Board logo

farewell mate
theconrodkid - 1/10/10 at 09:01 AM

i have just come back from the vet,s having had my dog Bill put down.
those of you that have met him will know who i mean.
i walked through the door to an empty and quiet house,his bowl still on the kitchen food with his uneaten breakfast.
i burst into tears.
sorry but i had to share my pain.
R.I.P. mate

jollygreengiant - 1/10/10 at 09:03 AM

Sad days mate.

I. P. E. S.

dan8400 - 1/10/10 at 09:04 AM

I used to think people were crazy getting so attached to pets and getting emotional until i lost my own dog. She was great, and you dont realise how much of a part of the family they are.

So, i share your pain.... RIP Bill

Dan

SeanStone - 1/10/10 at 09:05 AM

it's not easy. i've had 2 german shephards put doqn. one was 9 and had lung cancer, the other was 5 and was severly epileptic and nearly siezured to death.

the best cure is a new one!

emsfactory - 1/10/10 at 09:17 AM

I have been there too. It is not nice. It took me ages to get over the last one.
My sympathies.

mangogrooveworkshop - 1/10/10 at 09:20 AM

he was a cracking fella..sorry that his time has come.

balidey - 1/10/10 at 09:23 AM

Sorry to hear that.

Advise often given is to get another dog straight away. Thats what my family did and we think it did help.

mikeb - 1/10/10 at 09:32 AM

All the best mate, after my wife and daughter moved out my dog is the only thing left waiting for me at the end of the day! I feel your pain on loosing him, very sad.

Jasper - 1/10/10 at 09:34 AM

Mate, I am really sorry to hear that, I know how much Bill meant to you, he will be greatly missed I'm sure .... he was a great dog .... as they all are.

Get yourself down to Battersea or your local pet rescue place, it's the best cure for the pain.

Fozzie - 1/10/10 at 09:45 AM

Oh John ....I am so very, very sorry ....

Thank you for bringing him over to see me when Jo was over a few weeks ago ....

I will forever remember him on that day sitting on my lawn .... (and 'watering' my flowers for me .... ).

DLT and I feel your pain .... lots of love and hugs to you...

RIP Billik
Fozzie

jabbahutt - 1/10/10 at 09:46 AM

Truly gutted for you. Anyone whose been in that situation will understand your pain.

I don't mind admitting being in floods of tears when that sad time came and being given a big hug when leaving the vets a little old lady taking her pup for her first injections.

Not an easy time, my sincere condolences for your loss.

Peteff - 1/10/10 at 09:51 AM

We had our old collie 18 years and it broke my heart when she had to go due to a stroke a few years ago. We couldn't face doing it again so now dogless but it's hard not to give in to another sometimes. Sympathy here John.

shortie - 1/10/10 at 09:52 AM

John, so sorry mate, always love to see him with you. He was a great dog.

Rich.

MikeR - 1/10/10 at 10:29 AM

One of the things i'm most scared of is when i've got to face this sad day with mine.

Really sorry for your loss.

scootz - 1/10/10 at 10:35 AM

Awwww... really feel for you! Our oldest is at that stage when you know it's just a matter of time. She's really struggling with arthritis and every step looks like it hurts like hell. But her tail still wags like a windmill and she loves her food and cuddles, so we'll keep going for a wee while yet. I guess she'll let us know when she's had enough.

Always remember that you did the kindest thing for him... it's a real shame that we can't extend that same kindness to our fellow humans when life starts to get too tough for them!

Time to start puppy-hunting... get raking around the rescue centre's and find a poor wee chappie that needs your love!

bbwales - 1/10/10 at 10:42 AM

Feel for you John, my deepest condolances to you, I felt the same when I had to put my Lab down his back legs went, what added to the hurt our other dog pined for him and within 3 weeks he had to be put down as well. Never forget my grandaughter calling me a murderer, which really helped...NOT!!!!!

