Board logo

Pastor Maldonardo
Mark Allanson - 27/8/11 at 01:29 PM

What should his punishment be?

lewis - 27/8/11 at 01:32 PM

What a complete tool this guy is on the cool down lap! Race ban for sure!!

phoenix70 - 27/8/11 at 01:34 PM

Not a Hamilton fan but I would have to agree, come down on Pastor hard to make a point, race ban!

[Edited on 27/8/11 by phoenix70]

britishtrident - 27/8/11 at 01:38 PM

Yeah send him home ---- don't even allow him in the pit & paddock area, also refer him to the FIA to let them consider more sever punishment.

T66 - 27/8/11 at 01:49 PM

And give me his motorhome when he is binned.....

RK - 27/8/11 at 02:17 PM

OK, for those of us in the back, what 'appened?

Mark Allanson - 27/8/11 at 02:22 PM

Maldonado deliberately crashed into Lewis Hamilton on an in lap after Hamilton squeezed by him when both were on a hot lap.

Wheels244 - 27/8/11 at 03:11 PM

Just because I'm a big Lewis fan - 2 race ban.

jollygreengiant - 27/8/11 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
OK, for those of us in the back, what 'appened?

End of Q2, Maldonardo on the tail end of a line of three cars all trying for a hot lap approaching the last corner. Lewis is coming up very quick behind on a VERY hot lap setting purples everywhere, Maldonardo takes a very wide entry into the last and hamilton slips it up the inside (he was possibly held up by the three infront) and forces Maldonardo wide(r). After the finish line (Q2 ended about 2 seconds before the first of them crossed the line) they go round the first corner and Maldonardo comes charging up behind Lewis (who started to move right but saw Maldonardo and jigged left again) then up beside Lewis, who was still moving slightly left. Then Maldonardo took a hefty move to the left contacting with Lewis, demolishing his front wing, badly damaging his offside side pod and giving considerable sideways loads into the offside front and rear suspension.

[Edited on 27/8/11 by jollygreengiant]

CRAIGR - 27/8/11 at 04:17 PM

Give him a medal i say.

Rob3 - 27/8/11 at 04:29 PM

5 Place grid penalty!

Autosport Link

Seems a little.... light!

david_hornet27 - 27/8/11 at 04:31 PM

This explanation is a load of bo11ocks to anyone that saw it, how was Lewis at fault?????????

When asked by AUTOSPORT whether the second move had been deliberate retaliation, the Williams driver said: "No. It was a big moment.

"I tried to overtake him because he slowed down quite a lot. It's like a straight, but there's a turn and maybe at that moment he was turning and I was a bit straight. It's difficult to say.

"There was not any reason for both drivers to do anything after the chequered flag. It's clear that there was a mistake on both sides.

Maldonado added that he had not spoken to Hamilton about either incident and that he was comfortable with what had happened initially at the chicane as there was "no contact".

Hamilton was given a reprimand but receives no penalty. The stewards said both drivers were guilty of "causing a collision" and were punished under article 16.1 of the regulations.

CRAIGR - 27/8/11 at 04:37 PM

Not seen the incident but there seems to be a fair few comments like this one online

After listening to the BBC I though it was totally­ Maldonado fault and he was being totally­ dangerous......
After watching the event I have a­ totally different perspective.

Hamilton is ahead of­ Maldonado and weaving at him as they exchange words.­ After scaring Maldonado and forcing him to break­ Maldonado does the same to Hamilton but Hamilton­ doesn't break and they collide!
Yes punish­ Maldonado but ... Hamilton too deserves to be punished­ for the incident .

Six of One, Half a Dozen of the­ other!

[Edited on 27/8/11 by CRAIGR]

david_hornet27 - 27/8/11 at 04:51 PM

That sounds like the first incident rather than the second...

Looked like Hamilton was driving well over to the left of the track and cruising, then was swiped deliberately.

Anyway more importantly Jensen is way down in 13th Hopefully the weather will be changeable tomorrow and we will see a repeat of Canada.

russbost - 27/8/11 at 04:55 PM

Lewis couldn't have gone any further left to avoid Maldonardo without putting himself on the grass - what utter boll*cks, but absolutely typical of the blinkered & biased stewards!

