Board logo

Bye Bye Locost
dogwood - 20/7/09 at 07:14 PM

If what I have been reading on the Haynes forum is correct about Chris Gibbs

then I will no longer be posting on this forum.

I think it's totaly out of order.
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2366
David

[Edited on 21/7/09 by dogwood]

RichardK - 20/7/09 at 07:15 PM

Yikes, looks like things need to settle for a while while emotions calm a little.

I remember seeing that joke and thought it quite funny and to be honest quite in line with Chris who appears to be quite a playfull charactor.

Certainly didn't think he'd get banned for it.

I also don't think it right for an admin to change somebodies user profile without that users permission even if the person does own the board.

Just seem a bit OTT.

Like many I've now finished my car and am in the position like Chris to be able to offer advice to the newbies so unfortuanatly the people who suffer the most are the new builders who can't learn from the people who have been there and done that if they aren't allowed to contribute just because a joke went do bad.

Hope it all gets sorted soon.

Rich

[Edited on 20/7/09 by RichardK]

t.j. - 20/7/09 at 07:15 PM

??? Are we splitting?

02GF74 - 20/7/09 at 07:16 PM

clue?

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 07:17 PM

he has been banned for starting joke posts.

TBF i think this is the same situation Mr henderson was in a few weeks back, something that got out of hand really quickly and ended up witht he worst possible outcome.

[Edited on 20/7/09 by prawnabie]

dan__wright - 20/7/09 at 07:18 PM

reading it now on the haynes forum

dan__wright - 20/7/09 at 07:23 PM

sig fixed

Guinness - 20/7/09 at 07:24 PM

Just found the Haynes forum. Busy there init.

Mike

flak monkey - 20/7/09 at 07:29 PM

Seems a bit OTT for what was a pretty normal couple of posts from Chris, i.e tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Gazeddy - 20/7/09 at 07:31 PM

I'm with the haynes roadster guys. It was a joke and got out of hand. But I dnt think he needed that putting I his sig. Like somone said of the for sale post contrbution was announced it would have been better recieved. I am going to donate on payday provided ther is another way to donate other than paypal.

t.j. - 20/7/09 at 07:34 PM

Hope they sort it out...

I don't like more then one LCB.

The contribution is tru the internet, not my style yet.. But it free to do. So....

We need to hear both sides....

handyandy - 20/7/09 at 07:38 PM

this has got out of hand,
surely a SIGNATURE is a members PERSONAL input to his/hers profile & in my opinion should NOT BE ALTERED BY ANYONE, unless the signature is offensive or uses foul language.

it is down right rude that Chris Gibbs signature has been changed .

with all due respect to ChrisW, that is a step too far, big brother rings a bell.

andy

David Jenkins - 20/7/09 at 07:39 PM

When I read Chris's post I thought "Ooh - that's not going to go down well".

I do think the reaction was too blunt.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other...

Shame. Hope it all settles down again.

DarrenW - 20/7/09 at 07:41 PM

I hope this gets sorted out amicably. Seems such a shame for it to get out of hand. Cant help thinking there is more to it than just an ill timed joke in the madhouse section.

Would be nice to see ChrisG back with us rather than a bit of a forum split.

slimtater - 20/7/09 at 07:42 PM

The signature that has been added is an absolute disgrace and is a complete abuse of the position of a mod/admin.

The number of endless threads of petty arguements that have been allowed to go on, yet someone who has a put more in to helping locost builders than most gets banned?

balidey - 20/7/09 at 07:45 PM

I personally think that if a notice had been posted up in advance about the donation requirement then there would have been no posts about it and then this would not have happened. but it has, and I can see this causing one of those US and THEM situations, which I detest.

Andy W - 20/7/09 at 07:46 PM

I think if Chris hadn't posted this, it would not have been long before someone tried to sell something in another section in the forum anyway.
By making a joke, it has probably stopped this happening.
Definate over re-action

Andy

flak monkey - 20/7/09 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slimtater
The signature that has been added is an absolute disgrace and is a complete abuse of the position of a mod/admin.

The number of endless threads of petty arguements that have been allowed to go on, yet someone who has a put more in to helping locost builders than most gets banned?

Agreed. The addition of the sig is totally OTT. Personal digs are uncalled for from either side, in my opinion.