Bob

pinto - 1/10/10 at 10:46 AM

No how you feel john (had to go though this twice never gets easier )
Only meet bill a couple of times loverly chap
Colin

Confused but excited. - 1/10/10 at 10:47 AM

So sorry to hear that mate. You must be gutted.
They make better company than most people.
I felt like I had lost one of the kids when mine went.

trextr7monkey - 1/10/10 at 10:56 AM

The end of an era- whenever we see your posts my sonrecognises the user name as" the man with the dog who we met at Stoneleigh- we onlyknew it was you by the avatar pic of the dog.
We are on the second family dog now - first one grew up with kids and the second one came to help teenage daughter recover froma serious op, well and truly part of the family.
Get another one!
atb
mike and sam

Richard Quinn - 1/10/10 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
So sorry to hear that mate. You must be gutted.
They make better company than most people.
I felt like I had lost one of the kids when mine went.

Well, there is that saying "the more people I meet, the more I like my dog!"

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's a really tough thing to have to do but it is usually the kindest option.

SeaBass - 1/10/10 at 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear that. I remember the day the Labrador I grew up with had to be put to sleep... very sad indeed.She had great fun with us.

JC

Ivan - 1/10/10 at 11:10 AM

Sincere sympathy - anyone who has lost a canine friend must feel your pain

MikeRJ - 1/10/10 at 11:12 AM

I really feel for you, we had a dog and a cat put down on the same day a few years back and I had such a lump in my throat I couldn't even speak to the vet. Feeling quite emotional just thinking about it to be honest.

It's the crap side of the contract that comes with owning a pet, but at the end of the day you know your dog is no longer suffering.

ashg - 1/10/10 at 11:37 AM

really feel for you mate. mine is 7 now and we have made a pact that she has to live forever. i really hope she doesn't let me down or i wont have anyone to hide my spanners when im under the car.

BenB - 1/10/10 at 11:44 AM

That sucks I can understand why the bowl set you off.

Time for a trip to Battersea Dogs home me thinks- it's their 150th anniversary tomorrow! Getting adopted would cheer up a sad little doggy and perhaps ease your pain too

carpmart - 1/10/10 at 11:56 AM

I would have had no clue what you were feeling except for getting a dog 20 months back. She is the best thing in my life after the wife and kids!

Gutted for you!

ReMan - 1/10/10 at 12:03 PM

Very Sorry, Mrs will be too

Col

PAUL FISHER - 1/10/10 at 12:05 PM

Anyone who's lost a dog will know your pain, but as said above get another one as soon as you can, you will never replace him, but it does help

Humbug - 1/10/10 at 12:12 PM

Sorry for you, John... never had dogs myself, but have had the same situation with cats. When one of them went, we burned her basket in a Viking-style funeral on the drive.

See you at Newlands sometime.

Simon

se7en - 1/10/10 at 12:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Away back in 1995, my daughter tortured us to get her a hamster or the like, but I insisted that she was not having one. I did say that she could have a dog if she wanted. We spent almost 2 years looking for a Westie for her and eventually got one. She took that dog everywhere with her even when she moved house.

Last November she was getting married so she came back home along with her dog. She was at home for almost a week before her wedding. On the morning of her wedding the missus went down to the kennel to check on the dogs and the Westie was dead. We could not tell her or there may have been no wedding. (She dumped her boyfriend 5 years earlier because he criticised her dog).

We had to hold back telling her until she came back from her honeymoon and when we did tell her she broke down and cried for almost 3 days. We buried the Westie in the garden but she has refused to go and see where he was buried.

People who do not have dogs think that those who do are mad about attached to their pets. It is just one of those things; it comes into your life and becomes part of your daily routine. So when they pass away it is like its happened to a member of the family.

Go out and get another one - I know that it will never replace Bill but it will help keep your mind on something else.

Regards
Tom

40inches - 1/10/10 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by se7en

People who do not have dogs think that those who do are mad about attached to their pets. It is just one of those things; it comes into your life and becomes part of your daily routine. So when they pass away it is like its happened to a member of the family.

Absolutely, I am dreading the day

locogeoff - 1/10/10 at 12:37 PM

My condolences to you. I think I'll appreciate walking the locomut tonight just that wee bit more after hearing your news.

