Board logo

I hired a Dodge Viper for Xmas - fast as fluff but what a pig to drive
eznfrank - 31/12/08 at 01:17 PM

I spent Xmas in Vegas this year and had wanted for ages to hire a Viper as I'd seen them queued up 5 deep on the strip before. Anyways they had a 1 hour special deal at this place for $150 (about £100). That was for the RT-10 GTS model. They also had a Cobra for $99/hour but it was out at the time although I'm pretty sure it was a replica. There was an newer SRT-10 for about $200/hour and a few Italians for $300+ but I was set on the Viper.

It was as much of a pig to get in and out of as the 7evens can be although the roof made it a bit trickier, plus the side pods hold the exhaust and get pretty hot apparently. It wasn't the best day for the missus to pick a short skirt.....well, not for her anyway

The outside of the car was mint but inside you could really tell it was a hire car, a bit scruffy but not too bad.

I was quite nervous driving it, to the extent that I set off on the wrong side of the road in the carpark but fortunately realised before I got out onto the road!

The clutch was the heaviest I've ever experienced, I thought I was gonna need both feet to push it down!!! It was exceptionally quick, obviously very torque-y and pulled like a train in any gear at almost any revs. I would have liked to have had it for a bit longer so I could have got out of the city and really opened it up but it was just a bit too much, that being said there is a nice bit of road at the back of Harrahs that not many people seem to use where I managed to give it a bit of a testing. I planted my foot in first and nearly lost it as the back snaked really bad. It was rather amusing until I remembered I'd paid a $600 deposit. We then took it for a ride up and down the strip but it was a bit too busy really.

The main bonus to it all was we went straight from there to the Riviera where I won $150 off a 45c bet which basically paid for it!!

Would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Vegas, especially if you've won a bit of wedge and want to treat yourself.

[Edited on 31/12/08 by eznfrank]

Pictures
|
V

Dangle_kt - 31/12/08 at 01:26 PM

this thread is useless without pics...

of your mrs getting in and out of the car

eznfrank - 31/12/08 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
this thread is useless without pics...

of your mrs getting in and out of the car

Didn't notice that bottom bit till I posted...

Good point - they're on my Facebook thing but I've never been any good at putting them on here. I've also got a video of me losing the back end but it's in AVI format and Youtube doesn't like it. I'll try stick them on now.

P.S. As someone who is a bit of a picture re-sizing goon, I just noticed Facebook does it for you.

Mark G - 31/12/08 at 03:00 PM

what a great way to spend xmas.

My fav car when I was little. V Jealous!

Howlor - 31/12/08 at 04:34 PM

You could have had the lump out and in a packing crate within the hour, $600 for the deposit would have made a cheap donor lump!

hobbsy - 31/12/08 at 04:57 PM

How big is the video in MB?

If its not massive you could send it to me and I'll stick it on my webspace...

Liam - 31/12/08 at 05:23 PM

Mmmm nice. The fit of that hard top reminds me of a dodgy toupée though