A post in the annoucements section about the change to the for sale rules would have made things a LOT smoother, and would have caused a lot less hassle I think. I can totally understand Chris' standpoint that he cant afford to provide this site for free and relies on contributions of members to keep it up and running hence why I contributed a long time ago as the amount of knowledge and advice on here is second to none.

There are a lot of forums that place very strict rules on even posting the for sale section (one I am on requires you have been a member for over 1 year and have over 500 technical related posts!) so we do have it pretty easy in here really

David

jpindy3 - 20/7/09 at 07:52 PM

mate thats fu*king funny,he shouldnt be barred for that!

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 07:52 PM

This is only my opinion, and don't have a go at me but...

I think people who are regarded as "suppliers" so to speak (triton, chris_g, marc n etc etc) who post on this forum should maintain a professional attitude.

Please don't think im say they can't have a laugh, but they should distance them selves from anything that would cause trouble on the forum.

Maybe im just old fashioned, but this is the way i would expect it to be if it was my forum!

[Edited on 20/7/09 by prawnabie]

COREdevelopments - 20/7/09 at 07:55 PM

seems someone is getting too big for his boots!! I have noticed alot of threads being closed recently. Think we need to get back to building things, which is what we are all here for not "bitching"

Rob

Dangle_kt - 20/7/09 at 07:55 PM

Pretty sad state of affairs that doesn;t seem to do anyone any favours.

Fozzie is a great mod, and runs the site fine - we are used to the style that is used. I guess Chris has a different more agressive style - the shame is that it is all born from a change in policy.

If that hadn't have happened none of this agro would have appeared.

personally I;d have pour oil on troubled waters rather than do something that makes things worse - but like I said we arn;t used to Chris's style.

Maybe he will return to a less hands on approach and things can get back to normal?

mistergrumpy - 20/7/09 at 07:56 PM

But Chris isn't a supplier, trader or anything is he? He's just a member who wrote a book in relation to a car (not a Locost) just as other members may fix cars or supply car parts that are totally unrelated too.

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 07:59 PM

hence the "so to speak"

change supplier to "person associated with "locost/haynes" in a proffesional/business sence".

mistergrumpy - 20/7/09 at 08:03 PM

Nah can't agree with you Prawn. Not having a go mind. For instance as some may know I'm a copper (I know, I know)and as such I have to act professionally so as not to bring the force into disrepute (no funny comments!) but it doesn't mean that I can't let my hair down when I'm out and even more so when I'm on an internet site, which some people tend to take far too seriously.

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 08:07 PM

Mistergrumpy I can appreciate what you are saying.

mistergrumpy - 20/7/09 at 08:11 PM

Just agree to disagree eh I wasn't having a go like I say.
Hey, an amicable agreement, just what sems to be missing on here at the moment.

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 08:12 PM

Maybe we will start a trend lol

spikehaus - 20/7/09 at 08:15 PM

Not sure if this Forum is for me any more?

speedyxjs - 20/7/09 at 08:16 PM

Look at it from chrisw's point of view. Despite a message coming up on the screen informing you of the reasons, people are still posting new threads asking why they cant access for sale threads. This is really annoying and i can see why it upset chrisw. Its nice to have a joke but posting a new thread after chrisw blocked the previous one and told him why was a bit out of order imho.

speedyxjs - 20/7/09 at 08:18 PM

spikehaus - you may want to resize your avatar. There is a restriction on the size of it (150 pixels iirc)

dinosaurjuice - 20/7/09 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
spikehaus - you may want to resize your avatar. There is a restriction on the size of it (150 pixels iirc)

speedyxjs, your avatar is 200pix wide

t.j. - 20/7/09 at 08:22 PM

hey Grumpy...

I do think a police-officer needs also be friendly and drugs-free in his free-time.

but I also think it isn't word to agrue on the internet.

So both Chrisses: have a drink and bring it back to the friendly-modus...

DavidW - 20/7/09 at 08:24 PM

Seems like a harsh decision and the site loses a useful member.

COREdevelopments - 20/7/09 at 08:24 PM

shite my avatar is 160x80. hope i dont get pulled by the avatar fuzz!

