Board logo

New iPhone 4s .....
Jasper - 5/10/11 at 12:37 PM

Just had the email with the new 4s info and operating system, some very nice features for those non-Apple haters

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/

The 'Siri' voice activation stuff looks amazing, and knowing Apple there's a good chance it might actually work too!!

SeaBass - 5/10/11 at 12:50 PM

Pointless. You'd get fed up with that quickly... and you'd look very odd talking to yourself.

JC (Apple Hater)

Tiger Super Six - 5/10/11 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Just had the email with the new 4s info and operating system, some very nice features for those non-Apple haters

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/

The 'Siri' voice activation stuff looks amazing, and knowing Apple there's a good chance it might actually work too!!

That's just a rip off of the Android features - handy notifications pull down! That's been on my HTC for ages!

wylliezx9r - 5/10/11 at 01:36 PM

My HTC has voice activation that works also. Only had the phone about 14 months yawnnnnnnnnnnn...........

scootz - 5/10/11 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
... and you'd look very odd talking to yourself.

I've been doing that for nearly 40 years! Some of the most interesting conversations I've ever had were with myself!

welderman - 5/10/11 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

I've been doing that for nearly 40 years! Some of the most interesting conversations I've ever had were with myself!

LOL, but never, dont buy it lol.

blakep82 - 5/10/11 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
My HTC has voice activation that works also. Only had the phone about 14 months yawnnnnnnnnnnn...........

and the 8mp camera , got that on my htc i've had all year too so nothing ground breaking there. it also shoots HD, not sure of 1080p right enough think its 720p

thought this was supposed to be a iphone 5? why is it a 4s? is it not different enough from the 4 to be called a 5?
sounds like a few minor upgrades to me...

Jasper - 5/10/11 at 02:08 PM

Chaps, might be a idea to watch all the video before commmenting then you'll know what you're talking about.

Davey D - 5/10/11 at 02:21 PM

This month ive swapped in my old iphone 3G for a Samsung Galaxy S II. Best thing i ever did. There is no way ill be going back to apple

wylliezx9r - 5/10/11 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Chaps, might be a idea to watch all the video before commmenting then you'll know what you're talking about.

Why would anyone want to watch a video about it, the cheesey adverts on the tv are enough to make me want to top myself.

Hector.Brocklebank - 5/10/11 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
This month ive swapped in my old iphone 3G for a Samsung Galaxy S II. Best thing i ever did. There is no way ill be going back to apple

+1 this phone is so good and got apple so worried they are trying to ban it in Europe through the courts, if apple wasnt concerned about it they wouldnt bat an eyelid, but usual with apple if we cant beat em let screw em in the courts....

and no im not an apple hater per se.... i do hate it when EVERY time i relent and install i-tunes on any pc i have that it ends up crashing them then i remember why i hate i-tunes !!!

blakep82 - 5/10/11 at 03:01 PM

i have to install quick time to watch the video? no thanks. last time i installed quick time it screwed up all the file extention associations on my pc, and slowed it down a lot. that was years ago though, so that raises 3 points:
1, quicktime MIGHT be better now, but theres no call for it except apples web site
2, why have i not needed to install quicktime in about 6 years? is it because its an apple player, and they're the only ones still pushing it?
3,seems to come under apple's thing of 'our way or not at all' why can't i watch it in flash? oh yeah...

l0rd - 5/10/11 at 03:38 PM

They were designing the new Iphone 5 but due to Apple stocks on the market falling price, they rebranded it as Iphone 4s with gadgets of the 5 in order for their stocks to raise value.

Ben_Copeland - 5/10/11 at 03:40 PM

I love my iPhone but I'm pissed off that apple don't have flash and they think they can push old ideas when htc etc are already doing it

Ninehigh - 5/10/11 at 03:47 PM

Voice recognition that WORKS

Last time I tried using that it went something like this:
Phone: Please say name
Me: Home
Calling "Mike" (me saying Mike about an octave deeper)

Start again

Please say name
Hooommmme
Calling "Mum"
Ah bugrit that'll do
Cancelled. Please say name
Ah stick it!

kevmcdo - 5/10/11 at 04:30 PM

I thought Apple stocks were pretty sound and had gone up in the last 12months?!?
Give or take take market changes due to the world financial crisis sending the prices of everything up and down.....
I think a lot of the other tech companies would love to be in Apples position that they have so much money in hard cash that they do not know what to invest it in?!?!?!

probablyleon - 5/10/11 at 07:10 PM

It's interesting that now Apple are the big dogs they've become the the corporate monsters everybody loves to hate. 15 years ago they were the cuddly and slightly hippy face of the tech industry, fighting the 'good fight' against those nasty Microsoft monsters. I have been using Microsoft, Apple and Google products extensively, and in almost equal measures for well over 20 years now (not Google for that long obviously) and never really bought into the cuddly/hippy Apple image (in fact, I've found they've always been a cow of a company to deal with). The truth is, and without any prejudice, Apple products just seem to work better than anything else on the market. My HTC Desire HD fell a long way short of my iPhone 4 in terms of ease of use, functionality and general operational smoothness (all things I consider to be of paramount importance in a smartphone). I really wanted Android to kick Apple's ar** but as yet this isn't happening. The same for their computers. One of the most staunch (almost evangelical) Apple users I know was until 2 years ago the hardware copyrighter for PC Format magazine. Pretty much everyone I know that has extensive experience on both sides of the fence with say the same... There I've said it.

morcus - 5/10/11 at 07:11 PM

Why do you want all that nonsense on a phone? in my experience it has an adverse effect when using the device as a phone so seems like a massive waste of money (Like when I bought a game boy and then realised I never ride public transport and only can use it when I'm home and have much better non portable things).

