Election Debate
bmseven - 4/5/10 at 08:12 PM

Anybody watch any of them?

See if this one helps you decide
Election Debate Video

Paul TigerB6 - 4/5/10 at 08:17 PM

Proper manifesto here - gets my vote!!

DorsetStrider - 4/5/10 at 08:41 PM

Just slightly off topic... but I've just been watching BBC News 24. And they listed how far Brown, Cameroon and Clegg have travelled today. I beleive Clegg won with 600+ miles.

Let me just make sure I understand this correctly... between them they clock up over 1000 miles in 1 day! in an attempt to get the job. Once in the job you know that no matter who wins they will be telling us to lower our carbon emissions and how green they are.

How did they clock up these miles? Magic Carpet! Am I really the only one that see's the hypocracy in all this?

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 09:51 PM

Vote Labour. quite simply the only option for anyone other than a total toff.

also watched all 3 debates and the jeremy paxman one. i was undecided but from watching hot air cameron on i honestly dont think the tories have any policies what so ever. at least gordon brown gave some very strongly reasoned arguments.

and having met the man when he came to visit us at work i think he believes in what he is doing and i trust him a damn side more than sleezebag cameron.

mookaloid - 4/5/10 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luke_stephenson

also watched all 3 debates and the jeremy paxman one. i was undecided but from watching hot air cameron on i honestly dont think the tories have any policies what so ever. at least gordon brown gave some very strongly reasoned arguments.

and having met the man when he came to visit us at work i think he believes in what he is doing and i trust him a damn side more than sleezebag cameron.

Is this the gordon brown who puts on his badly practiced cheesy grin and who is nice to little old ladies to their faces then calls then bigoted when he thinks the microphone is turned off?

And is this the gordon brown who even one of his own candidates says is the worst prime minister we have ever had?

richardR1 - 4/5/10 at 10:07 PM

The sooner we get that bumbling fool out of number 10 the sooner this country can regain some confidence and get off its knees. And i am as far removed from a toff as you can imagine.

coozer - 4/5/10 at 10:10 PM

Balls with all them, UKIP for me this time... you want change? do the same.

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:13 PM

yes. come on, her comments about immigration were biggot-ish you cant deny that. he did not call her a biggot he said she was biggoted, i.e. her opinions were such that she sounded like one. and dont suggest for one moment they dont all do that.

can you imagine how difficult it must be to restrain yourself when your debating with someone who doesnt know a zillionth of what they are talking about other than media hyp?

speaking of media hyp, that idiot of an mp who said that was clearly just trying to get his 15mins of fame.

you are however entitled to your opinion. if you want to see a return to the crap schools, fire brigade and NHS of the early 90's and the poll tax riots before that, the closing of british industry and the begginings of the privitisation revolution that has left us with next to no british owned firms or utilities. french, spanish, and germans own our gas companies, water companies and phone companies.

i beg you vote tory then. hopefully you will enjoy private health care and are one of the wealthiest land owners in britain and can thus look forward to some handsome inheritance tax breaks. happy days!

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:17 PM

bumbling fool i dont think so. i think people are missing the facts behind the headlines. imigration, immigration immigration they cry- from outside the EU (EU migration can not be limited apart from by UKips policies) was -8000 people last year. (due largely to the points system introduced by labour)

and quite simply, what exactly is all this change cameron talks about, he has said a lot of words in the debates but i challenge anyone to give me a policy he has spoken of? just one please?

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:22 PM

One final point. We are not voting for any of them, we are voting for the parties they represent and i think that is also being forgotten.

too much of this election has been based on personality.

thats it rant over. i am just genuinely worried about a tory government

[Edited on 4/5/10 by luke_stephenson]

bmseven - 4/5/10 at 10:25 PM

Damage limitation exercise - they are all a bunch of knobs it's just a case of which one inflicts the least pain on us "normal folk"

coozer - 4/5/10 at 10:28 PM

Browns full of improvements for this and that, we can limit this, stop that etc etc blah blah blah.....

