Board logo

Stoneleigh kit car show 2016
robinsoncrusoe55 - 2/5/16 at 01:57 PM

Went to Stoneleigh on Sunday, had a great day,
even though there seems less and less, as the years go by !!
Had a wander over to the Locost pitch, and was a bit shocked,
to see only, 1 car there....I know the weather forecast was a bit iffy,
but thought there would be more!!

ian locostzx9rc2 - 2/5/16 at 02:00 PM

We had 8 cars on the rawcus pitch overall a lot less people there this year and the halls had a lot of big gaps not a good sign !!!!

Ben_Copeland - 2/5/16 at 02:22 PM

I went on Sunday. A lot more cars spread out on their owners clubs, and location groups. We had plenty cars on the SKCC pitch.

The weather puts a lot of people off, I drove up from Kent ~180 miles each way but many wouldn't of with the chance of poor weather.

robinsoncrusoe55 - 2/5/16 at 02:49 PM

Fully understandable really, in an "open" car.

The weather forecast was far worse, than the actual weather on the day !!

907 - 2/5/16 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55
Went to Stoneleigh on Sunday, had a great day,
even though there seems less and less, as the years go by !!
Had a wander over to the Locost pitch, and was a bit shocked,
to see only, 1 car there....I know the weather forecast was a bit iffy,
but thought there would be more!!

I went last year and could have come back and wrote the above post, except that the only occupant of the Locost stand
was a tiptop next to a small igloo tent. Didn't go this year for that very reason.
My Locost, still awaiting numberplates, was on my trailer and was spotted by Ferg, who was on the GTM owners stand
so I was offered a space on their stand.

I'm sure that if organised as a club Locostbuilders could put on quite a showing but unfortunately we split into 2 or 3 here
and half a dozen there.

I feel the lack of camaraderie will be the death of the one show that remains on the Kitcar calendar.

Paul G

rusty nuts - 2/5/16 at 03:43 PM

I feel the lack of camaraderie will be the death of the one show that remains on the Kitcar calendar.

Your not the only one to say that this weekend

locost7-online.com - 2/5/16 at 04:39 PM

I went last year, not as good as a few years back when I used to go, didn't pick up any bargains so didn't bother this year, my car is not finished but I go to look at other peoples cars for inspiration and ideas , as there was not much last year u gave this year a miss 😞

Adamirish - 2/5/16 at 04:56 PM

Just back home now from the show. It seemed a lot smaller this year than last. Just a camper van on the MK pitch, that was it.

Nothing there to tempt me to buy and MK sports cars stand was non existent.

The riot arena up is always a good watch but that was just about the only saving grace for me I'm afraid.

furryeggs - 2/5/16 at 05:00 PM

I was there today and it wasn't as busy as i was expecting, with not as many stands as last year and an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.
Still managed to spend £230 on some bits though.

Sam_68 - 2/5/16 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
...an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.

The Stratos' (Stratii? Strata?) are starting to give them a run for their money, though?

I was there yesterday. It seems to be flatlining compared to recent years, which is disappointing as you might hope that things would be picking up a bit now that the recession is well and truly over.

Adamirish - 2/5/16 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
...an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.

The Stratos' (Stratii? Strata?) are starting to give them a run for their money, though?

This is true. They are beautiful to be fair. Might be the only kit out there to make me part with my MK. Not that I can afford it mind!

Shooter63 - 2/5/16 at 05:37 PM

Just got back myself, I'm the same, I thought there was more vendors last year etc, I went to buy a pair of seats and perhaps a new alloy rad, only one company had seats and the deal was slim to say the least, the rad was a £5 off, so didn't bother. Had a real good chat with a guy on the hawk stand about there Daytona replica ( and it is down to the nth degree) the price will be (big drum roll) 375k

Shooter

Slimy38 - 2/5/16 at 06:02 PM

Interestingly this is the totalkitcar magazine current headline;

quote:

A WARM welcome to totalkitcar online…Well, it’s that time of the year again – NATIONAL KITCAR MOTOR SHOW or just ‘STONELEIGH’ to you and me! There’s a definite buzz about this year’s event, mainly due to a paucity of shows, which means that the industry hasn’t really all been in one place since last year’s show. The show organizer tells me that the level of bookings for manufacturers and general trade is far higher than recent years…42 ‘proper’ manufacturers is the best for many years

rdodger - 2/5/16 at 06:24 PM

I thought it was pretty good considering the weather forecast.

