Board logo

VW Polo Oil change - easy??
Beardy_John - 18/7/09 at 01:28 PM

Hi all,

While out working on my tin top a neighbor asked if I could give his Polo an oil change for him. Not a problem, but never having worked on a VW before, do I need anything special for the drain plug etc...

rusty nuts - 18/7/09 at 02:08 PM

19 mm spanner IIRC although some later ones may need a special socket to remove the oil filter.

Beardy_John - 18/7/09 at 02:17 PM

cheers rusty nuts. I've got a chain strap wrench for oil filters, would that work?, or is it an odd shape?

stevem2727 - 18/7/09 at 02:23 PM

looks exactly the same as a normal oil filter,but has a 27mm nut on the end.Most vws ive worked on have just had 19mm sump plugs,good luck

Beardy_John - 18/7/09 at 02:57 PM

Brilliant, cheers guys. Should see me get a few beer tokens next weekend then

geoff shep - 18/7/09 at 03:59 PM

Depends on the engine. This month's Car Mechanics mag shows a 1.4 petrol service including oil and filter change.

hillbillyracer - 18/7/09 at 04:57 PM

What age is it? Most of the recent VWs have the modern cartridge type oil filter with a plastic cap which you need a big socket to fit, 36mm I think. Despite the large socket sie they dont need to be tightened much, it may have the correct torque setting on the plastic cap. It's easy to deal with but you're gonna struggle without the socket!
My mate's 51 reg Golf TDI PD, the 07 reg T5 Transporter I occasionally see, & the 03 reg Golf V5 my sister had all use that type but my 51 reg T4 Transporter is an old fashioned spin-on filter.

Beardy_John - 18/7/09 at 09:19 PM

Its an N reg, so it should be an old spin on type with no socket required.