Board logo

Rage Against the Machine beat X Factor winner in charts
GMPMotorsport - 20/12/09 at 06:54 PM

At last no X factor number one at Christmas!

clairetoo - 20/12/09 at 06:55 PM

Just poured a large drink and turned it right up - history has been made tonight

coozer - 20/12/09 at 06:57 PM

I've got tears in my eyes after hearing Zak speak on Radio 1.

Can't wait to see them here next year!

iscmatt - 20/12/09 at 07:01 PM

wow I honestly can't believe, I've got it playing right now!!

emsfactory - 20/12/09 at 07:03 PM

Superb. Get it right round you Cowell.

ashg - 20/12/09 at 07:06 PM

simon cowell still wins though as rage are signed with EPIC records which is a part of sony bmg records which he part owns.

hes going to have a very nice christmas

[Edited on 20/12/09 by ashg]

Liam - 20/12/09 at 07:06 PM

Yeeeees!!! Christmas no.1 taken by actual artists who know the meaning of years of hard work, starting from nothing, actually writing their own material, giging, touring, recording, slowly building up to achieving greatness, and not the winner of some over hyped jumped up talent show! RATM were just the face for a worthy campaign - coulda been any real artists, to be honest, although I love RATM so am dead pleased!

Wooooo!!!!

speedyxjs - 20/12/09 at 07:08 PM

Ooooh yes!

mangogrooveworkshop - 20/12/09 at 07:09 PM

RATM are brill

make a non pc ringtone

Useful ringtone trimmer

http://www.tube2tone.com/

url trim to suit and download mp3....

flak monkey - 20/12/09 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
simon cowell still wins though as rage are signed with EPIC records which is a part of sony bmg records which he part owns.

hes going to have a very nice christmas

Rubbish, SyCo (his label) is owned by Sony. He doesnt stand to benefit from the RATM #1. Thats also been officially confirmed as well. Sony themselves will obviously benefit, but that was besides the point.

Been a RATM fan for a long time, and I have an orginal copy of the album somewhere

Will be a great free gig next year! Wonder where they will do it, they have a lot of fans to squeeze in!

David

motorcycle_mayhem - 20/12/09 at 07:19 PM

I got it on the laptop right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QBiqktDx0

It's a small step, never believed the vacuous celebrity supporting brigade would have to hear some music. I've been proved wrong, there is hope.

Time to open a bottle, put on some ACDC Live, it's too cold to put that engine back in anyway..

mangogrooveworkshop - 20/12/09 at 07:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0Auo50A1A&NR=1

flak monkey - 20/12/09 at 07:23 PM

quote:
The Los Angeles rock band's hit also set two records: it is the first single to reach the top of the charts on download sales alone and has achieved the biggest download sales total in a first week ever in the UK charts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

graememk - 20/12/09 at 07:31 PM

sounds like crap to me.....

i'm supporting the UK with my money not the usa

Dangle_kt - 20/12/09 at 07:37 PM

great news - it's a shame the lyrics of the last section of the song doesn't mention cowl personally, but it's close enough for me.

ashg - 20/12/09 at 07:39 PM

technically simon cowell works for sony in a round about kind of way. he has made sony more money. what do people get when they make their company lots of money. A bonus.

Publically they will never say that but im sure they are all rubbing their hands together with glee.

contaminated - 20/12/09 at 07:43 PM

I've heard all the arguments as to why this was a waste of time, but I still think it's magic! First time I've ever bought a single and it goes to No. 1!

zilspeed - 20/12/09 at 07:49 PM

Never having having heard the RATM song, I clicked one of the youtube links above.
This subsequently let me to clicking a further link to a version of the song done by Audioslave at some US festival. Apparently RATM with a different singer.
The singer asked everyone to clench their fists at the start, some did, some didn't.
He asked them again, only louder and angrier.
They all clenched their fists this time.

As they were told.

The irony of the song being all about bucking the system / not doing what you're told / fighting 'the man', was not lost on me.

Merry Christmas everyone.

johnston - 20/12/09 at 08:00 PM

quote:
technically simon cowell works for sony in a round about kind of way. he has made sony more money. what do people get when they make their company lots of money. A bonus.

Publically they will never say that but im sure they are all rubbing their hands together with glee.

exactly as an EMPLOYEE of sony music entertainment, Cowells job is to make money buy selling records, Part of his way is mass media manipulation using X factor.

CONGRATULATIONS RATM people you helped Simon Cowell do his job this year. I can see him getting a bumper bonus from his employers this year , he sold them over 1million singles and from what I gather the most EVER.

