Board logo

Driving glasses
Davey D - 16/5/09 at 11:00 AM

does everyone wear a helmet when out driving their 7's these days, or do people wear glasses?

understandably a helmet does give extra protection, but i dont want to wear one all the time... i want to feel the wind through my hair

ive got some expensive oakley glasses, but im a bit worried about the wind getting under them, and flipping them off my face, and onto the road behind me

so ive been looking for things like this:

from this shop: http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/40/polarized-low-profile-ski-goggles-sunglasses

they are polycarbonate, so shouldnt shatter on impact, and come with 3 different colour lens. also with the head strap they shouldnt come off your head unexpectedly.

does anyone have any experience of these combined glasses/goggles? it even says on the description people have been wearing them for driving kitcars

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/5/09 at 11:05 AM

How much for these things

I got some snazzy saftey specs from Cromwell for 1.99 a pair from their specials bin.
even at a fiver they are locost enough to trash

some other things
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN9609620K

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/BOL9602010A

[Edited on 16-5-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 16-5-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Jasper - 16/5/09 at 11:07 AM

They wont stop the flies and stones hitting your face though ..... it bloody hurts when it happens....

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/5/09 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
They wont stop the flies and stones hitting your face though ..... it bloody hurts when it happens....

Fit a windscreen horrrorsssss

prawnabie - 16/5/09 at 11:27 AM

I bought the dixon glasses above - nowt really to say - they do exactly what they say on the tin!!

Shaun

Moorron - 16/5/09 at 11:28 AM

ive just been looking at getting something like the above, i found www.eyewear2gogo.co.uk had a good range and the prices are fantastic (£15 ish). Their postage is expensive but i was going to get a few styles and also get some for a biking friend so delivery is shared.

Still not sure which to get tho.

Jasper - 16/5/09 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Fit a windscreen horrrorsssss

that;'s exactly what i did when I built my second car Oh yes, and a heater, and a roof, and carpets, and windscreen wipers ....

Kriss - 16/5/09 at 12:29 PM

I bought soem Indian Motorcyle night glasses from ebay for about £12. they are fab and can wear them at night unlike shades.

they are a yellow ting lense but they dnt come across all ali G lol, absolutley brilliant

maximill666 - 16/5/09 at 01:01 PM

I have got a pair of Oakley X-Metal Juliets, they are designed for sport. Even at 100 mph+ they stay fimly in place.

Not cheap, but a quality bit of kit & well worth the money.

Description
Description

Danozeman - 16/5/09 at 01:39 PM

I have glasses from specsavers

Cant see without them.

tendoshingan - 16/5/09 at 02:09 PM

I wear skydiving goggles, they are tried and tested up to about 140 mph.
also only cost around £15 per set

thepest - 16/5/09 at 04:22 PM

I wear a pair of them, but I just use the glasses arms and not the elastic band. They do the job perfectly and look cool too
got em from:
http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/38/teps-basic

What I like about them is that they allow some air into the lens without it being turbulent.

rusty nuts - 16/5/09 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tendoshingan
I wear skydiving goggles, they are tried and tested up to about 140 mph.
also only cost around £15 per set

I always used a pair of horse racing goggles when I was a sky god. Can't remember anyone using anything different and they only cost a fiver at the most.

cloudy - 16/5/09 at 04:57 PM

Screwfix makita safety glasses, stay well planted at speed, and cheap

JoelP - 16/5/09 at 06:38 PM

i used dewalt safety shades, cheap and cheerful.

Ninehigh - 16/5/09 at 08:00 PM

Anyone know of anything like that I could get a lens ground into? I'm supposed to wear glasses for driving but I'm not looking like a proper geek wearing 2 pairs!

Vindi_andy - 17/5/09 at 10:49 AM

ninehigh dixons do a set of their TEPS type with an insert that they will fit prescription lenses into

My wife is looking to get a pair of these at the next show.

David Jenkins - 17/5/09 at 11:08 AM

I looked at those at a show - the insert looks a bit weird, and far too small, but when I tried on a pair I found that I was always looking through the frame of the insert, so they would certainly do the job.

If you give them your prescription they'll make and fit the lenses - apparently they are also an optician/prescription place. Don't under-estimate the cost though...

[Edited on 17/5/09 by David Jenkins]

Ninehigh - 18/5/09 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
ninehigh dixons do a set of their TEPS type with an insert that they will fit prescription lenses into

My wife is looking to get a pair of these at the next show.

Dixons?

I take it you don't mean the electrical shop that died out a few years ago...

I'll have a Google