Board logo

Whats the best Dremel tool to buy
dunk3 - 31/8/17 at 01:55 PM

Hi all , looking to buy a dremel rotary tool or similar , what are you all using

cheers Dunk

Charlie_Zetec - 31/8/17 at 02:22 PM

Tried one of the Draper ones, and it was a massive pile of cr@p; nothing but problems, so took it back and got a refund (eventually). Go with the original; Dremel.

liam.mccaffrey - 31/8/17 at 02:23 PM

I am about to purchase a rotary tool like this. Foredom. They are apparently very very good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCp-u0l7b34

Not too expensive at 90 quid on amazon and actually genuinely useful as a tool. The dremels are ok but a bit of a toy.

[Edited on 31/8/17 by liam.mccaffrey]

furryeggs - 31/8/17 at 03:32 PM

I have a ryobi one, but use dremmel bits and discs. they last longer than the cheap crap.

Fatgadget - 31/8/17 at 03:53 PM

Gosh! Dremels now the status of Hoovers eh?...Hopefully they don't suck as much....I will get my coat ==>

loggyboy - 31/8/17 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
Gosh! Dremels now the status of Hoovers eh?...Hopefully they don't suck as much....I will get my coat ==>

Think they've been referred to that way for years.
I have cheap maplin 'hobby' drill that's still going after about 15 years. Not much torque but adequate for most tasks.

luke2152 - 31/8/17 at 07:24 PM

The branded dremels are just as crap as the cheap ones. I'm sure they are only designed to last a few hours.

mackei23b - 31/8/17 at 08:30 PM

I had two 4000 dremels fails within hours a couple of years ago, lots of smoke, and not through abuse....the 4000 replaced a 300 that I had for years.....

I replaced it with a draper one that was better....

Hopefully dremel rectified the earlier faults...there were quite a few reports of the same issue that I had on the internet...

Cheers

Ian

rf900rush - 31/8/17 at 08:41 PM

I have a Dremel and a Maplin tool.
I only bought the Maplin one, when it was on offer, just for the bits it came with.
Apart from the collet end, it seems better/smother than my Dremel.

02GF74 - 31/8/17 at 09:33 PM

My black and decker dremel, not close to it so cannot tell you the model has been used and abused (ported 2 rover v8 heads, got so hot I could not hold it!) for 10 or more years and still going strong. In that time only had to replace the spring for the chuck.

bart - 31/8/17 at 10:37 PM

if you want one for life
buy a Makita or bosch die grinder
expensive , but faster and built to last
engineers use them to bed press tools in.

actually not that bad just looked and you can get them for under £100

don't know if any one else has ever used one but totally awesome bit like comparing a conker with a coconut

[Edited on 31/8/17 by bart]

mark chandler - 31/8/17 at 11:05 PM

I got one of these for £80 off eBay

https://www.howetools.co.uk/bosch-ggs-28lc-240v-straight-grinder?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2arzrsqC1gIVg7DtCh3KTgW1EAQYBSABEgJC HvD_BwE

Brilliant bit of kit, use quality burrs and port things with ease.

peter030371 - 1/9/17 at 07:32 AM

Iuse a Dremel at work but got one of these for home https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RO7UFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 />
so far I can't see me going back to Dremel next time as you just pay for the name now

dunk3 - 1/9/17 at 06:27 PM

Thanks for the replies lads , will do a bit more looking on the internet at he ones suggested
Cheers