Rob

mistergrumpy - 20/7/09 at 08:24 PM

Sorry TJ I didn't understand any of that?

speedyxjs - 20/7/09 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
quote:

Whoops

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 08:29 PM

quote:
quote:

It doesn't matter, its a jjaaaaaggggggg!

speedyxjs - 20/7/09 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
quote:
quote:

balidey - 20/7/09 at 08:33 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

hey, don't try and diffuse the situation with humour, there's a hissy fit going on.

spikehaus - 20/7/09 at 08:38 PM

All done, is this small enough now? Its a shame you can see it!

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 08:39 PM

Just been reading the Haynes forum thread as well as this one. Sorry ChrisW but this does seem to be a huge own goal with what you did with ChrisG's signature. Fair enough if you didnt find his joke funny and inappropriate at this time (and i'm sure you may be fed up of all the posts) - but to put that in his signature at the same time as banning him is SERIOUSLY below the belt and in my eyes a very petty thing to do.

This could get seriously out of hand - surely Chris G can be reinstated / signature removed etc??

speedyxjs - 20/7/09 at 08:46 PM

Just read what his sig has been edited to. I think that is a bit ott, especially to say he is never to return

JoelP - 20/7/09 at 08:48 PM

out of order.

eccsmk - 20/7/09 at 08:51 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Paul (Notts) - 20/7/09 at 08:53 PM

Sorry in advance if I upset some of the other posters but have been watching this develop for the past few days and now feel the need to put my view forward…

ChrisW developed and runs this site and Fozzie helps to maintain and moderate it in their own time.

This site has been a fantastic help to us all..

If someone starts to take the P**s out of the people who run the site then they can expect a response.. ( including avaters etc)

This is a basic fact of life – not big brother watching over us.

So all you people who are up in arms, take a step back and actually think about it…

Paul

gazza285 - 20/7/09 at 08:53 PM

Not the first time something like this has happened, remember the Worx affair?

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)

So all you people who are up in arms, take a step back and actually think about it…

Paul

I've thought about it - and still find the Signature that ChrisW put onto every single one of ChrisG's post very petty. To ban him is one thing..... but to do that is below the belt imho.

Howlor - 20/7/09 at 09:04 PM

Do we need a technical meeting in Paris to discuss the differences, is the Haynes forum a breakaway section that deep down is going to be run by ChrisW?!

mangogrooveworkshop - 20/7/09 at 09:04 PM

Calvinix should come back as a ref

slimtater - 20/7/09 at 09:07 PM

Yep, taken a few steps back, had a cup of tea, packed for my holidays.

The signature editing still is a disgrace. The original "issue" isn't an unusual one on a forum to be honest, but the reaction by those in charge is.

Howlor - 20/7/09 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

Now your talking, bring back the proper discussions / arguments. Welding I recall was his pet subject!

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spikehaus
All done, is this small enough now? Its a shame you can see it!

There was a thread about it by der management asking for people to resize avatars to save Fozzie having to contact people individually

link

Paul (Notts) - 20/7/09 at 09:08 PM

quote:

I've thought about it - and still find the Signature that ChrisW put onto every single one of ChrisG's post very petty. To ban him is one thing..... but to do that is below the belt imho.

Sorry, but have to disagree with you on that. Its certainly not petty. Its simply making it clear ( from ChrisW point ) what has happened.

Paul

scottc - 20/7/09 at 09:08 PM

quote:

LOL

handyandy - 20/7/09 at 09:22 PM

quote:
quote:

Sorry, but have to disagree with you on that. Its certainly not petty. Its simply making it clear ( from ChrisW point ) what has happened.

Paul

But Paul, a signature is a personal part of a members profile, not a place to "get back" at a member for their actions no matter how annoyed ChrisW is/was with what created the bad feeling, or is the signature just somewhere for "forum management" to control something about a member???
Chris Gibbs can now not even get onto this forum to respond but yet every post he has written is slurred with that signature ????? that is horrendous IMO.

its like someone painting nasty comments with gloss paint across someones property but not allowed to scrub it off.