I met up with some old friends, had a few beers and too many burgers.

There were some new cars and a few old ones reborn.

There were plenty of people in the halls and the manufacturers I know seemed to be getting some positive comments and plenty of interest.

See you all there again next year :-)

coozer - 2/5/16 at 07:00 PM

I really wanted to go but the snow, minus temps and white weather up to Saturday put me off...

Spent the day on the roof putting my new satellite dish up.... Now got 4500 channels to brouse!

DRC INDY 7 - 2/5/16 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Just back home now from the show. It seemed a lot smaller this year than last. Just a camper van on the MK pitch, that was it.

Nothing there to tempt me to buy and MK sports cars stand was non existent.

The riot arena up is always a good watch but that was just about the only saving grace for me I'm afraid.

I went on Sunday and found the show to be ever shrinking in size.

I was on the mk owners stand and we had 4 cars, far less than in the good old days.

I feel it will not be long before this one goes to the wall.

Adamirish - 2/5/16 at 07:30 PM

Just out of interest, does anyone on here own the Indy with the massive turbo Vauxhall lump? It was on the tiger stand iirc. She must be a real handful!!

perksy - 2/5/16 at 08:21 PM

Just a thought but perhaps some of the supply companies/traders are now moving into the classic car market as this doesn't seem to be suffering and is continuing to flourish ?

Haven't been to stoneleigh for the last couple of years now as it was a case of 'same old, same old'

bi22le - 2/5/16 at 08:26 PM

Well Im gutted I didnt go.

I was at a wedding so had no option. Its a great place to see different cars and get ideas.

I wonder if a shake up of title focus or topic for the show would make a difference. Every single track day I go on has at least 3 se7en style cars booked on. Often other types of non production cars as well. So there are hundreds of owners that could should be interested in this show, so why the low numbers?

If you could get the Caterham and Westfield owners to come off of their high horse you could probably get a good show.

Add to it potentially track time, rolling road and other themes like a swaps bits for sale section it could easily see increased visitor numbers.

I have been going to Ford Fair for the last 10 years. That show is VAST. IT takes the day to just walk around and soak up the cars, we often get very little time to even see track action. Is it because kit car owners are older, less outward going, to diverse in their taste of car?

Sam_68 - 2/5/16 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Just a thought but perhaps some of the supply companies/traders are now moving into the classic car market as this doesn't seem to be suffering and is continuing to flourish ?

I did find it noticeable that one company I have dealings with (for my sins!), HiSpec, had a MUCH smaller stand at Stoneleigh than they had at the Autosports show in January, which clearly demonstrates which one they see as being most worthwhile.

There was fair representation of kit manufacturers at Autosports, too.

And I'm hearing lots of suppliers who say that Race Retro offers better value for them than either Autosports or Stoneleigh KC Show.

You can't blame any business for spending their money where it gets them the best return, I guess?

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
If you could get the Caterham and Westfield owners to come off of their high horse you could probably get a good show.

Fair play to the Westfield owners: the Westfield pitch was the biggest and best populated at the show, at least when I visited on Saturday, and Westfield had both a stand in the hall and the 'drift' area outside.

I'm hearing rumours about Westfeld that don't bode well for the future, though.

ste - 2/5/16 at 09:12 PM

I went with a pocket full of cash and a list of things i need to finish my build off and only got half the things. I noticed a huge lack of trade stands compared to last year and the year before. It was really sad to see.