Cousin Cleotis - 20/12/09 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnston
quote:

exactly as an EMPLOYEE of sony music entertainment, Cowells job is to make money buy selling records, Part of his way is mass media manipulation using X factor.

CONGRATULATIONS RATM people you helped Simon Cowell do his job this year. I can see him getting a bumper bonus from his employers this year , he sold them over 1million singles and from what I gather the most EVER.

I keep reading this kind of rubbish, its about the music, not who is profiting from it.

Paul

johnston - 20/12/09 at 08:16 PM

Who gives a toss its the singles chart. Who buys singles??? teeny boppers

Led zepplin fans managed to survive without them being in the charts. ( no singles were ever given permission by the band to be released)

And as for its not about the money WHY DOES X FACTOR EXIST??????? TO MAKE MONEY

The music industry isn't about music its about money.

If it was about music why do they stop free downloads??

Bumble - 20/12/09 at 08:17 PM

Personally couldn't give a monkey's about Cowell whichever way you look at it.......got to admire his ability to make money though....just a shame about the music in the process!! For me I'm just glad for Rage........seen them years ago in Milton Keynes and would love to see them in 2010.

coozer - 20/12/09 at 08:18 PM

The guys at RATM are donating the proceeds to Shelter, then promising us a free gig next year as a thank you.

Can you see Cowell doing that? I can't..

johnston - 20/12/09 at 08:22 PM

x factory fans have had joe once a week for 6 months for free see RATM beat that

and didnt they do another charity single this year ????

[Edited on 20/12/09 by johnston]

flak monkey - 20/12/09 at 08:35 PM

The whole point was to get some proper music at #1 for a change by a talented band, who write their own material and arent pub singers/glorified karaoke singers.

End of

The fact that RATM are signed to Sony is IRRELEVANT.

liam.mccaffrey - 20/12/09 at 08:38 PM

The nose of cynically scheduled, manufactured factory pop has been bloodied. Don't care who profits.

Not a fan of RATM personally but glad a proper working band won not a butlins karaoke jockey.

Joe will do well if anyone remembers who he is this time next year whether he got the number 1 or not.

I don't understand why the x factory fans are outraged, Joe will be number 1 next week anyway.

Cousin Cleotis - 20/12/09 at 09:00 PM

johnston, i think the whole point of getting RATM to number one this christmas is completely lost on you. It is not about money.

It has demonstrated that the x factor type music does not appeal to the majority of people in the UK.

Or perhaps it has demonstrated that internet users are more easily manipulated than x-factor viewers

Paul

[Edited on 20/12/09 by Cousin Cleotis]

johnston - 20/12/09 at 09:20 PM

quote:

It has demonstrated that the x factor type music does not appeal to the majority of people in the UK.

but it appeals to those who buy singles.

but some maths
x factor +rage = 1million single sales

population of united kingdom 61 million

so how does it show what the british public want??

60 million don't give a toss or is it that RATM doesnt appeal to the majority either ??

Cousin Cleotis - 20/12/09 at 10:00 PM

OK then, the majority of the minority that bought a single in the last week.

You are right 60 million people dont give a toss.

Paul

AndyW - 20/12/09 at 10:02 PM

what makes me laugh is it was a facebook bloke that decided to back RATM, the band didn't actually do anything. Would we all jump on the band wagon if the bloke from facebook had chosen something different. Of course we would, we all like to see Mr Cowell suffer along with the x-factor. We are all just pulled along by the masses and individuality is once again proved to be a thing of the past.

stevec - 20/12/09 at 10:39 PM

Hooray, the best £0.99 I have ever spent to Cowell

jlparsons - 20/12/09 at 10:43 PM

Anyone pondered that even if simon cowell doesn't profit in any way from rage's sales, the x-factor single may have sold MORE as a result of the competition? The race brought higher exposure, not to mention fans rallying around joe. How many people who bought rage would have bought the xfactor single? I have a hard time believing there's much crossover in those audiences.

scootz - 20/12/09 at 11:01 PM

The whole campaign had NOTHING to do with how much money was made by WHOEVER... it was about breaking the monopoly of X-Factor type cack hitting the top of the charts at Xmas. A statement... nothing else!

Just for those who aren't aware... RATM KITNO is not a current song. It was recorded in 1992 and featured on the bands hugely successful eponymous album . It was not released as a single during this campaign by Sony... it reached No 1 all by itself through internet campaigning and people-power.