Why didn't the useless tosser do it before now?

mookaloid - 4/5/10 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Browns full of improvements for this and that, we can limit this, stop that etc etc blah blah blah.....

Why didn't the useless tosser do it before now?

+1

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:39 PM

they have?! the health service has been transformed! my mother and girlfriend both work in the NHS and although not perfect they cant stress enough how much it has improved post 97.

they have built new schools, hospitals and fire stations.

and no matter what the hyp about the economy (a global un preventable disater started in america) Gordon Brown has stayed away from boom and bust, no more crazy inflation or 15% interest rates.

I firmly believe the country is better for the vast majority of people now than in the early 90's. People are voting for change because the papers are telling them to, they are voting because the are bored of the same party. it always happens after the same party has been in power for a while. all the bad parts are highlighted and the good bits hidden away.

i would imagine most people on here are working class if there is such a thing. i served my time as a power station fitter. apprenticeships were virtually killed off under tories. they are out for the rich no two ways about it.

i agree with a lot of lib dems policies, unfortunately they have some crap ones too tho.

for me labour has a credible plan for the future, lib dems never thought they'd get this far. and conservatives have nothing, just hot air and pathetic charms offensive. david cameron makes my stomach turn

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:44 PM

Anyone who is undecided please scrutinise what has happened in the past and ignore most of the papers, labour is the best for normal folk so to speak.

im off to kip.

mookaloid - 4/5/10 at 10:47 PM

quote:
i am just genuinely worried about a tory government

For as long as we have had the labour party, every time they get into power, they win the popular vote by fooling the voters into thinking that everything is great but actually spending all the Country's money and taking us to the brink of financial ruin. Then the Tories get in and have to put the money back. The same should happen now hopefully.

We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now if during the very good economic position that the tories created and this government inherited and benefited from hadn't been squandered by gordon brown. most other countries put money away when times are good so that when times are bad they have money to spend on boosting a recovery - but not gordon oh no he's spent the lot and much much more. We now have the worst balance of payments and debt of any country in the EU except for greece - who are to all intents bankrupt - he has no business running the Country any way - he wasn't even elected

You shouldn't be worried about the tories, but we should all be worried that gordon brown might weasel his way back in again with weasel mandelson who is also an unelected member of the cabinet but who I suspect is really in charge

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:55 PM

Thats right, the tories sold off our north sea oil and privatised all our industries. yeh that put us right on the economic map.

luke_stephenson - 4/5/10 at 10:56 PM

that rap debate is quality. 'come on posh boy, step outside' brilliant

mookaloid - 4/5/10 at 10:58 PM

quote:

???

jlparsons - 4/5/10 at 10:58 PM

personally I'm absolutely tied between them, my local candidates each have policies which make a lot of sense to me along with some which don't, there's no perfect option.

However, I'm voting lib dem purely because I think a true three party system would make for a far more healthy democracy.

bmseven - 4/5/10 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

???

That was where we started but it's all got a bit serious

mookaloid - 4/5/10 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

???

That was where we started but it's all got a bit serious

Ah right sorry

morcus - 4/5/10 at 11:58 PM

This thread has rather been taken over by Labour Propaganda.

That is awesome, If only it were real. TBH, dropping the illest rhymes would more likely win my vote and any of what they're saying.
Gordon said he doesn't like women so maybe Mandy is pulling the strings.
A late entry from Nick Griffins Boss

norfolkluego - 5/5/10 at 12:11 AM

quote:

By the way you owe him 60,000 quid, we all do, even my grandchildren, that's how much of a financial genius that tw*t is
PS. I'm not a toff, total or otherwise

[Edited on 5/5/10 by norfolkluego]

Paul TigerB6 - 5/5/10 at 12:26 AM

quote:
they have?! the health service has been transformed! my mother and girlfriend both work in the NHS and although not perfect they cant stress enough how much it has improved post 97.

they have built new schools, hospitals and fire stations.