DISGUSTING

Andy

flak monkey - 20/7/09 at 09:24 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Nice one

afj - 20/7/09 at 09:25 PM

how about i lighten the mood BEC is better than CEC

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 09:25 PM

quote:
quote:

Paul

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one i think Paul. I dont think its appropriate for Admin / site owners to stoop to a signature that looks like ChrisG could have written it himself. Doesnt look good to anyone visiting the site who hasnt seen whats happened surely. Just think the signature was unnecessary really

Benzine - 20/7/09 at 09:29 PM

quote:

Srsly? XD Try reading it back to youself again

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Benzine]

prawnabie - 20/7/09 at 09:32 PM

What it all boils down to is the fact that chrisw owns the site, he makes the rules and exercises them in a way he sees fit.

Poor fozz has to back chris up regardless of her views, and being customer facing, is getting all the grief!

Chris g is well know enough not to fade into obscurity and does have his own forum to fall back on.

I agree its a shame all of this has happened, but the more it is carried on, the longer it will take for the powers that be to make a decision on what happens next.

Jon Ison - 20/7/09 at 09:36 PM

mmmmmmmm, ok here goes.

I know exactly what as happened here, Chris as posted something that as been took the wrong way, the other Chris as retaliated and that as been took the wrong way, (prior to the sig been altered which is ott imho to) two partied believe they are right, neither will back down so its stale mate.

These things happen on Internet forums, its the problem with the written word, you cant see any facial expressions as its been written, I'm sure had it not been written but said with the spoken word over a pint at a club meeting for example it would have been laughed at by all concerned.

anyhow only one way to resolve it

Chris 1 & Chris 2, talk to each other, laugh it off and move on, life's to short and not a dress rehearsal.

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
anyhow only one way to resolve it

Chris 1 & Chris 2, talk to each other, laugh it off and move on, life's to short and not a dress rehearsal.

Agreed...... and in the way it should have been sorted out in the first place - in private via U2U / email.

graememk - 20/7/09 at 09:47 PM

must admit it looks like someone has PMT.

i replied to his post as a joke assuming it was posted as a joke.

Paul (Notts) - 20/7/09 at 09:57 PM

Benzine

now I have put my reading glasses on and looked again -----

I am still of the same opinion.

Paul

Steve G - 20/7/09 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
must admit it looks like someone has PMT.

i replied to his post as a joke assuming it was posted as a joke.

I thought you were ChrisW there at first with that avatar!!

JUD - 20/7/09 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

Wise words - tell me about it...

Steve Hignett - 20/7/09 at 10:12 PM

Pathetic...
(as per...)

Liam - 20/7/09 at 10:17 PM

No problems with the for sale forum rule personally. As somebody mentioned - freeloaders have it pretty good here compared to some places. But what an idiotic response to an obvious (and pretty funny) joke! Sigh...

bonzoronnie - 20/7/09 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Benzine

now I have put my reading glasses on and looked again -----

I am still of the same opinion.

Paul

Should have gone to spec savers

Sorry if that is classed as advertising

DarrenW - 20/7/09 at 10:36 PM

quote:

And what makes you think he has gone anywhere?

blakep82 - 20/7/09 at 10:49 PM

i was a bit disappointed by the ??? thread being closed

DavidM - 20/7/09 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:

And what makes you think he has gone anywhere?

I doubt anybody cares either way.

David

TheGecko - 20/7/09 at 11:48 PM

As a long time member of the old Yahoo locost list (TOL) I remember well when it fell apart and splintered into a variety of other lists. Now what was the catalyst for that explosion?....... That's right - it was because two members treated a mail list with a few thousand members as if it was their own private chat line to bounce stupid messages to and fro. Now who were those members? Why, surprise, surprise, Chris Gibbons (plastictankman) and Chris Gibbs.

Does it surprise me to again see master Gibbs at the centre of a forum sh*t storm? Not in the least. Do I think the reaction by Chris W is over the top? Absolutely, but it's his forum (i.e. he pays the bills) so it's up to him to run it how he wants.

I suspect Chris Gibbs was the sort of child who would have been found poking animals through the bars at the zoo and, when ejected, would have complained "But I was just having a bit of fun!?".

Anyway - Mr Storm, meet Mr Teacup.

Dominic

ChrisW - 20/7/09 at 11:51 PM

I'll make one reply to this issue, and one reply only. The facts are as follows.

Chris has been a pain in the backside since day 1 of this site. I've lost track of the number of times he's been warned in the past, and in fact I'm sure he's been banned at least once, most likely more, in previous years and subsequently let back on the promise of behaving himself.