The song was chosen because, a) it is a classic, and b) it features the repeated mantra... 'f*ck you, I won't do what you tell me'. During the campaign it was cheekily changed to 'f*ck you, I won't buy what you sell me'.

Sony will not make a huge amount of money from the RATM single sales... Cowell's company SYCO won't make a penny out of it. Sure, some smart arse exec may give him a playful pat on the back for being the cause of the extra couple of hundred grand going to Sony's coffers... but it WILL be a source of embarrassment for Cowell and his company.

No hard feelings to Joe... he'll do very well, thank you very much!

clairetoo - 21/12/09 at 06:40 AM

There was one organization that benefited from this - it raised £60000 for shelter , and RATM are donating a big chunk of their windfall to the charity .
What I'm really looking forward to is hearing it played on radio 2 on Christmas day

mad4x4 - 21/12/09 at 08:01 AM

I agree with Scootz

It's all about showing that even though the X factor assumes they had the number 1 is is power of the MASSES. I don;t care if simeon cowel make more from the RATM that JOE but aslong as he personally can;t dictate what will or willnot be number one that is what matters.

I wasn't IF joe bcomes Xmas Number 1 it was WHEN Joe... and that is what we have broken...

I feel sorry of JOE it's not his fault. it is just we are sick of what X factor type has done to music..... If the campaign had been a MR BLOBBY song we still would have all bought it just to OUIST Mr COWEL's monopoly.

flak monkey - 21/12/09 at 08:04 AM

Well said Scootz sums it up nicely.

And yes the homeless have benefitted this christmas, its only a drop in the ocean, but £65k from the fans and about another £60k from RATM will make things better for a few this christmas.

bmseven - 21/12/09 at 08:35 AM

IMHO both crap songs and whats the betting xfactor will be no1 next week

But it could have been anysong, RATM only made it to 25 in the charts first time around

tegwin - 21/12/09 at 09:52 AM

This clearly shows the power of the internet.... and no doubt there are people in the government who are seeing just how dangerous the web can be to them... hence their recent discussions of filtering and sensoring the web in the uk!

02GF74 - 21/12/09 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven

who cares about next week. just like does historoy remember the second man on the moon?

Do the BBC have a program "TOTPS a week after Christmas number ones"?

No.

Not a fan of RATM but I'm Glad it or anything else that is not manufctured crap won.

it was Buz Aldrin BTW.

gazza285 - 21/12/09 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
it was Buz Aldrin BTW.

Everybody knows it was Buzz Aldrin though.

Staple balls - 21/12/09 at 11:51 AM

But, who was in the Command Module?

steve m - 21/12/09 at 12:18 PM

Michael collins

steve m - 21/12/09 at 12:20 PM

I personly think that record is crap, and certainly not worth several years work and commitment,

Simon cowellis incredibly rich, and always ill be, and that is that,

jealously

steve

morcus - 21/12/09 at 09:19 PM

Shelter getting that money was the only good thing to come out of this and it hasn't proved anything. There isn't going to be a revolution and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was forgotten about within a short space of time. Chart history has loads of points where number 2 is better remembered than number 1 (Strawberry feilds forever/Penny lane is regarded by many people as the greatest single ever released but it was never number 1), though I doubt either of them will be fondly remembered.
I think its sad that some of you bought this as the first single you've ever bought, It wasn't long ago that most of my mates would buy singles every other week.

I think its a little funny that the mantra of this episode was F*!? you, I won't buy what you sell me, which was won by people blindly following an unkown.

flak monkey - 22/12/09 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Shelter getting that money was the only good thing to come out of this and it hasn't proved anything. There isn't going to be a revolution and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was forgotten about within a short space of time. Chart history has loads of points where number 2 is better remembered than number 1 (Strawberry feilds forever/Penny lane is regarded by many people as the greatest single ever released but it was never number 1), though I doubt either of them will be fondly remembered.
I think its sad that some of you bought this as the first single you've ever bought, It wasn't long ago that most of my mates would buy singles every other week.

I think its a little funny that the mantra of this episode was F*!? you, I won't buy what you sell me, which was won by people blindly following an unkown.

Lols

Think you are still missing the point but never mind and you obviously prefer karaoke to proper music (by which I mean music written by hardworking bands who have made a name for themselves - in any musical genre be it pop, rock, metal, jazz etc)

The only point that was being made is that people are fed up with xfactor dominating the xmas #1 spot and that not everyone likes the xfactor and it doesnt represent the only sort of music that people like. Nothing more.

