Board logo

Any tips on curing creaky floorboards?
Thinking about it - 10/10/10 at 09:48 PM

I have the carpet up in the bedroom awaiting the fitting of a new one later in the week.
I have a few creaky floorboards which I think have dried out due to central heating pipes beneath. Any nails have been hammered and screws tightened. But still creaking.
Any tips to help short of replacing them?

corrado vr6 - 10/10/10 at 09:54 PM

Little bit of glue on the offending boards and make sure theres no tight joints that are still moving and rubbing together, perhaps if theres any boards that are only nailed and still creak after being pin punched tighter replace with screws

Richard Quinn - 10/10/10 at 09:58 PM

Never tried it but I'm sure that I read somewhere about brushing talcum powder into all the joints.

Thinking about it - 10/10/10 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Never tried it but I'm sure that I read somewhere about brushing talcum powder into all the joints.

Should be ok then. My wife will be throwing the talc about on the floorboards this week with no carpet so we will see.

slingshot2000 - 10/10/10 at 10:23 PM

Lift any boards that you can see or feel have all-ready been up. Use a nice soft brush to clean off any dust from the tops of the joists that boards are sat on, remove all old saw dust and any other debris that lazy plumbers may have left behind. When re-fastening down, make sure you dont nail/screw through any cables in joists. (You dont have to worry about nailing pipes, plumbers will have made them an easy target for you!)!

Jomibo - 11/10/10 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn

Ive heard of using talc before, never tried it though

steve m - 11/10/10 at 08:04 AM

Talc does work, but not for long !!

I had the same problem with our stairs,
so when the carpet was off , i glued, screwed everything together, and was all tight as drum

Carpet went down , and was fine for a few years, but they do creak now

adithorp - 11/10/10 at 09:52 AM

Go on a diet.

Steve Hignett - 11/10/10 at 09:54 AM

WD40?

adithorp - 11/10/10 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
WD40?

I was going to say something about the smell of lube in the bedroom... but you'd probably jump to conclusions!

adrian

Ninehigh - 11/10/10 at 07:33 PM

Talc works, although our entire upstairs creaks so it either doesn't work for long or it was somewhere else I tried it. Thinking about it, it might have been parent's bathroom...

David Jenkins - 11/10/10 at 08:24 PM

Just call it a security device...

Nightingale floor