Every time something gets changed on the site, I see the same name popping up stirring up trouble. Maybe it's a coincidence that he's got a clone site on a similar subject. I use the word clone purposely, as right down to the forum headings it bears a striking resemblance.

I've even put up with his blantant plugs for his own site in his signature as I feel the volume of users and wealth of information here shines through.

In a strikingly common way, Chris has been stirring up trouble since the non-Contributor restrictions were brought in at the weekend. He was asked to stop, yet instead of doing so, he posted again trying to stir up trouble.

This is by no means an isolated event, and not down to any one post, topic, or reply.

He was banned from posting earlier, and left with the lifeline of u2u capabilities in the hope that he would contact me regarding the situation. Instead of doing so, his avatar was changed, and the u2u function was instead used to try to stir up more trouble in an attempt to get users to move across. His signature was also changed to a sarcastic message to do the same.

This latest series of events are the final, final straw and hence he has been banned. I've given in before and let him back, but it has been proved time and time again that his sole intention is to stir up trouble and waste time for both Fozzie and myself, which we should be spending on more productive tasks, and in turn causes a negative effect for all other users of the forum.

In short, Chris feels he is in some way superior to everyone else, and can say and do what he wants. Whether this is in some way related to his position on the Haynes site is for you to decide. However, it is my decision that his behaviour will not be tolerated any more on this site, and that is my final word on the subject.

Cheers, Chris

twybrow - 21/7/09 at 10:28 AM

I don't think you can have a pop about the titles of the Haynes forum. The subject matter is virtually 100% the same as LCB, so is it really a suprise that the main forum titles are the same? If it aint broke and all that?!

Its just a shame, as there have been other members far more hell bent on causing trouble, that were never banned. I just hope you (ChrisW) don't live to regret this action, on account of the fall out.

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 10:42 AM

Sounds like locost builders will just have to carry on with out him!

Neville Jones - 21/7/09 at 11:07 AM

As posted on the Poll thread, this is karma.

Chris Gibbs has caused a lot of grief previously, and not had the 'strength of character', or guts to own up and apologise.

Nev.

Edited......part of post removed..please provide a reference if you make any sort of allegation......

[Edited on 21-7-09 by Fozzie]

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
As posted on the Poll thread, this is karma.

Chris Gibbs has caused a lot of grief previously, and not had the 'strength of character', or guts to own up and apologise.

Nev.

how can he????????? he isn,t allowed to log on, get your facts straight !!!!!!!!!!

and as for "his " cars !!!!! they are not HIS, they are built by individual members you pathetic moron !!!!!!!
people like you are the ones that should be banned, you are PATHETIC

ar$ehole

andy

[Edited on 22/7/09 by handyandy]

Neville Jones - 21/7/09 at 11:36 AM

If only you knew the truth of what Mr.Gibbs has been up to in the past.......

Edited......part of post removed, please provide a reference to support allegation.....Fozzie

[Edited on 21-7-09 by Fozzie]

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 11:45 AM

quote:

I,M BUILDING MY CAR, that was designed by Chris & M.Keenan,

for you to say that ALL the cars being built by Haynes forum members are going to fall apart is touching on the verge of slander!!!!

so are you saying that my car built by me is going to fall apart? doubting MY ability to build a car????????

just crawl back under the stone you came from & shut the f%$k up you prat !!!!!!!

you are a sad face of the kit car world.

pathetic

andy

[Edited on 22/7/09 by handyandy]

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 11:50 AM

handyandy, decide which board you want you loyalties to lie with and stick to that decision, people opinions are people opinions. You have made a few of yours know over the two board in recent days.

cd.thomson - 21/7/09 at 11:52 AM

Hi Andy, I'm trying to steer clear of this issue (on the advice of Chrisg before he left when he *wasnt* trying to incite these kinds of threads) but don't want to see you get in trouble considering I think you're one of the members that makes this site what it is.

Let this Neville lad have his say - unfortunately arguing on the internet never gets resolved, and its too easy for him to just wind you up and get you annoyed/angry/frustrated.

Remember that the actions of the last few days do not represent the thoughts and opinions of the general community here.

Marcus - 21/7/09 at 11:53 AM

Can't be arsed.....

