Board logo

Removable Skirting
stevebubs - 6/2/11 at 11:37 AM

Of the wooden variety not female, I'm afraid.

Just laying new laminate and have removed the skirting boards as it appears cheaper to buy new skirting than buy edging.

Question: what is the best way to make the skirting boards removable so that, should I need to remove it, it's an easy job?

was thinking of just screwing it but not sure how to make the screws look neat...

stevebubs - 6/2/11 at 11:42 AM

I should add that the skirting boards will be stained not painted...

designer - 6/2/11 at 11:53 AM

Brass screws with a brass cup washer is what I used when I made a pine bed.

adam1985 - 6/2/11 at 11:57 AM

I nailed and a bit of no more nails on mine then stained. They came off no problem when i needed to fit my laminate.

Richard Quinn - 6/2/11 at 02:14 PM

I've just put new trim round the lounge. I just used very small pins and knocked them in a bit with a punch. I got a wax based (I think!) repair kit that allows you to get a pretty good colour match just by forcing a bit into the hole and scraping off the excess. I would stick with nails on skirting. It will still come off easy enough.

britishtrident - 6/2/11 at 02:33 PM

Looked into this a couple of years back you can buy clip on skirting but it is expensive - istr B&Q had it on their website. If anybody knows a suitable cheaper source I would be interested.

I also have been thinking of changing the skirting boards in our dining room to tiles same as you find in dome parts of souther europe.

MikeR - 6/2/11 at 05:02 PM

I got from Aldi some drills that do what you want. They drill the wood and leave you with a hole (like hole saws) but its tiny. You then drill the wood for a screw, and then drill it again to make a larger hole thats the right size for your plug.

You can then screw the skirting in place and cover it with the 'plug'. If you buy too much skirting the plug can be from the same bit of wood (just the very end) so it all matches.

owelly - 6/2/11 at 05:11 PM

I deiberated the idea of having removable skirting boards but coudn't think of a reason to take them off again!!

gazzarose - 6/2/11 at 05:45 PM

Im just doing my kitchen, in a monochrome with a bit of stainless style, with all the white things (doors, skirtings) glossy. Im using mirror screws to attach them to the walls, obviously chrome studs on yours would look silly, but I wonder can you get similar things but with wooden heads.

Gareth

MikeRJ - 6/2/11 at 10:13 PM

Velcro! Or Dzus fasteners for the racing look

I thought about this when I put wooden flooring in, but didn't bother in the end. Had a plan to rout a shallow groove down the skirting and then make a hardwood insert to fit. The screw heads to hold the skirting would be under the insert.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by MikeRJ]

stevebubs - 7/2/11 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I got from Aldi some drills that do what you want. They drill the wood and leave you with a hole (like hole saws) but its tiny. You then drill the wood for a screw, and then drill it again to make a larger hole thats the right size for your plug.

You can then screw the skirting in place and cover it with the 'plug'. If you buy too much skirting the plug can be from the same bit of wood (just the very end) so it all matches.

This sounds like just the thing I need....any links or product names?

rgrs - 7/2/11 at 06:12 PM

try :http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht367-8pc- drill-plug-cutter-set

that should do the job

Roger

MikeR - 7/2/11 at 06:21 PM

that looks just like the thing i got from Aldi.

I've never tried to use mine - i'm a sucker for an extra tool to store in the garage.