Sincerest regards

Geoff

dhutch - 1/10/10 at 12:43 PM

Not much fun is it, even if the best thing for them.

We lost our last dog 6 years ago and i'll happy hold my hand up for letting out some tears, including one partaurly bad day the following week, in front of my head of 6th form.

Are you planning get another dog in the new future? We're currently still without hound although it get mentioned from time to time.

Daniel

TimC - 1/10/10 at 01:40 PM

Terribly sad news - I had to rush a neighbour and dog to the vet last week as he'd (the dog) had a really nasty stroke - same sad result. I barely knew the animal and it almost broke my heart.

I'm not sure where you are located, although suspect possible South East, but my folks' lovely dog came from www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue - I can barely look as its so sad to see all those dogs without homes. "Quirky" is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen. Anyway, they do great work and come recommended.

theconrodkid - 1/10/10 at 03:12 PM

i am really touched by your replies folks and a big thanks to all of you that have u2u,d me with messages of support.
yes i would love to get another but it wouldn't be kind spending most of the day home alone.
again...thanks

gottabedone - 1/10/10 at 04:08 PM

Your house will be too quiet without him
I have two Mountain dogs and when we lost one two years ago at Christmas (got sick very quickly at 6 years old) our second one was depressed and got sick so we nearly lost her too

There is pain but remember him for what he was (even the hairy muddy slobbery and embarrassing moments) because their all special!! - Don't be embarrassed by the tears as we've all been there

Steve

robocog - 1/10/10 at 05:28 PM

John, I cannot add anything that others haven't already said and can only pass on our deepest sympathy as we both know too well what your going through

Rob and Fizz

gazzarose - 1/10/10 at 06:48 PM

Sorry for your loss mate. Me and the missus bought a house together nearly 2 years ago, and having moved out from my parents house and not seeing the dog everyday was strange, we talked about getting a puppy but kept putting it off, until my brithday last July, I strangley had a day off mid week and found a jack russel locally that was ready to be picked up, went and saw her and fell in love, just after we had her we watched Marley and Me, that I had been told was a comedy... was it hell, both me and the missus were blubbing at the end. Any non dog owners you say that to look at you strange. Im dreading the inevitable days, I just hope the memories of the good times cancel out the bad day.

Get another one when your ready mate. I was talking with my gran about this the other day, she was devasted when her last dog died, but my gramp wanted another to protect his pigeons. She said she was worried what her old dog would be thinking looking down at her with a new dog, but in the end she settled on hoping that her old dog brought her som much happiness that only another dog could fill the hole left. She got another one a month or so later, and hes a little sod, completely different to her last one, but she loves him all the same. Just remember that if a get a another that your getting a new one and not a replacement one. Sometimes tho they choose you and it just happens, when my parents first dog dies, my mother swore she wouldn't have another, until my dad came home with a 2yr old who he rescued from a friend of a friend who couldn't cope. The look on my mothers face when he came bounding out of the kitchen when she came home was priceless and something that I'll never forget.

Sorry for the long post, just got carried way telling the stories.

Chin up mate

Gareth

perksy - 1/10/10 at 07:03 PM

Very Sorry to hear this

They start off as Pets and then become members of our family and Best Mates

We had to have one of out cats put to sleep after He lost his battle with cancer
and i'm not ashamed to admit it broke me heart

Still miss him now

steve m - 1/10/10 at 07:19 PM

Conrod mate, thanks for posting this,

It is quite unbelievable how losing a "pet" can be so devastating,
when the kids were young we had the hamsters, gerbills, dog, and even fish, etc

yet i can still remember the tears and grief when one of them moved on

some were mine!

nick205 - 1/10/10 at 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear that John - always a hard time after losing a dog. They just become part of the family don't they.

NigeEss - 3/10/10 at 09:10 AM

Deepest sympathies John. The loss of a canine friend hurts.

lotusmadandy - 3/10/10 at 09:13 AM

Been there and done that twice,so i
know how sad you feel.
My thoughts and sympathy are with
you mate

Andy