On a plus note, the people I did buy things from were really knowledgeable about their products and offered excellent advice. I got excellent service and advice from Protec Shocks. They are customising my dampers to how I want them for no extra. In fact, got a 10% discount.

Got my exhaust from Custom Chrome at a great price and some good tips on fitting.

My best bargain was tins of satin black spray paint from Classic Car Paints Direct. Always nice to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about and can recommend the right products for the job.

As for the show itself, it is a victim of it's own success. I really think kit car owners need to start paying entry. The tin top car park had so few cars and they're the only ones really putting money in the turnstiles. I know the traders are paying, but they are dwindling.

Anyway, I could rant on about how to fix it for ages.

Anyone see the ultima with 4 airbags?

snapper - 2/5/16 at 09:37 PM

I've got to say once again the Robin Hood owners club did Stonliegh proud, a great turnout
Yes the weather turned bad today, my journey home was best biblical at one point.
Whilst the show was indeed smaller I did feel it was however ( in these difficult times) more focused and quality was (in most cases) exceptional.
In retrospect we are missing the basic affordable stuff but it's not a lost cause yet.
I do agree that we should use it or loose it

The Black Flash - 2/5/16 at 09:58 PM

Seemed much the same as last year in terms of trade stands etc...definately fewer than a few years ago though.
The turn out of cars didn't seem bad considering the forecast. But who failed to book the cash machines? There's been atms there for at least the last 6 years, but not this year...big mistake since most places only take cash.
Got totally soaked on the way down and back up today, it was ok at the show itself though.

Sam_68 - 2/5/16 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ste

And very nice they were too.

907 - 3/5/16 at 05:20 AM

Quote ste

I know the traders are paying, but they are dwindling.

End quote

Do we think that traders are priced out of attending ? By traders I don't mean the "fish finger & ten chips" and
charging £7.50 for it, I mean the automotive stands, being parts or the kit manufactures themselves.

I attended last year solely to buy a pair of bullet mirrors (as it was post IVA) and I wanted to see the quality
and make sure they would fit. You can't do that online.

"Don't screw the goose that lays the golden egg", I say.

Paul G

[Edited on 3/5/16 by 907]

theduck - 3/5/16 at 05:49 AM

It was the lack of traders in the sheds that really surprised me. The guys where you can normally find any little switch or fitting that you need, they just didn't seem to be there. In fact the sheds was nearly all ab tools.

Bluemoon - 3/5/16 at 06:30 AM

Went on Monday,

Considering the weather not so bad.

Arrived early Missed all the rain, Had a great time chatting to people and just left latter so missed the rain on the way back..

Daytona replica Made it worth while, yes not a chance in owning one but that was great to see, a very faithful replica.. The number of hours put in makes the price seam reasonable (!).

We managed to miss the worst of the weather, no rain on way or way back

Support it or lose it...

Dan

[Edited on 3/5/16 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 3/5/16 by Bluemoon]

SteveWallace - 3/5/16 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by ste

And very nice they were too.

At least half of them definitely not OEM though.

richardm6994 - 3/5/16 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I've got to say once again the Robin Hood owners club did Stonliegh proud, a great turnout
Yes the weather turned bad today, my journey home was best biblical at one point.
Whilst the show was indeed smaller I did feel it was however ( in these difficult times) more focused and quality was (in most cases) exceptional.
In retrospect we are missing the basic affordable stuff but it's not a lost cause yet.
I do agree that we should use it or loose it

Paul, I'm gutted I missed you! Years seeing you on the forums but never had the pleasure of meeting face to face.

The RHOCaR stand certainly did the show proud. Over 100 cars of numerous makes and model, not just Hoods. We did burgers for our members at lunch and had our own hog roast on Sunday evening.

We're moaning now that the show is getting smaller, yet we'll be moaning even more when / if it disappears into history. Use it or loose it.