[Edited on 21/7/09 by Marcus]

bonzoronnie - 21/7/09 at 11:58 AM

You sir are a complete and utter Fu**ing.......MORON

Why don't you crawl back under the rock that you have came from !!??

What you have written is libel And has no basis of fact

I hope Haynes sue your sorry ass

Lets see if admin will delete you post, though I very much doubt it. !!??

quote:

[Edited on 21/7/09 by bonzoronnie]

[Edited on 22/7/09 by bonzoronnie]

RichardK - 21/7/09 at 12:13 PM

quote:
handyandy, decide which board you want you loyalties to lie with and stick to that decision, people opinions are people opinions. You have made a few of yours know over the two board in recent days.

Not sure why somebody needs to decide where their loyalties lie, why can't we all co-exist sharing the same passion?

It will be a sad if we get to the point that we have to choose.

All imho of course.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 21/7/09 by RichardK]

slimtater - 21/7/09 at 12:16 PM

quote:

Now all we have to wait for is his cars to start to break up, as they will, and he'll finally be shown for what he really is.

Nev.

Would you like to U2U me the evidence to support this claim? I am presuming you aren't willing to post this on an open forum for fear of attack?
Considering I have a Roadster that is now nearly two years old, covered 4000 miles (including track days) and so far the only "failures" have been a clutch cable and battery. I would like an early heads up as to when it may start to break up.
Thanks.

Edited to add, I have followed the correct process and forum etiquette by reporting the original post by Neville Jones and trust that the forum admin/mods act with the appropriate level of consistency required.

[Edited on 21/7/09 by slimtater]

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 12:19 PM

Sorry I didn't mean everyone, take last night for instance.

A poster made a comment about the size of someones avatar. The person in question then went straight onto the haynes board and told everyone "they had been told off" for the size of their avatar.

That kind of tittle tattling makes me wish that person would choose a forum and stick with it.

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Hi Andy, I'm trying to steer clear of this issue (on the advice of Chrisg before he left when he *wasnt* trying to incite these kinds of threads) but don't want to see you get in trouble considering I think you're one of the members that makes this site what it is.

Let this Neville lad have his say - unfortunately arguing on the internet never gets resolved, and its too easy for him to just wind you up and get you annoyed/angry/frustrated.

Remember that the actions of the last few days do not represent the thoughts and opinions of the general community here.

Thankyou Craig,

i do enjoy this forum & have met lots of helpful people & recieved good advice & help when i,ve requested it, but the situation with the forum member N Jones implying that MY car is unsafe promted my response,

my loyalties are first & formost to me & my car, the fact that i,m building a Haynes Roadster has no baring on where my loyalties lie, if i see something that IMO is out of order i feel i have the right to respond,
i do take onboard what you mean in a pleasant way but its not very often that i put any negative / argue type posts on this site.

i hope that Mr Jones crawls away & stays away......... IMHO he is a PRAT

cheers
andy

bonzoronnie - 21/7/09 at 12:22 PM

quote:

This thread has certainly bought out the moron element.

If you think that post was in any way appropiate, then god help us all

cd.thomson - 21/7/09 at 12:24 PM

I hope you took the post as complementary Andy, see Chrisg's post on the haynes thread for more information re: Mr Jones.

He is a troll and his aim is to invoke that response unfortunately.

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
quote:

If these "board hoppers" would stick to one board though, this thread would have died this morning!

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I hope you took the post as complementary Andy, see Chrisg's post on the haynes thread for more information re: Mr Jones.

He is a troll and his aim is to invoke that response unfortunately.

yes Craig i did, & thankyou,

as said, its not often i get annoyed but when i do then i do so with "all guns blazing"

again thankyou Craig.

best regards
andy

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 12:34 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

If these "board hoppers" would stick to one board though, this thread would have died this morning!

so are you saying i,m now not allowed to be logged onto both forums??????

if you are saying that, what gives you the right to tell me what to do whilst i,m sat in my own home?????

andy

ps.... are you another TROLL????

bonzoronnie - 21/7/09 at 12:40 PM

As a contributer of this forum. I should be free to log in whenever I choose.

Hopefully, one day the moron element will get bored, leaving this forum a much nicer place to visit

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 12:42 PM

Hehehe far from it mate - although I didn't look into the mirror this morning lol!