Using borrowed money that we'll be paying back for the next 30 years!!! Since Gordon came in, the national debt has grown from about 35% to near 55% of GDP - thats a lot of extra borrowing!! A

Any moron can build a school or hospital using borrowed money - i'd vote for any party who could get some sustainability into the economy though because we sure as heck cant keep borrowing more and more forever or we'll go the way of Greece

02GF74 - 5/5/10 at 02:17 AM

quote:

if you want to see the closing of british industry and the begginings of the privitisation revolution that has left us with next to no british owned firms or utilities. french, spanish, and germans own our gas companies, water companies and phone companies.

hmmm but unless i've been asleep for the last 10 years, under whcih government did the Rover disappear? and Btitish Steel? and Leyland DAF?

and same for who bought Abbey National, TVR, Cadburys.

I am sure there are many other examples.

gottabedone - 5/5/10 at 07:11 AM

That's getting heave boys!......personally I think that their "pledges" before the election should be more like promises. Any fool can make up the junk that we've been listening to for the past number of weeks - the question is whether we will see any of it when Labour or the Conservatives get in. I doubt it but with Labour we will put up with that stupid grin for longer and get poorer (unless you're a rich toff) With the Conservatives, there will inevitably be some pain whilst trying to put right the last 11 years.

Voting for the here and now is a dangerous thing without seeing the long term picture.

Oh and Labour buying Lib Dem votes is just plain wrong whichever way you look at it!

Steve

turbodisplay - 5/5/10 at 07:30 AM

My friends mum works in school that was grant maintained until labour steped in.
It was nationally one of the best schools.
Then the interviews and exams were removed, it is now worse than other schools in the area, let alone nationally.

You right labour are so good! (btw sarcasm )

Darren

55ant - 5/5/10 at 07:38 AM

just putting it out there with regards to national debt, am i right in thinking that although we have bailed out the banks, we are the majority share holders. so, taxing them further and putting limits on their effectivnes by splitting them up etc, or anything that is not beneficial for the company, is not benficial for the share holders, ie- us. we do own something, although alot of money was 'lost', we still have something to sell, unless we rip the banks apart first.

anyway, votings for geeks!

everyone in my area is so far stuck up their own **** we will be torry, its pretty much seen as the trendy thing to do, crazy. 'oh i voted cons as i am rich.' no your not, you just dont want to be shown up by all your ponsy mates whilst buying milk at M&S.

ps im not voting torry,

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 08:36 AM

For anyone that thinks Labour is the party for 'normal' working people - I believe that unemployment is higher now than it was when they came in 13 years ago.

Jon Ison - 5/5/10 at 08:40 AM

I pmsl yesterday, there was a short clip on channel 5 news with Nick Clegg on a walk about (could have been any of them)

Joe public, "your lips are moving, your a politician, your lying"

Me, rofl. anyone else catch it ?

woodster - 5/5/10 at 08:46 AM

quote:
quote:
i am just genuinely worried about a tory government

For as long as we have had the labour party, every time they get into power, they win the popular vote by fooling the voters into thinking that everything is great but actually spending all the Country's money and taking us to the brink of financial ruin. Then the Tories get in and have to put the money back. The same should happen now hopefully.

We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now if during the very good economic position that the tories created and this government inherited and benefited from hadn't been squandered by gordon brown. most other countries put money away when times are good so that when times are bad they have money to spend on boosting a recovery - but not gordon oh no he's spent the lot and much much more. We now have the worst balance of payments and debt of any country in the EU except for greece - who are to all intents bankrupt - he has no business running the Country any way - he wasn't even elected

You shouldn't be worried about the tories, but we should all be worried that gordon brown might weasel his way back in again with weasel mandelson who is also an unelected member of the cabinet but who I suspect is really in charge

well said / ........ i'll be voting tory as always and believe me i'm no toff ...... Labour always tax tax tax and spend spend spend both without thinking ....... also who ever you vote for just make sure you vote remember people have died for you to have that right.

luke_stephenson - 5/5/10 at 08:57 AM

By the way you owe him 60,000 quid, we all do, even my grandchildren, that's how much of a financial genius that tw*t is

that was due to a global financial meltdown. in the first ten years of labour they managed to achieve a budget surplus not mega borrowing. the mega borrowing is largely due to the global crisis that has seen other countries bankrupted!