Wheels244 - 27/8/11 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Lewis couldn't have gone any further left to avoid Maldonardo without putting himself on the grass - what utter boll*cks, but absolutely typical of the blinkered & biased stewards!

+1

loggyboy - 27/8/11 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Hamilton is ahead of­ Maldonado and weaving at him as they exchange words.­ After scaring Maldonado and forcing him to break­ Maldonado does the same to Hamilton but Hamilton­ doesn't break and they collide!
Yes punish­ Maldonado but ... Hamilton too deserves to be punished­ for the incident .

No idea what session you were watching but must have been different to the one I saw.

Bearing in mind this is after the session has ended so no need for any close racing or braking, PM moves out from behind LH (PM even weaving slightly as it was wet off line, so obviously on a mission) proceeds passed LH then holds a straight line where the track curves forcing LH in to the side of him.

I can understand that PM may have been annoyed at LH for passing him on the last bend, but he was on a crap lap anyway, and LH was about to set pole (that would be come 2nd). EIther way there is no excuse for retaliation on track so 100% PM fault and should not be racing tomorrow IMO.

I can only assume LH reprimand is for the overtake on PM (could be considered aggresive) but as PM said, there was no contact, so must have been a clean move.

CRAIGR - 27/8/11 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR

No idea what session you were watching but must have been different to the one I saw.

Please read top of post which states "Not seen the incident but there seems to be a fair few comments like this one online "

loggyboy - 27/8/11 at 05:33 PM

[qoute]Please read top of post which states "Not seen the incident but there seems to be a fair few comments like this one online "

Maybe you read the fact he has edited and added the line: 'After watching the event I have a­ totally different perspective.'

CRAIGR - 27/8/11 at 05:39 PM

Qoute as read
After listening to the BBC I though it was totally­ Maldonado fault and he was being totally­ dangerous......
After watching the event I have a­ totally different perspective.

Six of One, Half a Dozen of the­ other!

The guys conclusion remains.

Johneturbo - 27/8/11 at 05:40 PM

Not sure how anyone can comment on something they've not seen!

The main thing is it should be an epic race with the top 3 next to eachother on the grid

Anyone else think DohResta had a bit of a monk on in the post qually interview!

[Edited on 27/8/11 by Johneturbo]

Mark Allanson - 27/8/11 at 06:02 PM

Disgraceful level of stewarding in F1 as usual

metro6r4 - 27/8/11 at 06:52 PM

Give him a medal i say.

+1

Paul (Notts) - 27/8/11 at 07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm1M5kcGZ0

mrwibble - 27/8/11 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
Give him a medal i say.

+1

for being totally unaware and dangerous? don't care what your beef with LH is, that was sh*tty driving

[Edited on 27/8/11 by mrwibble]

david_hornet27 - 27/8/11 at 09:03 PM

Can someone explain to me why there is so much anti-Hamilton feeling on here? I much prefer Jensen but have nothing against Lewis and you cannot deny (some silly mistakes aside) he is a talented young driver.

Johneturbo - 27/8/11 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by david_hornet27
Can someone explain to me why there is so much anti-Hamilton feeling on here? I much prefer Jensen but have nothing against Lewis and you cannot deny (some silly mistakes aside) he is a talented young driver.

I'm a Lewis fan. i've never known another british driver have so much negative support.. i wonder what's so different about Lewis Hmmmm

Wheels244 - 27/8/11 at 09:46 PM

I don't get it either - it was him that rekindled my interest in F1.
An awesome, natural talent.

britishtrident - 27/8/11 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:

I'm a Lewis fan. i've never known another british driver have so much negative support.. i wonder what's so different about Lewis Hmmmm

What about Damon Hill --- he never got much support and was shamefully treated by his team.

Up here in Glasgow in the local parlance the mega talented but incident prone Lewis would be told to "Screw the heed" for those from more lingually deprived parts of the English speaking world and don't Parliamo Glasgow this translates as "I say, calm down old chap and keep your head".

James - 27/8/11 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:

Massive Mclaren and Lewis fan myself and I've never understood it either but I do have a suspicion it may, in part, be for the reasons at which you hint.

People treat Senna like he was some sort of God but I think it's fair to say he made some pretty controversial decisions on track during his career!

Maybe we'll get to see Lewis use his Karate black belt to settle it with Maldonado!

