to you and your family. My very best wishes to you for continued good health and quality of life. I really enjoy and appreciate your replies to my posts so please do keep them coming.

Best regards

John

nick205 - 27/10/20 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Well done, great news!

Sadly not - I tidied it up and sold it a while back. Moneys in the bank waiting to help fund an everyday tin top when the time comes. It was sat there for a while and I didn't honestly know when driving might be back on my radar again. Ultimately it was better moved on to a fellow enthusiast to enjoy, work on and use.

mackei23b - 27/10/20 at 01:51 PM

Great news....

nick205 - 27/10/20 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Nick, I had no idea but I'm so pleased all is going well for you now. Really great news and a huge relief I'm sure to you and your family. My very best wishes to you for continued good health and quality of life. I really enjoy and appreciate your replies to my posts so please do keep them coming.

Best regards

John

Thank you John and yes my family are pretty pleased. I must say I always enjoy seeing your work and posts/questions. If I can help I'll always try

McLannahan - 27/10/20 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Well done, great news!

Sadly not - I tidied it up and sold it a while back. Moneys in the bank waiting to help fund an everyday tin top when the time comes. It was sat there for a while and I didn't honestly know when driving might be back on my radar again. Ultimately it was better moved on to a fellow enthusiast to enjoy, work on and use.

Right everyone - Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, EBay, Autotrader..... "Operation Nick's new project car"

What's our budget?

russbost - 27/10/20 at 02:04 PM

Great news - long may it continue!

nick205 - 27/10/20 at 02:07 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Well done, great news!

Right everyone - Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, EBay, Autotrader..... "Operation Nick's new project car"

What's our budget?

Don't panic - I'll find a project

I built and sold an MK Indy and have long had an itch to do another kit (the 205 was a mix of re-living younger years and a project car).

Slater - 27/10/20 at 04:38 PM

Good news, congratulations Nick.

Great to read some positive news in all this C-19 doom and gloom. Good luck with getting 4 wheels and on the road soon.

CRAIGR - 27/10/20 at 06:08 PM

Great news Nick long may it continue

Edwardo - 27/10/20 at 08:16 PM

Fantastic news Nick - long may it continue!

britishtrident - 27/10/20 at 09:58 PM

Great news :-)

JC - 27/10/20 at 10:21 PM

That’s great news. I hope you continue to remain seizure free - take it easy!

christim - 27/10/20 at 11:00 PM

Congrats Nick, awesome news!

coyoteboy - 28/10/20 at 01:26 AM

Yaass, get in.

Mash - 28/10/20 at 10:04 AM

Great news!

MikeR - 28/10/20 at 11:18 AM

I recall posts when you had a seizure and how that set you back so this is fabulous news, very many congratulations.

Take your time, enjoy the milestone & what it brings and ............ we want progress updates on what ever project you take on

nick205 - 28/10/20 at 02:53 PM

Thank you all,kind words much appreciated.

02GF74 - 28/10/20 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Family and friends are rather pleased I've reached the 12 month period and SWMBO took me out for dinner on the 24th to mark it

As this is a car and driving forum I felt like sharing this news.

Yes, this is a car forum so being able to drive would be important to you. So it is very good news that you have passed a big milestone and a step closer to getting behing a steering wheel. Finger crossed that it continues and the medication (I presume there is some involved) keeps it that way.

pewe - 29/10/20 at 10:49 AM

Nick, great news.
Keep taking the tablets and hopefully DVLA will allow you back on the road shortly.
Cheers, Pewe

trextr7monkey - 29/10/20 at 06:20 PM

Hi Nick
I remember the original posts and thought how bad it would be to not drive. Hopefully this is a big step forward in your journey so celebrations are well in order. Good luck!
Atb
Mike

nick205 - 30/10/20 at 09:36 AM

Thanks again people.

Yes there's medication, but it seems to be doing it's job so that's OK with me.

I had the past 2 days off work (school half term and MTB park yesterday).

Driving lisence application paperwork sent off to the DVLA now so the process is started. Car insurance to tackle next. We'll see how it goes!

ianhurley20 - 30/10/20 at 02:09 PM

Brilliant! Fingers crossed!

SteveWalker - 30/10/20 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Thanks again people.

Driving lisence application paperwork sent off to the DVLA now so the process is started. Car insurance to tackle next. We'll see how it goes!

I have been looking into it as my son is due to start learning (luckily his last seizure was more than 18 months ago) and according to what I have seen, insurance companies are not allowed to increase the premium or refuse to insure someone who has epilepsy, as that would be unfair discrimination when the DVLA have assessed someone as being fit to drive. How true that is in fact, I have yet to find out.

[Edited on 30/10/20 by SteveWalker]

nick205 - 31/10/20 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Thanks again people.

I have been looking into it as my son is due to start learning (luckily his last seizure was more than 18 months ago) and according to what I have seen, insurance companies are not allowed to increase the premium or refuse to insure someone who has epilepsy, as that would be unfair discrimination when the DVLA have assessed someone as being fit to drive. How true that is in fact, I have yet to find out.

[Edited on 30/10/20 by SteveWalker]

You make a reasonable point about the DVLA having already done their assessment on fitness to drive. I'll be speaking to insurers next week and I'm interested to see how it goes.

In the past (non epilepsy related) I've always found insurance companies (brokers) range in price quite a bit. With that in mind I expect to be speaking to several to find the right policy/price.

gremlin1234 - 31/10/20 at 02:30 PM

sounds like your heading in the right direction ;-)

quote:
Car insurance to tackle next. We'll see how it goes!

https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/living-epilepsy/driving/car-insurance

partial quote from their page...
quote:
Under the Equality Act 2010, car insurance companies cannot increase the cost of a policy if a disability or medical condition does not affect the risk of making a claim. They can ask questions, or ask for written information about your medical condition to assess your application. They might ask to see a copy of your driving licence or a letter from the driving agency confirming that you are allowed to drive under DVLA regulations.