Also as pointed out, we own half of many of the banks.

when their shares rise again which is pretty much innevitable the government will make and absolute fortune!! the national debt will not look so significant then.

i know what will happen though. tories will come in and when they sell the assets in the banks the government now has they'll herald themselves as the great economic masters.

boggle - 5/5/10 at 09:39 AM

the first one that promises to bring fuel under a pound gets my vote.....

55ant - 5/5/10 at 09:41 AM

quote:

the first one that promises to bring fuel under a pound gets my vote.....

yep, in a flash.

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 01:01 PM

quote:

that was due to a global financial meltdown. in the first ten years of labour they managed to achieve a budget surplus not mega borrowing. the mega borrowing is largely due to the global crisis that has seen other countries bankrupted!

when their shares rise again which is pretty much innevitable the government will make and absolute fortune!! the national debt will not look so significant then.

i know what will happen though. tories will come in and when they sell the assets in the banks the government now has they'll herald themselves as the great economic masters.

I think you are in a minority on here mate

David Jenkins - 5/5/10 at 01:18 PM

I've just been reading the american CNN website - they have a feature on the Monster Raving Loony Party (I'm not sure the yanks quite understand them... )

Apparently, if one of their candidates gets enough votes to keep their deposit then they get chucked out of the party for not being loony enough!

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 01:36 PM

Now that's loony

MikeRJ - 5/5/10 at 01:53 PM

quote:
that was due to a global financial meltdown.

So nothing whatsoever to do with extremely poor decisions made by the current government then? e.g. selling our gold reserves at rock bottom prices?

flak monkey - 5/5/10 at 03:23 PM

I try to stay out of this, and will not be saying who I am voting for - but what the coutry needs at the moment is low interest rates to encourage business growth again and get the housing market back moving (so much is driven by this its unreal).

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that interest rates will rocket under a tory government, as they always do without fail as they continue to look after those with big inheritances in the bank. Hence why I have been in no rush to buy my own place and I think you will find a lot of people are thinking the same.

Most importantly, very importantly, I havent heard one policy from the Tories and no one seems to be able to quote me any credible ones. They dont have a plan and have no idea - Cameron is a completely stuck up public school boy on a charm offensive and a Thatcherite as well (oh how well the country faired under her). And to top it all they have a chancellor with NO idea of economics at all which is most worrying at the current time. They are simply banking on the fact that people are generally fed up with labour after 15years and that they see it a sure bet that they will get the power back tomorrow. What they dont promise with their lack of policies they can then do what they like when they get in without anyone saying that there is more borken promises etc etc.

I guess you now know who I am not going to be voting for, although around this area it'll be a losing battle.

If the Tories get in the country will be in even worse trouble as we will see another dip in the economy which will finish off even more businesses. Dont say I didnt tell you so

David

[Edited on 5/5/10 by flak monkey]

bmseven - 5/5/10 at 03:43 PM

^What he said ^

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I try to stay out of this, and will not be saying who I am voting for - but what the coutry needs at the moment is low interest rates to encourage business growth again and get the housing market back moving (so much is driven by this its unreal).

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that interest rates will rocket under a tory government, as they always do without fail as they continue to look after those with big inheritances in the bank. Hence why I have been in no rush to buy my own place and I think you will find a lot of people are thinking the same.