Cheers,
James

karlak - 28/8/11 at 08:59 AM

If it is true that he has only been penalised 5 places or so - then what precident has that set?

Last race of the season and the two front runners in the championship are 5 points apart. How about the second placed drivers team mate taking a side-swipe at the leader ? Wreck his car put him out of final qulaifying -- is that OK ?

In my opinion Maldonardo should be banned for the rest of this season and personally be made to pay for any damage to the Mclaren. If he has an issue with Hamilton and the last chicane incident, then that is for the Stewards to sort out. Would have also helped if he was not parked in the middle of the chicane, neither on or offline !!

You can't allow this to happen, it is not a race incident and was completely intentional. I dont care who hit who or who was to blame, no favouritsim. But, you cannot allow them to start "ramming" each other.

scootz - 28/8/11 at 09:13 AM

I was really looking forward to LH coming into F1. But soon after arriving he became too much of a Billy-Big-Balls character and he's only got worse. His "is it because I'm black" comment was the final straw for me. I can still appreciate his skills, but I've little time for the man (sorry... boy!). He has a long way to go to repair the damage he's caused in the last few seasons. I hope he pulls it of and becomes a great, but until then, he'll not get much support from me. It's Button and Di Resta that I'm rooting for!

And lets be honest... DC hardly got any support south of the border. He was constantly denigrated despite being one of the top 4 drivers on the planet for 6 years or so.

designer - 28/8/11 at 11:30 AM

quote:

People treat Senna like he was some sort of God but I think it's fair to say he made some pretty controversial decisions on track during his career!

Yes, Senna is revered, but he had it all. He raced, he was mischeivous, he was curteous all the time, gave time, and millions, to charity, had a magnetic personality, and was the GOAT of modern times, never to be seen again.

Nobody today and I'm afraid to say, never again, wil his sort be seen. The PR/marketing crowd will not let it!

scootz - 28/8/11 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

Yes, Senna is revered, but he had it all. He raced, he was mischeivous, he was curteous all the time, gave time, and millions, to charity, had a magnetic personality, and was the GOAT of modern times, never to be seen again.

Nobody today and I'm afraid to say, never again, wil his sort be seen. The PR/marketing crowd will not let it!

Yup!

locogeoff - 28/8/11 at 12:08 PM

I agree with the stewards decision.

I also think this is an early example of new drivers not taking any sh1t from Hamilton, he's very quickly gained a Senna/Schumacer reputation of give way or have an accdent, and I think more and more people with the belief of incredible car safety are going to choose the accident option.

locogeoff - 28/8/11 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff

I also think this is an early example of new drivers not taking any sh1t from Hamilton, he's very quickly gained a Senna/Schumacer reputation of give way or have an accdent, and I think more and more people with the belief of incredible car safety are going to choose the accident option.

Watching the race, I rest my case ;-)

scootz - 28/8/11 at 12:51 PM

Also agreed!

loggyboy - 28/8/11 at 04:57 PM

quote:
quote:

Watching the race, I rest my case ;-)

Really - stewards saw it as a racing accident, which I largely agree. Allthough im no HUGE LH fan, im a fan none the less but the accident with Kobiashiwas nothing to do with him going for a half move or a 'get out my way or crash' maneuver, it was more Kobi than his fault IMO.

scootz - 28/8/11 at 05:01 PM

I'd agree with the majority... LH should have been looking in his mirrors!

britishtrident - 28/8/11 at 05:06 PM

quote:
quote:

From day one thought Senna was a a conniving little s***, amazing that Bruno Senna is such a nice guy.

Kwik - 28/8/11 at 05:08 PM

if he looked in his mirrors when the incident happend then he would have had to been looking in his mirrors mid way through the corner. they crashed just as LH started to turn his wheel, so if he was looking in his mirrors he wouldnt be able to see where to go...

though i would agree if the incident happend 50 yards back

scootz - 28/8/11 at 05:22 PM

I don't see it that way... KK was slipstreaming LH for a good distance and LH should have seen it coming!

KK was almost level with LH BEFORE the entry to the corner. Are you telling me that LH wasn't able to see the slipstreaming and the move to his nearside?

Clip Linky

spiderman - 28/8/11 at 05:26 PM

Yet another driver smashes into Lewis Hamilton.
What is the Common denominator?

norfolkluego - 28/8/11 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
quote:

Yup!