BTW, RHOCaR put on an end of season bash in September at Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire. It's open to all clubs (we get some good representation from the Jago club) and it will be our 4th year. The event is growing at a nice pace and its a good weekend break shared with like-minded petrol heads.

Go to the rhocar page for details and entry form for anyone who is interested.

FuryRebuild - 3/5/16 at 12:07 PM

My first time at Stoneleigh - I'd been to the Harrogate one a couple of times.

I liked the representation of some of the suppliers, and some of the stands were well laid out. On Sunday, Rally Design had a monster stand and lots of stock. It's a pity Hi-Spec didn't go for a larger stand, but I guess they fees they were being asked made it not quite so worthwhile.

The price for the catering is a difficult one - the pitches themselves can be very expensive (up to £2k for some events) and this invariably has to go on the price. I came down in a tin-top and got a good price for the bits I wanted, but at £15 to get in, it swallowed up a lot of my discount. If I'd come down in the fury I'd have felt better.

I'll go back.

adithorp - 3/5/16 at 12:49 PM

Went down as usual Sat eve and stopped the whole weekend. For me it's a social thng more than gustthe halls/stalls. Had a great time with 12 JPSC members out for curry Sat night, Loads os club members there for the day on Sun and BBQ in the eve (about 12 again) Then packed up early Mon to save getting the tents/shelters wet, wasted some time in the halls until the rain stopped and headed home. Sorry to anyone who came around tothe JPSC pitch on Monday as it looked a bit deserted.
Sun seemed busier than the last couple of years (halls busy as early as 10:30) and more owners than I expected outside given the forcasts. Some notable absentees like Woolies Trim and Raw.

Cars of the show for me were...
Hawk Daytona Cobra to original spec',
the red Porker rep with Audi quatro running gear and twin zzr1200 engines
Nicks (raptor700) freshly IVA'd MK busa

SPYDER - 3/5/16 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ste
I really think kit car owners need to start paying entry.

This will have to happen if Stoneleigh is to survive IMHO
Unfortunately, opinion is divided on the matter.
It's as divisive as the "IN/OUT" debate.
I'd rather pay for entry than have nowhere to enter in the first place.
Use the money to reduce pitch prices for the smaller traders.

Could someone set up a "poll" type thread along the lines of
" Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'll be voting "YES" to that one.

rm0rgan - 3/5/16 at 02:49 PM

I found the stands to be lacking any real discounts or special offers...apart from one - a pair of winter driving gloves reduced from £39.99 to £15, however the stall owner didn't have change from a £20 note and wouldn't let me spend less than £20 on a card machine so left them to it!

Mad.

adithorp - 3/5/16 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
Originally posted by ste

..." Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'd say yes... but then make camping free (currently £5) to encourage more to stay over for both days.

robinsoncrusoe55 - 3/5/16 at 06:00 PM

Whilst wondering around,I was really impressed with the quality of finish,
of most of the cars on show, the only down side was the cost!

Not saying that they were not worth it or anything, but to most people,
a kit car is a second, or even a third car, and for me, most of those cars,
were just so out of reach, money wise!

Wandering round the shows 10 years ago ish ., there seemed to be,
just so much more variety, of types/styles etc, and just a lot more donor cars in mind.

The focus now, mainly seems to be in using new parts, this obviously raises the quality,
and also the price.

I saw a pair of seats on the Westfield stand going for, £300......
£50 more than the original supposed build cost of the Locost !!

How things change eh !

rdodger - 3/5/16 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
Originally posted by ste

..." Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'd say yes... but then make camping free (currently £5) to encourage more to stay over for both days.

I agree. Make it £10 for anyone and everyone and make the fees a bit cheaper for the traders if necessary.

sdh2903 - 3/5/16 at 06:10 PM

quote:

How things change eh !

Haha you should see the price on the westfield parts site, you'd build 3 of uncle Ron's locosts for the price

Adamirish - 3/5/16 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55

How things change eh !

