Board logo

New Zealand self builder..
Jumpy Guy - 3/12/08 at 09:16 AM

Just spotted this on Pistonheads, and thought it's very interesting- home built engine, chassis, everything

http://www.hypercars.co.nz/

Apologies if this is a repost.........

clairetoo - 3/12/08 at 09:48 AM

Now I know what I want for Christmas
That is beautifully made - but I cant begin to imagine what it cost's

mistergrumpy - 3/12/08 at 09:50 AM

The body looks a bit off. Sitting slightly too high and not wide enough and there are no lights. I do like it a lot though. I like that windscreen too. Not sure what it's made of but I like it. The engine looks like two kawasaki engines in a V8? Surely not designed in New Zealand first though, I've seen a few pictures of them around.
Good effort though.

maartenromijn - 3/12/08 at 10:06 AM

Looking good. Some people seem to have unlimited time and budget...

afj - 3/12/08 at 10:14 AM

get rid of the screen and ill take one

Duncan_P - 3/12/08 at 11:03 AM

I like it, but I imagine that it will be $$$$$

Hopefully someone over here will do something similar without all the billet parts and fancy engine.

02GF74 - 3/12/08 at 11:42 AM

wow look at the attention to deail when they photographed it - they tried to get the front treads identical (3 photo) - could be photshopped though although going by reflection on the bonnet may be not.

yea, get rid off the screen or redesign it,

mr henderson - 3/12/08 at 12:15 PM

Personally I think that what matters about any car, no matter how desirable from any point of view, is how much does it cast?

It's well known that if cost is no object then virtually anything can be produced. The clever thing is to make it so it can be sold at an attractive price for whatever it is. That was one of the things about the E type jaguar when it first came out. It was a third of the price of an Aston Martin.

So how much is the car featured going to cost? When we know that we will be able to tell whether the people producing it have done something special or not.

John

[Edited on 3/12/08 by mr henderson]

Rob Bartley - 3/12/08 at 12:56 PM

Good point John. Given enough time & money most designs can look great, which it does. BUT the cost is what will make the difference.

Bet it costs a blummin' fortune..........

Oh well, back to the locost!

nitram38 - 3/12/08 at 01:19 PM

I don't car about the car........just send me the engine!

Alan B - 3/12/08 at 02:49 PM

First of all I admire and respect the effort and craftsmanship to acheive such a high standard. However, I'm puzzled by the bolt-on Ali brackets for the suspension mounts and personally I don't care too much much for the machined from solid Ali wishbones...saying that if I had a nice CNC maching centre at my disposal who's to say I wouldn't make the most of it too.

All in all I'd say a fine effort.

sgraber - 3/12/08 at 06:03 PM

A thoroughly impressive and inspiring story.

Imagine that Alan; a guy designs and builds his own car including bodywork, but then ups the ante by designing and fabricating his own v8 engine!