You forgot 'was quite happy to be willfully dangerous and DELIBERATELY cause a crash'.

Awesome talent but no saint, not by a million miles.

locogeoff - 28/8/11 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Really - stewards saw it as a racing accident, which I largely agree. Allthough im no HUGE LH fan, im a fan none the less but the accident with Kobiashiwas nothing to do with him going for a half move or a 'get out my way or crash' maneuver, it was more Kobi than his fault IMO.

Remember the stewards look at a single incident whereas we are discussing a more widespread driver behavior. As for the incident itself, Niki Lauda made some interesting comments on it, basically saying it was an unnecessary manouvre, he had the corner won, there was no need to go left before the turn in. I think ths was another example of Hamilton being a bit too forceful especially who he did it to, they don't call him Kobycrashi for nothing

If we give Lewis the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't know Kobyashi (sp?) was there then I agree it was a racing incident. If it was a deliberate chop then KK had three options brake, take to the grass, or have the inevitable accident and LH will maybe get the message that overly aggressive driving does not always pay dividends.

We only need to contrast this with Webber's pass on Alonso at Eau Rouge to see the perfect level of aggressive behavior where both drivers complemented each others actions after the fact. Can you imagine the same outcome had LH been either competitor.

Regardless of LH's behavior prior to the OP incident Maldonardo was bang out of order, but that's how you fight bullies.

scootz - 28/8/11 at 07:58 PM

quote:
If we give Lewis the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't know Kobyashi (sp?) was there then I agree it was a racing incident...

I'd go a stage further and say that if LH didn't know KK was there, then he has no place on the F1 circuit!

norfolkluego - 28/8/11 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
If we give Lewis the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't know Kobyashi (sp?) was there then I agree it was a racing incident...

I'd go a stage further and say that if LH didn't know KK was there, then he has no place on the F1 circuit!

That's over the top.
Hamilton has come out () and said he thought he's left him enough room but obviously hadn't and accepted the blame, these guys deal in millimetres at high speed with very little lateral or backwards vision.

They all get it wrong sometimes.

plentywahalla - 28/8/11 at 08:41 PM

There does seem to be a strong anti Hamilton theme on here. I would make a few observations:

1) Hamilton did not make a definate move to the left. He was maintaining a straight line to the best turning point for the corner.

2) There is no possible advantage for Kobiyashi to have an outside overlap before the corner.

3) It is far easier for the following car to judge whether there is an overlap.

4) There is a general rule that it is the overtaking car that has the primary responsibility to avoid contact unless under a yellow flag.

I may be a bit rusty on the rules as it is about 30 years since I took to the track, but I think it was very generous of Hamilton to accept some responsibility for the incident. It shows that he is maturing as a driver.

Wheels244 - 28/8/11 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
There does seem to be a strong anti Hamilton theme on here. I would make a few observations:

1) Hamilton did not make a definate move to the left. He was maintaining a straight line to the best turning point for the corner.

2) There is no possible advantage for Kobiyashi to have an outside overlap before the corner.

4) There is a general rule that it is the overtaking car that has the primary responsibility to avoid contact unless under a yellow flag.

I may be a bit rusty on the rules as it is about 30 years since I took to the track, but I think it was very generous of Hamilton to accept some responsibility for the incident. It shows that he is maturing as a driver.

Here, Here - well said sir.

How the Lewis bashers can blame him for that one is beyond me.

Gordy - 28/8/11 at 09:41 PM

I admit i'm not a Lewis fan, i dont doubt his talent but he's known to act like a spoilt brat when things go against him and down his own team very quickly when mistakes are made, the team that bankrolled his whole career since he was a young boy, and the team he would drop in a heart beat if Red Bull had come calling, but not because hes black as a couple of guys are hinting at on here

plentywahalla - 28/8/11 at 10:21 PM

I don't think he's spoilt bratness, his loyalty to his team, or his colour has any relavance to the racing incidence with kobiyashi ... why bring it up?