Most importantly, very importantly, I havent heard one policy from the Tories and no one seems to be able to quote me any credible ones. They dont have a plan and have no idea - Cameron is a completely stuck up public school boy on a charm offensive and a Thatcherite as well (oh how well the country faired under her). And to top it all they have a chancellor with NO idea of economics at all which is most worrying at the current time. They are simply banking on the fact that people are generally fed up with labour after 15years and that they see it a sure bet that they will get the power back tomorrow. What they dont promise with their lack of policies they can then do what they like when they get in without anyone saying that there is more borken promises etc etc.

I guess you now know who I am not going to be voting for, although around this area it'll be a losing battle.

If the Tories get in the country will be in even worse trouble as we will see another dip in the economy which will finish off even more businesses. Dont say I didnt tell you so

David

118 page manifesto here if you want to look

Cheers

Mark

scootz - 5/5/10 at 04:18 PM

I would like to see a stab at full independence for Scotland during my lifetime... so Scottish Nats for me!

Not because I'm anti-this, or anti-that... it's purely because I think there's a better chance of a smaller developed nation being more progressive and also being able to react to the need for change quicker than the confused lumbering behemoth that is the UK.

I'd also like to see us get rid of Trident and stop following the US blindly into ill-conceived crusades. Just think of all those extra deep-fried Mars-Bars, Haggis-Sandwiches, and bottles of Buckfast we could afford with the money saved by those two policies alone! GET -IN!

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 04:21 PM

I don't have a SNP candidate to vote for in Yorkshire

But I wouldn't mind a YNP to vote for (think about it)

gottabedone - 5/5/10 at 04:29 PM

It's interesting hearing the different generations here - those that have been stung by Labour and those that haven't yet.

It was said ^^^^ that we will be worth a fortune when the shares in the banks eventually go up again - do you really think that you'll see any of this money or any benefit - the more Labour have the more they waste
There is so much money squandered in wacky schemes/quango's/specialist advisors etc and yet when faced with spending cuts what has to go? schooling/police and essential services - and some call the Tories posh toffs creating jobs for the boys!

Steve

Badger_McLetcher - 5/5/10 at 05:44 PM

I'd vote for anyone not a politician. The rest are all the same.

[Edited on 5/5/10 by Badger_McLetcher]

Fozzie - 5/5/10 at 05:51 PM

I really don't understand why some think that Tory=Toff .... not so....

Thatcher had a big deficit to try and remedy, there had to be tough, sometimes very tough decisions...just as now, who ever takes over will have the same very tough decisions to make to try and remedy some sort of recovery.....to those who will lose site of the economy during that time, it will not be popular......

But we are a democracy, and we all have a view of we think is right.....
And as said, our fathers and great grandfathers fought 2 World Wars to give us the right to choose......

Fozzie

scootz - 5/5/10 at 05:59 PM

Indeed...

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag

morcus - 5/5/10 at 06:23 PM

I doubt that many people on hear haven't been stung by Labour, it might just be that some don't realise it yet.
Huge areas of Marshland around here have been turned into houses (Much of it by direct order of the Government) and at the same time the government have made it impossible for any one in a working class job to buy a house or get a council house.

Also, I was sold student loans by the government on the Basis that the intrest on them would only be at the base rate, now they've put it up, is that legal?

flak monkey - 5/5/10 at 06:32 PM

Candidates like this who have the full support of Cameron are enough to put me off the Tories, full stop.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/may/04/philippa-stroud-gay-prayer-cure

quote:
Conservative Party leader David Cameron has given his support to a Tory candidate accused of trying to "cure" gay people.

Philippa Stroud, the Conservative candidate likely to win the Sutton and Cheam seat at this week's general election, founded a church that purported to "cure" gay and trans people through exorcising their "demons" through prayer, it was claimed this weekend.

morcus - 5/5/10 at 06:46 PM

Its sad but tolerance isn't a vote winner.

flak monkey - 5/5/10 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Its sad but tolerance isn't a vote winner.