No my point was that there are a number of people posting comments on here, then going onto the other forum and saying - "here look at the thread on lcb" knowing it will get a response.

My views are my views, im not trying to impart them on anyone as i know they maybe abit quirky and old fashioned - not that Im an old get, its just the way I think!!

slimtater - 21/7/09 at 12:44 PM

Are you suggesting that people who are members of more than one forum are "board hoppers"?
On the one hand you are wanting the thread to die, yet with the other, you type an antagonistic statement?
Can't agree more that the threads on this forum have become a little elongated and unnecessary, but I am unsure if you have justification to giving people a label when you know absolutely nothing about them?

handyandy - 21/7/09 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Hehehe far from it mate - although I didn't look into the mirror this morning lol!

No my point was that there are a number of people posting comments on here, then going onto the other forum and saying - "here look at the thread on lcb" knowing it will get a response.

My views are my views, im not trying to impart them on anyone as i know they maybe abit quirky and old fashioned - not that Im an old get, its just the way I think!!

your views are your views as much as my views are my views.

so with all due respect please don,t tell me what i should or should not do with respect of being on both forums.

andy

prawnabie - 21/7/09 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
quote:

your views are your views as much as my views are my views.

so with all due respect please don,t tell me what i should or should not do with respect of being on both forums.

andy

Amen to that!

bonzoronnie - 21/7/09 at 12:57 PM

To Quote Captain Scott

I am going to the other side now

May be gone for some time

GrumpyOne - 21/7/09 at 01:48 PM

I thought Kirk was the Captain and Scotty was only the engineer.

procomp - 21/7/09 at 02:13 PM

Hi

I am surprised that Lord Charles has not made any comments on this subject.

Cheers Matt

dave1888 - 21/7/09 at 03:28 PM

This is mental its a forum to help and assist people build cars it now seems like a place to come to and post about anything and everything. The forum with the most posts is ANYTHING ELSE its way in front by 100,000 posts 19000 topics compared to 100,000 posts 12000 topics in the ENGINE AND RUNNING GEAR forum.
FFS What does that tell you. I dont use this forum so much now because of the 5h1t3 thats posted on here its become a gossip column for people with nothing better to do all day. You all know who you are. If ChrisW has banned someone for life he must have had a good/justifiable reason not that i have anything against ChrisG. Coffee and popcorn anyone.

mistergrumpy - 21/7/09 at 03:36 PM

Yes but when the section is put in place in the first instance inviting people to talk about "other stuff on a car related theme" (anything else) or " Jokes, links, and any other non-Locost related stuff" (mad house) then people are going to use them. That's what they're there for so you can't really complain. You could if it were your forum, but....

[Edited on 21/7/09 by mistergrumpy]

[Edited on 21/7/09 by mistergrumpy]

splitrivet - 21/7/09 at 04:27 PM

Absolutely ridiculous, Chrisw and fozzie have known Chrisg for years and knows as we all do Chris's sense of humour can be a bit acerbic.
To ban him for this just reflects badly on themselves.
Very very sad.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 21/7/09 by splitrivet]

speedyxjs - 21/7/09 at 04:27 PM

quote:
A poster made a comment about the size of someones avatar. The person in question then went straight onto the haynes board and told everyone "they had been told off" for the size of their avatar.

Assuming that was me, i dont see how 'you may want to resize your avatar' can be regarded as a telling off.

RK - 21/7/09 at 05:01 PM

Can we see the combatants in those plastic sumo wrestler suits you used to see, and then post it on youtube?

Mr G - 21/7/09 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
Coffee and popcorn anyone.

Don't mind if I do!

COREdevelopments - 21/7/09 at 05:34 PM

Totally agree with dave1888. It seems we have all lost our purpose on this site. Which is to help one another with advice on building our cars and other sensible issues. Instead of petty arguing. Can this thread be closed now?

Rob

Keith Weiland - 21/7/09 at 05:44 PM

I don't know the whole story on the ban thing but to me it sounds like a form of Napoleon complex.

02GF74 - 21/7/09 at 06:38 PM

quote:
To Quote Captain Scott

I am going to the other side now

May be gone for some time

Wrong.

Captain Lawrence 'Titus' Oates is best-known known for telling his companions 'I am just going outside and may be some time' before he disappeared as the 1912 expedition came to a tragic end.

