Board logo

End of an era!
David Jenkins - 3/11/21 at 09:51 AM

My car (a.k.a. "The Frog" ) is now on its way to Poole - I have hardly used it over the past year or so, and I always hate seeing things lying idle, so I was ready to sell. I was able to get what I think is a fair price for both parties, which always a good thing.

Not really a sad time - just the right time to move on to other things (no, not another car!).

[Edited on 3/11/21 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 3/11/21 at 10:22 AM

End of and era indeed!

You've been on here for yonks David and shared much useful info.

I was of simila mind when I sold my MK Indy - I'd had my pleasure building and 3 years driving. An expanding family and other money demands meant it was time for me to move on too. My son was far more heartbroken than me when the buyer drove off in it!

Hope you remain on LCB and keep us up to date with whatever projects you take on.

nick205 - 3/11/21 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
End of and era indeed!

You've been on here for yonks David and shared much useful info.

I was of similar mind when I sold my MK Indy - I'd had my pleasure building and 3 years driving. An expanding family and other money demands meant it was time for me to move on too. My son was far more heartbroken than me when the buyer drove off in it!

Hope you remain on LCB and keep us up to date with whatever projects you take on.

theconrodkid - 3/11/21 at 11:54 AM

get an MX5...you know you want to

David Jenkins - 3/11/21 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

It did cross my mind... briefly!

coyoteboy - 3/11/21 at 02:28 PM

I wish I had that kind of healthy attachment to things. My stuff will usually rot before I consider letting it go. You just never know when it's useful...

nick205 - 3/11/21 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I wish I had that kind of healthy attachment to things. My stuff will usually rot before I consider letting it go. You just never know when it's useful...

coyoteboy

Trust me I have a shed / cupboard under the stairs / loft / under the bed / top of the wardrobe with things that may come in handy one day (can't bring myself to dispose of). Even to the point SWMBO thinks some of the items went to the dump a good while a go.

Cables I'm terrible with - when phones standardised on USB (I'm a non Apple'ite) for charging it was a godsend. Did away with countless pointless old phones chargers!

David Jenkins - 3/11/21 at 04:16 PM

Don't worry - I've got the "Great Garage Clear out" to come over the next week or so!

nick205 - 3/11/21 at 05:54 PM

David,

Keep us posted on what you're disposing of from your garage. There may be things of interest to the rest of the LCB community.

David Jenkins - 3/11/21 at 06:04 PM

Don't worry, I will.

SJ - 3/11/21 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I've just been using some Jizer de-greaser on my MGB that I squirreled away in 1983

Slater - 4/11/21 at 08:38 AM

David, I'll keep an eye out for your old car. I live very close to Poole, so I'll give it a wave if I see it.

MikeR - 4/11/21 at 12:40 PM

This is a sad day for me. The rate I'm not building, everyone will have sold their cars and petrol will be banned before I'm finished.

I guess I can try to look forward to the garage clear out

nick205 - 4/11/21 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
This is a sad day for me. The rate I'm not building, everyone will have sold their cars and petrol will be banned before I'm finished.

I guess I can try to look forward to the garage clear out

MikeR

Surely this is motivation to get your build finished, IVA'd and on the road?

Personally I got as much (if not more) from the build process as the finished roadworthy car.

David Jenkins - 4/11/21 at 03:41 PM

That was what inspired me to finish my car - I had been building the chassis for quite a few years and I finally decided that my choice was to get it finished, or scrap it. In the end, I went into the garage as often as I could and just did *something*, no matter how small. By doing this the build moved forward. Six years to finish the chassis (!) and about 2 or 3 years to get the car finished and SVA'd.

But building stuff has always been more of a buzz than actually using it - building the car was a great alternative to sitting at a desk all week, but the thrill of driving has faded in the past few years - too many stupid drivers on the road, too many driving restrictions. Suffolk is the home of stupidly low speed restrictions, too many traffic lights, just... too much!

I'm waiting for Suffolk to re-introduce the man with a red flag who walks in front of cars...

[Edited on 4/11/21 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 5/11/21 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
That was what inspired me to finish my car - I had been building the chassis for quite a few years and I finally decided that my choice was to get it finished, or scrap it. In the end, I went into the garage as often as I could and just did *something*, no matter how small. By doing this the build moved forward. Six years to finish the chassis (!) and about 2 or 3 years to get the car finished and SVA'd.

But building stuff has always been more of a buzz than actually using it - building the car was a great alternative to sitting at a desk all week, but the thrill of driving has faded in the past few years - too many stupid drivers on the road, too many driving restrictions. Suffolk is the home of stupidly low speed restrictions, too many traffic lights, just... too much!

I'm waiting for Suffolk to re-introduce the man with a red flag who walks in front of cars...

[Edited on 4/11/21 by David Jenkins]

Very similar here too.

After a day deskbound I got home, ate and spent a few hours in the garage. Some evenings I got plenty done other evenings very little.

Sometimes very late to bed, but always slept well and ready for work the next day.

On reflection 60% of my pleasure was building the car and 40% driving the end result.

I'd like to build again, but more for the build than the end result really.

James - 8/11/21 at 11:45 AM

Having known you from the Dark Side (TOS) and then followed you in joining here a couple of months later I'm sorry to hear this David.

Please stay in touch with the site and let us know about your new projects!

All the best,
James

David Jenkins - 8/11/21 at 11:56 AM

My first project is to get rid of all the bits & pieces of general car stuff I've accumulated over the years - all the stuff that has been sitting in boxes on the shelves, never moving from one year to the next... that will take a while!

Then it will clearing out all the mostly empty paint tins, then the aerosol cans that don't work any more, and so on and so on...

I have a busy schedule ahead of me!

Once it's clear I can start thinking about a real project.

pewe - 9/11/21 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

Get a supercharged MX5..... you know you want to...
Seriously it takes a lot to beat one both in terms of performance and bangs for your bucks - ask theconrodkid - he knows how rapid they are (especially when getting your eye in round Combe )

MikeR - 10/11/21 at 12:32 PM

I think your car is for sale again

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Skitcar/permalink/3057693844476797/?sale_post_id=3057693844476797

David Jenkins - 10/11/21 at 12:59 PM

Actually, I'm not too bothered if he sells it on - and his reason is decent enough (too nice to butcher).

I got what I wanted out of the deal, it's his responsibility now, and I have no emotional baggage for it.

James - 10/11/21 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Actually, I'm not too bothered if he sells it on - and his reason is decent enough (too nice to butcher).

I got what I wanted out of the deal, it's his responsibility now, and I have no emotional baggage for it.

You're better at adulting than me- the thought of someone breaking mine makes me want to cry!!!

David Jenkins - 10/11/21 at 09:20 PM

It's worth me pointing out that, although it was in good working condition at the time of selling, it would have required some time and money spent on it in the next year or three. I no longer had the enthusiasm to commit to that effort, so I was happy to move it on.