Nope, a lack of decent policies and bullshi7 is coupled with a gullible majority.

flak monkey - 5/5/10 at 06:56 PM

Want a model of modern conservative 'fairer society'?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-welcome-to-cameron-land-1962318.html

quote:
The cost of almost all council services has sky-rocketed, to fund tax cuts that disproportionately benefit the wealthy. David Cameron says he wants to make Britain "the most family-friendly country in the world" with "childcare as a top priority", but his showcase council has increased charges for childcare by a reported 121 per cent – a fact that makes the warnings about Michael Gove's planned "top-up fees" for nursery places seem even more ominous.

Fozzie - 5/5/10 at 08:24 PM

I think we could debate this 'til the cows come home....

However I would like to point out in Flaks link, that the government (labour) capped, and in some cases reduced the amount of money available to some councils, mainly Tory funnily enough!
Thus forcing local cuts to facilities like local hospitals, pensioners free bus rides, closing of local/cottage hospitals, local highways maintenance...it goes on ...Thus making it seem as though it was the local Tory controlled councils that were making these savage cuts or outrageous rises to some 'services'......

Labour government set the local/county council budgets...the local councils had to operate within those constraints.......

As a small business owner, under Labour, business rates have soared and Small Business Reliefs have lessened...not the local councils fault, they act under direction of government.....
This makes it harder for small business's to even think of employing any more staff.....They just can't afford it......

The Labour government had also ordered more 'greenness' as in multiple refuse collections...they set the targets, the local councils, whether or not they are Labour, Tory or Lib Dem still have to comply within their allocated Labour government defined budgets.......all of these 'extra' collections, whilst being in the main, sensible, still have to be paid for.....with no extra money being allocated from government for doing this....

Take the area I live in, it is policed by Surrey Police. A couple of years ago, the Surrey Police boundary was changed to incorporate some Metropolitan Police boundaries, for example, Molesey, Esher, Epsom, Staines to name a few.....

The budget for Surrey Police did not rise, not even to allow for the extra area for personnel or the running of extra police stations......

The county council (Tory) have been selling off school playing fields, despite an ever growing local population........under whose orders?......Labour government.
Who gets the blame from the man in the street? The Tory county council.....ggrrrrr

Not the local councils fault.....it was decided by the Labour government, but left to the local and county council (both Tory) to try and juggle the books....so cuts have to be made to pay for it.

Who gets the blame? surprise surprise, the local and county council......

Who should get the blame?....
The Government who set/capped the local council/county council budget.......Labour.....grrrrrrrr

Not everything seen or read is always as it seems on the surface...scratch a little bit and you may find a different story.

Fozzie .....who wishes that there was a stronger local UKIP candidate.....

flak monkey - 5/5/10 at 08:38 PM

Oh I agree, each to their own

Thats the whole point of havin a choice at the end of the day. I still stand by the 'dont say I didnt tell you so' comment though.

I only have genuine problems with some parties, but I wont name them as its will probably offend the wrong people....

Paul TigerB6 - 5/5/10 at 08:39 PM

quote:

errrmmmmm actually no they wont!! There's so many "extra" shares out there these days that were released to try and raise funds, plus with all the extra regulation etc - bank shares will never have the same attraction as they used to.

The government would probably be better off retaining many of the shares but they wont - at least Labour wouldnt. Gordon Brown - the economic genius........... well if you want to see just how much of a genius the guy is then just do some research into his selling of the majority of our gold reserves to fund Labour spending. Then you'll see just how clever he really is!!

for starters

morcus - 5/5/10 at 11:00 PM

Anyone else really looking forward to tommorrow so that we can stop talking about this?

Fozzie - 5/5/10 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Anyone else really looking forward to tommorrow so that we can stop talking about this?

Yes......

franky - 6/5/10 at 06:23 AM

Going back to the election debates, didn't you think the BBC one looked great? So did question time after.... however i'm biased as they were my pictures