As I said, there seems to be an anti Hamilton theme on this forum.

norfolkluego - 29/8/11 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
I admit i'm not a Lewis fan, i dont doubt his talent but he's known to act like a spoilt brat when things go against him and down his own team very quickly when mistakes are made, the team that bankrolled his whole career since he was a young boy, and the team he would drop in a heart beat if Red Bull had come calling, but not because hes black as a couple of guys are hinting at on here

So Alonso doesn't (quite happy to risk the very existence of the team who pay him), Webber doesn't (ignores team orders even when legal), Vettel (quite happy to give the mental sign to a team mate when he'd caused the accident) doesn't, all of them don't.
I seem to remember that Button, under contract to Honda, decided he wanted to drive for Williams, then suddenly decided he wanted to stay with Honda despite signing a contract with Williams.

Why is it always Hamilton who's that 'spoiled brat', explain to me how are the others so different

[Edited on 29/8/11 by norfolkluego]

britishtrident - 29/8/11 at 06:51 AM

quote:

Exactly the way I see it, everybody seems to forget Kobiyashi has a death or glory attitude that makes Harakiri look like a logical course of action a fact that Hamilton should have taken into account.

[Edited on 29/8/11 by britishtrident]

Gordy - 29/8/11 at 10:08 AM

quote:
I don't think he's spoilt bratness, his loyalty to his team, or his colour has any relavance to the racing incidence with kobiyashi ... why bring it up?

As I said, there seems to be an anti Hamilton theme on this forum.
I bring it up because you mentioned the anti Hamilton theme going on, and 'somebody' mentioned because he's 'different' from the other drivers, hinting that people that dont like Hamilton must dislike him because of his colour which i took offence to, please read earlier posts then you might understand why i 'brought it up'.

karlak - 29/8/11 at 10:20 AM

Hamilton has actually admitted the crash was his fault now. Hard to dispute the TV evidence that he did drift slightly left before the right hander.

But at least he acknowledged he was at fault and should have left more room.

It did appear that the both Hamilton and Button were woefully slow compared to others on the long straight, even with slip stream and DRS, they only just seemed to get the job done. Perhaps that didnt help in this case, as I am sure that Hamilton was being caught by time he was approaching the corner, not an excuse, just an observation really - Perhaps edging their bets for a wet race set-up.

Neville Jones - 29/8/11 at 10:24 AM

Everyone seems tohave forgotten Schumacher.

He started the overly agressive driving style.

Remember, he has openly admitted that two of his F1 titles belonged to Damon Hill, and he(schumacher) only got the titles by ramming Damon.

Think about it.

Cheers,
Nev.

plentywahalla - 29/8/11 at 10:53 AM

Apologies to Gordy ... I misunderstood his point.

Anybody criticising Hamilton needs to view the clip frame by frame. Shortly before the corner Kobiyashi's nearside front wheel is running along the edge of the kerb. At the point of contact his nsf is a good 2 to 3 feet from the kerb. Also you can clearly see his front wheels are angled toward Hamiltons car.

Kobyashi swerved into contact with Hamilton. Had he held his line there would have been no contact as Hamilton was looking to the apex and about to start his turn. If necessary he should have put a wheel on the kerb rather than hit Hamilton.

Ultimately contact between the cars was entirely under Kobyashi's control. He put himself into a completely pointless position of an outside overlap on a corner where the racing line does not allow for two cars, and then when he could have held his line and avoided contact he turned into Hamilton.

Hamilton may not be the most admired personality in the sport, but that shouldn't be used to prejudge race incidents like this.

Johneturbo - 29/8/11 at 10:54 AM

I do find it strange that anyone could dislike someone for coming into F1 and wanting to win/be successful ,after all he had won the 2005 F3 title with 15 wins out of 20 and then won the GP2 title in 2006

fair play to him for believing in his talent, infact hammy fighting againt his then reigning world champion team mate made me repsect the guy even more. how many rookies would have done that!?. or just been happy to be in F1 and play number 2.

rusty nuts - 29/8/11 at 11:26 AM

If Hamilton never attempted any overtaking then people would say he is a boring driver , when he doe's overtake he is slagged off. He is a far better driver than all of the people on here slagging him off as he has proved, by winning an F1 championship IMHO

mrwibble - 29/8/11 at 12:34 PM

well the topics gone well past the title now, but my 2 penith worth is that in the kobyashi vs hamilton incident, no one seems to of observed the fact that kobyashi had no chance whatsoever of maintaining a lead on hamilton, the whole maneuver seems pointless other than a quick up yours to LH if successful before being inevitably passed.