Board logo

sealing a concrete floor
locoboy - 8/11/08 at 09:35 PM

My garage floor is really dusty, its bare concrete and you could sweep it continuously and never get all the dust up.

The action of sweeping it just creates more dust and over time would expose the aggregate in the concrete mixture.

Can i seal it with anything - pva mixture perhaps? if so what ratios?

Ideally i want to paint it.
Cheers

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 8/11/08 at 09:39 PM

i used THIS

adithorp - 8/11/08 at 09:42 PM

Floor paint maybe?

Do one coat with it watered down with thinners. That way it soaks in. Then a second coat without the thinners.

adrian

owelly - 8/11/08 at 09:49 PM

I had a similar experience but I tried Flor-tred paint but I used about a litre to do 2ftsquare because it kept soaking in!! Against the advise of a few learned folk, I mixed some Febond (PVA) 50/50 with water, paijnted the floor, left it for a week and then topped it with the Flor-tred. It worked fine. To be fair, the PVA mix would have sealed it for a finish but I had a small red square I had to make match!

dhutch - 8/11/08 at 11:14 PM

Arse, just lot my post through not being signed in.

Basicaly, best bet is to hit the PVA, the follow with paint if required.

You can get a gallon of the stuff for buttons from the builders merchant, 50/50 mix with water, brush on with an old sweeping brush. Soaks in, and seals the floor. Then you do it again and in soaks in a little less and forms a fairly good surface.

You can then paint it, if you want it like that. Which makes it a bit more wipe-down-able. Although more slippy if you dont!

You can just paint it, but it might peel and lift a bit without the pva.

Daniel

rgr33n - 9/11/08 at 08:15 AM

i did the same as owelly and dhutch. works well enough for me. just used an "international" floor paint from B&Q and some PVA i had in shed. still fine 3 years on

02GF74 - 9/11/08 at 09:20 AM

.... and then afterwards you wantto put down carpet tiles, preferrably in brown.

Oh, hang on, I've got some goiong spare - see my post. Anybody want them?

Krismc - 9/11/08 at 10:14 AM

PVA Mixed down 4:1 mate, let it dry, sweep it and second coat it, then if you still a little concerned costco have a resin based floor coating for £40 it drys leaving you a water tight, 3 mm bed of vinal- just like the hospital floors- but very hard wearing.

geoff shep - 10/11/08 at 08:18 PM

I found the 'proper' stuff worked really well - concrete sealer followed by garage floor paint.

http://www.choiceful.com/disprod.php?pId=7956

locoboy - 10/11/08 at 09:45 PM

Thanks for the varied replys guys.

I will give the PVA a go first as i have 40mSq to do, the 'proper' stuff looks to work out fairly expensive.

Guinness - 10/11/08 at 10:37 PM

That reminds me, mustn't overlook the floor paint on the job I'm tendering for at the moment! 600 sq m of concrete to seal and paint. Better get a bigger roller!

Mike

Peteff - 10/11/08 at 11:18 PM

I just mix the pva into the water till it looks milky, I don't usually measure it but I don't think it's as strong as 50/50 It does hold the dust down and make a good paintable surface though.

jps - 27/3/16 at 06:42 PM

Ancient thread resurrection I know, but it came up as one of the first pages when i Googled, so thought I may as well add here...

Have taken the 50/50 water/PVA advice from here. My garage floor was concreted about 13 months ago, ran over it with a brush and a Henry hoover to get it as dust free as possible, then went over it with the PVA mix. I mixed up ten litres (garage is about 16 Sq mtr) which did for two substantial coats, looked like spilt milk when it wen down but dries up with a glossy even finish. Top coat of Screwfix floor paint will be next. ..

Phil_1471 - 27/3/16 at 07:21 PM

^^^ exactly what i will be doing this summer :-)

jps - 1/4/16 at 09:10 AM

Spent a couple of hours with a brush painting the garage floor with Screwfix No Nonsense Floor Paint last night. Left the doors shut to keep the moths out, regretting the lack of ventilation a bit today - feeling rather sick!!!