I too saw those. They were nice but with added Westfield tax. There were some grp seats there too at £175 each. I'm near sure there were some there last year at £100 each.

Nearly as expensive as a pair of cycle wings on another stand...... £400! Yes, that's right, £400!!!!! That was with £40 off too!

I fear people like myself who save money by getting my hands dirty are getting priced out of the scene. Look at the one Westfield kit, £25000. I'm sure it's a wonderful car but no doubt by the time it's built, iva'd etc it would end up north of £30k. That is a hell of a lot of money for a toy. It doesn't seem to stop people buying them though.

I did like the quality of the ultimate stand. They do look good in black. Show off the lines extremely well. The cars were ok too!

Riot Squad - 3/5/16 at 07:17 PM

Speaking as an exhibitor, it's interesting reading the comments regarding the Stoneleigh show.
The prices for a stand here are actually very reasonable compared with the likes of the Autosport Show, which is at least 5 times the price.
In the many years I have attended as a kit car owner and as an exhibitor i have seen a decline in the numbers of visitors, exhibitors and traders.

However this year was certainly different to the previous 4 or 5. Not in the numbers but in the people that were there and in the general buzz. On the Sunday it was busy as usual but the visitors to our stand were certainly a lot more serious and enthusiastic in terms of making a purchase.
Monday was pretty quiet by comparison (and with previous years) but again the visitors that came to our stand resulted in another really good day for us.
Personally speaking there seemed to be less dads and lads just visiting to look at the cars.

Talking with other exhibitors many felt the same way.

The kit car industry does seem to be changing, but if you were to ask me in what way, I would have to admit to being unable to say with any certainty. There are plenty of opinions and perspectives on this of course, but I would say after this weekend it does feel like positive change.

Part of this change is also how we exhibit, whilst static displays of some really quite stunning machinery is great, its so much better to hear and see these cars doing what they were designed to do.

kingster996 - 3/5/16 at 11:29 PM

I thought this year was brilliant, but from a "hands up I'm biased" Westfield point of view.

Our club area had 160 cars on show on Sunday, which was an impressive turnout considering the weather. We had barbecues, lamb roast and free beer for members over the two days.

I admit that the smaller traders seemed to be a bit less than last time, but from my perspective it was a cracking weekend.

Even managed to dodge the worst of the weather on my 400+ mile round trip from Newcastle with a few other locals in Westies.

All in all spot on.

907 - 4/5/16 at 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Riot Squad
Speaking as an exhibitor, it's interesting reading the comments regarding the Stoneleigh show.
The prices for a stand here are actually very reasonable compared with the likes of the Autosport Show, which is at least 5 times the price.
In the many years I have attended as a kit car owner and as an exhibitor i have seen a decline in the numbers of visitors, exhibitors and traders.

However this year was certainly different to the previous 4 or 5. Not in the numbers but in the people that were there and in the general buzz. On the Sunday it was busy as usual but the visitors to our stand were certainly a lot more serious and enthusiastic in terms of making a purchase.
Monday was pretty quiet by comparison (and with previous years) but again the visitors that came to our stand resulted in another really good day for us.
Personally speaking there seemed to be less dads and lads just visiting to look at the cars.

Talking with other exhibitors many felt the same way.

The kit car industry does seem to be changing, but if you were to ask me in what way, I would have to admit to being unable to say with any certainty. There are plenty of opinions and perspectives on this of course, but I would say after this weekend it does feel like positive change.

Part of this change is also how we exhibit, whilst static displays of some really quite stunning machinery is great, its so much better to hear and see these cars doing what they were designed to do.

Well done for posting and showing us the other side of the coin.

Shame it came with an "LB report banner" along the bottom.
Customers need suppliers and suppliers need customers. It's the way the world works.

Paul G

ken555 - 4/5/16 at 01:32 PM

Well there is always this.

kingster996 - 4/5/16 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Well there is always this.

Which is on at the same time as this - which is a bit of bad timing