I dont believe you actually think that in this case #2 will be better remembered than #1. I dont for one minute think that this is going to shake up the uk music industry, but it may well open a few peoples eyes to the fact that there are other options than manufactured karaoke singers.

You obviously aren't a fan of music or bands who write their own songs and work hard to gain a following. The fact is that it could have been any song which was picked. Pehaps if it had been a more widely known 'classic' you would be happier? Or maybe a more up to date song from a current band (e.g Black Stone Cherry) who are trying to build up a following and are getting there through touring and album promotions the hard way.

As for buying singles, I dont buy physical singles as there's never anything released that I would want to buy - the only stuff that makes it to single is the stuff they *think* we want to hear. I do quite happily buy digital singles though, but still prefer CD albums. CD singles only account for about 5% of singles sales every week anyway.

I dont get what you mean by 'blindly following an unknown'. Isn't that the whole point of the charts? You dont know whats #1 until the day. You take your pick and take your chance. I think you'll find pretty much only fans of the music will have bought the single, which is patently obvious looking at the facebook groups numbers (around 950k at the time) and the number of sales (around 540k) which is only just over 50% of the people who said they would buy it, with most probably buying more than 1 copy anyway. There was a lot of support but only a few of those people actually liked the music enough to shell out their money. Similar to apparently xfactor has 20m viewers, only 490k are happy to buy the single though.

Anyway enough of this. Each to their own.

David

PS The Beatles are overrated and boring.

graememk - 22/12/09 at 11:23 AM

looks like its flaks way or the highway, like the same as me or your wrong ????

flak monkey - 22/12/09 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
looks like its flaks way or the highway, like the same as me or your wrong ????

Lol, no not really. I honestly dont understand why anyone would like manufactured and hyped karaoke singers?

I like a huge range of music from classical to pop to dance to death metal and everything in between. As long as there is some appreciable talent there. I admit that the xfactory winner does have some talent, he can undoubtedly sing well.

My main dislike is the fact that they all sound exactly the same and are manufactured to be that way as thats apprarently the sort of music everyone likes and wants to hear.

David

[Edited on 22/12/09 by flak monkey]

flak monkey - 22/12/09 at 07:40 PM

Oh Louis Walsh you are such an idiot.
His comments are quite funny.

Li nky

quote:
Joe will go on to sell a lot more albums than Rage ever have done. He's going to have a huge career. Missing out on No1 this week will not make a difference to his life.

Rage Against The Machine couldn't fill Wembley now. I think Joe will.

LMFAO

Like any of them will reach Triple Platinum sales with 2 albums and double platinum with another, have all their albums debut at #1 in the album charts, or that they will still be going strong after 20 years (well after a few hiccups anyway!).

[Edited on 22/12/09 by flak monkey]

JoelP - 22/12/09 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven

But it could have been anysong, RATM only made it to 25 in the charts first time around

A ROCK band making it to 25 in the POP charts is epic in itself. Doesnt happen often.

Also, the lyrics arent about anarchy or rebellion, its a song about racist cops.

morcus - 22/12/09 at 08:59 PM

For the record, I don't like the Xfactor or any of that stuff, and I really hate how its taken over the Christmas number one. The reason that I feel the way I do is because Killing in the name of isn't a Christmas song, or even a new song, and it made its way to number one by conspiracy rather than its merit as a single.

I don't agree that the physical singles market is entirely manufactured, since the dawn of the record shop you've been able to order anything in production, and production will serge if there is a demand. I buy almost all of my singles on Vinyl so I have to ordered them before they're released, I don't buy singles because I want them to do well in the charts, I buy them because I like the songs, I own multiple versions of some singles, but only because I'm a record collector and like B sides.

Maybe the Beatles are overated, but so are Rage Against the machine, they just don't have the awards/popularity/chart history which in reality is the only way you can measure how good a group are. With out the Beatles we might not have had RatM, the Beatles are an important part of Rock history, right up there with Ike Turner and Elvis and Johny Ray.

It would have been much better if the campaigne had chosen a Christmas song, and not an obscenity ridden song that isn't likely to be played on most of the BBC (Ken Bruce said this morning that 2 won't play it).

Finally, how do you know this isn't some sort of publicity stunt or record company marketing sceme? Sony owns both songs, sets up a competition so that Xfactor sells more than normal and a song from the back catalouge shoots up in sales. Sony sold a million singles and pushed the highest scoring Christmas song lower, and the highest scoring (Non talent show) current single (In this case lady Gaga I believe) one place lower.