Neville Jones - 21/7/09 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

I am surprised that Lord Charles has not made any comments on this subject.

Cheers Matt

Ha Ha!!Good one.

He is now claiming that it was ChrisW responsible for the Lord Charles posts that caused the strife with Syd. ( We all know it wasn't) Couldn't lie straight in bed!

Nev.

[Edited on 21/7/09 by Neville Jones]

Liam - 21/7/09 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
This is mental its a forum to help and assist people build cars it now seems like a place to come to and post about anything and everything. The forum with the most posts is ANYTHING ELSE its way in front by 100,000 posts 19000 topics compared to 100,000 posts 12000 topics in the ENGINE AND RUNNING GEAR forum.
FFS What does that tell you. I dont use this forum so much now because of the 5h1t3 thats posted on here its become a gossip column for people with nothing better to do all day. You all know who you are.

You sad git Go to any forum, no matter how specialist, and you'll normally see a general chat section with a post count that far exceeds that of any of the focussed/technical sections. That merely reflects the fact that we humans are sociable animals who love to chat about all sorts of matters with like-minded people. Ok, maybe not you, but most of us! Feel free to start your own on-topic-posts-only forum. Sounds like fun

Liam

Ninehigh - 22/7/09 at 12:36 AM

"No thread specified"

Whatever it is I've missed yeah people's profiles/avatars/sigs shouldn't be changed by mods unless they're inflammatory/racist etc...

Although I presume he would have been told about this several times before a lifetime ban came about..

Swmbo had this done to her on another forum so she got some program that subverted the ban

NS Dev - 22/7/09 at 06:45 PM

A quick postie on this one, I've not read the full thread, but feel a little obliged to comment.

I use a number of foums, and this is the most loosely policed, in fact pretty much self policing, of any of them. I am pretty sure that is down to the members largely having more than one brain cell between them.

Next, lets not forget who makes the site possible. He doesn't appear to be over policing it to me, I've never had a warning to my knowledge, (though I probably am erring towards needing trader status now) and yet I upset all sorts of people in the opel manta club by having the audacity to argue on their forum.

At some point we have to accept that ChrisW and Fozzie do a great job of running the site, for our benefit, and that they have their reasons, and that's it, story over.

UncleFista - 25/7/09 at 06:47 PM

My two-pennorth;

ChrisW can do as he likes, it's his site, he pays the bills, but...

To change someone's sig to something he's made up himself isn't on, I can't think of another forum I've used where an admin has done something as cheap and petty, and I've known some cheap and petty admins

ChrisG is one of the reasons I left TOL and joined here, his sense of humour is as Yorkshire as it's possible to be, dry as chuff. Just cos' ChrisW doesn't "get" it doesn't make it right to change people's sig to whatever he fancies...

All IMHO of course..

Edited to add; I'm not pointing a finger at Fozzie, I love Fozzie and I'm forever in her debt for all the sterling work she does on the site. I'm also not suggesting for a moment that it was her who edited ChrisG's sig.

It's up to ChrisW to do as he wishes, but it doesn't make it right, what he's done is not right whichever way you look at it.
A sig is your own, people assume (quite rightly) that what it says are you OWN words.

A line has been crossed, and I reckon it reflects badly on the site

[Edited on 25/7/09 by UncleFista]

iank - 25/7/09 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
My two-pennorth;

ChrisW can do as he likes, it's his site, he pays the bills, but...

To change someone's sig to something he's made up himself isn't on, I can't think of another forum I've used where an admin has done something as cheap and petty, and I've known some cheap and petty admins

ChrisG is one of the reasons I left TOL and joined here, his sense of humour is as Yorkshire as it's possible to be, dry as chuff. Just cos' ChrisW doesn't "get" it doesn't make it right to change people's sig to whatever he fancies...

All IMHO of course..

If you read ChrisW's post above he says chrisg changed the signature not him...

UncleFista - 25/7/09 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you read ChrisW's post above he says chrisg changed the signature not him...

So let me get this straight, ChrisG wrote this as his sig ?

"Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!"

Steve G - 25/7/09 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
So let me get this straight, ChrisG wrote this as his sig ?

I didnt see where ChrisW said that ChrisG did the signature himself. Saw something about his avatar etc mentioned by Chris the boss