Board logo

Anyones ever soray painted doors?
gazzarose - 5/3/11 at 04:33 PM

Hi guys,

Im just coming to the end of my kitchen rebuild, and its time for skirtings/doors. I hate painting with a passion and hate brush marks and gloss paint even more, so I bought plastic coated satin skirtings from wickes that Im spraying gloss white to match the units, but now it leaves the doors. They're brand new pine panel doors and I wouldn't mind spraying them. I've got a compressor and a couple of sray guns in work, but I've never sprayed wood so any tips. Im not after a glossy finish, just an even doory(?) kind of finish similar to the finish you get on moulded doors. What primer paint do I need and do I need to thin it down?

Any help and advice would be great.

Regards

Gareth

macc man - 5/3/11 at 05:38 PM

Depends on paint finish required but with a compressor you would be best with a high volume low pressure set up.
You can alternatively buy a cheap electric one from Aldi. Biggest problem when spaying paint with long drying time is runs. Keep
doors flat and dont spray too thick a coat. I got a good finish with a roller and good brush on my pine doors. Good luck.

austin man - 5/3/11 at 05:39 PM

If the doors are real wood you would need to sand / key the surface apply primer I would go for an oil based as you will need to thin it down with white spirit or turps depends on manafacturer warm it slighlty and spray and leave in a warm area. same again for the top coat don't use no drip varieties as they do not thin the same and not realy designed to be thinned. I would go for a maximum of 40% thinning agent. All tests on the insides of the doors before you go for the side on view. Keep a cloth and turps handy to remove any problems

You could test with car based paints too but you will end up with a shiny finish

deltron63 - 5/3/11 at 06:00 PM

I sprayed ours with 2k car paint. Everyone thought we bought a new kitchen

gazzarose - 5/3/11 at 06:40 PM

Its the room doors Im painting by the way in case of confusion.

Can I use this paint? paint. Do I need a primer? Alot of the primers seem to say water based. I can have a practise with it on some old plywood and see what coverage and finish I get. So if I give it a sand over with 240 ish paper will I be good to go.

Gareth