Board logo

New phone or contract?
coozer - 13/10/10 at 05:36 PM

While everyone is asking about phones here's mine!

I fancy a blackberry but don't want to pay £25 a month.

Most contracts to get the phone free are 24 months so I was thinking about getting a sim card off O2, they were offering one for £5 a month with 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb internet.

So, I'm thinking of buying the phone then paying £5 a month, this seems cheaper to me but is there any catch?

jos - 13/10/10 at 05:39 PM

The £5 a month calling plan may not include data, which you will need to fully exploit the BB. You should be able to get data added for around £5.00 per month which should still see you saving money over 12/18 months compared to getting it free on a higher rate per month contract

stevebubs - 13/10/10 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jos
The £5 a month calling plan may not include data, which you will need to fully exploit the BB. You should be able to get data added for around £5.00 per month which should still see you saving money over 12/18 months compared to getting it free on a higher rate per month contract

Ahem...it's normally £5/month for the data tariff, then another £5/month for the hosted blackberry service.

You need both to make full use of a blackberry....I'm 90% certain the email functionality is missing until the blackberry service is enabled....

[Edited on 13/10/10 by stevebubs]

McLannahan - 13/10/10 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by jos

Ahem...it's normally £5/month for the data tariff, then another £5/month for the hosted blackberry service.

You need both to make full use of a blackberry....I'm 90% certain the email functionality is missing until the blackberry service is enabled....

[Edited on 13/10/10 by stevebubs]

Steve is correct sadly - you need to pay for a Blackberry data plan for it to work properly as a Blackberry.

Internet will work but only as part of a data bundle - Blackberry plans normally include unlimited Internet access.

Email won't work although you could check it via webmail. Not very elegant or handy but possible.

You used to be able to get a pay once BB - A one off fee for the year but it was quite expensive.

To be honest - having had quite a few BB's now and often one's with no BB service as contracts switch over etc...They're not good phones or devices without the BB service.

britishtrident - 13/10/10 at 06:42 PM

With O2 you a real bargain is if you take O2 broadband landline as well.

austin man - 13/10/10 at 07:02 PM

I think carphone warehouse do a £15 a month deal on the blackberry depends which one you want I have the curve and quite impressed no flash though

lotusmadandy - 14/10/10 at 09:56 AM

DONT go with 02,

they might just stiff you the way they have just stiffed me

After 8 loyal years it seems the customer is always wrong.

This is of course just my very bitter opinion.
Andy

[Edited on 14/10/10 by lotusmadandy]