David Jenkins - 5/10/11 at 07:14 PM

I think Apple's products are very good - especially the iPad, which is brilliant - but there is no way I'm going to pay the high premium they demand.

So, I may be impressed by the iPhone, but I own a HTC Desire (which I think is an excellent device anyway, and does everything I want).

eddie99 - 5/10/11 at 07:16 PM

Cant wait for the 4s, i think apple products are the best and will continue to use them.

D Beddows - 5/10/11 at 07:22 PM

iPhones don't have Google Navigation......... for me it's game over after that!

On a more serious note I have a works iPhone and a personal Android phone, coincidentaly both on the same network - I'm NEVER tempted at weekends or when I'm on holiday to swap the cards over. Yes the iPhone is a bit slicker but there's just something about it that I don't like - can't put my finger on what it is mind you lol

Steve Hignett - 5/10/11 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
quote:

+1 this phone is so good and got apple so worried they are trying to ban it in Europe through the courts, if apple wasnt concerned about it they wouldnt bat an eyelid, but usual with apple if we cant beat em let screw em in the courts....

and no im not an apple hater per se.... i do hate it when EVERY time i relent and install i-tunes on any pc i have that it ends up crashing them then i remember why i hate i-tunes !!!

+2... I have to admit though, that if I had a choice (monetary reasons for lack of choice) then I would have gone for the HTC Sensation instead of my Galaxy S2. It is a damn fine phone though!

david_hornet27 - 5/10/11 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
quote:

+2... I have to admit though, that if I had a choice (monetary reasons for lack of choice) then I would have gone for the HTC Sensation instead of my Galaxy S2. It is a damn fine phone though!

+3

I was due an upgrade in September and was going to wait for iphone 5 but couldn't as my Blackberry decided to give up. Would have been gutted to have waited only to be confronted with the fact there is no iphone5!!!

I upgraded to Galaxy S2 after some research and I am amazed at how bloody brilliant it is. Already has all the bits the iphone 4s has but with a bigger screen and thinner case...

greggors84 - 5/10/11 at 09:38 PM

Not sure why anyone was expecting an iPhone 5, there was a 2 year gap between the 3G and the 4 and in between was the 3GS, the same phone on the outside but better hardware inside. Same as this year, faster processor, better battery life, better camera and 1080p video (the 4 has 720p)

Ive had a few different smart phones and have had a good play with the others, my work mate has just got a Samsung galaxy 2 and apart from a better camera maybe its no where near as nice to use as the iphone 4. Android just seems they cobbled together and too much going on. I like the way apple keep a restraint on their os as it keeps it neat and tidy and it looks like someone has actually put some thought into it!

If google decided to pull a few more of their features off the iphone like maps etc. then things might start to go in favour of the android phones. But as it is, for me the iphone wins hands down.

And I havent mentioned the way the iphone 4 is built, there as been no phone built as well or has looked as good (the last one in my opinion of course!)

Peteff - 5/10/11 at 09:39 PM

It's all hype. Samsung supplies the iphone parts like chips and screens so they need each other to keep the market going.

eddie99 - 6/10/11 at 12:00 AM

RIP Steve Jobs!

Madinventions - 6/10/11 at 01:03 AM

quote:

RIP Steve Jobs!

+1... Ok, so he may've been a bit ruthless, but he rescued Apple from themselves when he rejoined in the 90s, and I can only wonder how they'll manage without his particular brand of leadership?

P ? - 6/10/11 at 05:00 AM

Got a iPhone 4, and had it over a year but don't see the point in me upgrading to the 4s!!! am disappointed.

Agriv8 - 6/10/11 at 06:31 AM

you may have to be quick if you want a 4s Samsung are apllying for a sales ban stating infringment of its Copy right.

Me ill stick with HTC's

regards

Agriv8

ChrisW - 6/10/11 at 09:53 AM

The thing that people don't see to get about the iPhone is that it's not the electronic hardware that you're buying. Yes, plenty of phones out there have dual-core CPUs, 8MP cameras, etc, etc. All this "well my phone does that and it was free" isn't the point.

I'd argue that the physical form of the hardware contributes to the price a little. Arguably, the iPhone is the best looking of the current range of phones available and has the best case, but still that's not a reason for the £500 price tag.

No, where it's at is the software. I'm a huge evangelist of open-source software and do loads of things on command line based Linux, but that's when I'm at home and I've got time to spend and a proper desk with large screen, proper keyboard, etc to work with. When I'm on my mobile device, be that iPhone or iPad, I'll usually be doing something other than working on a computer. I just want to pull it out of my pocket, do whatever task it is as simply and quickly as possible, and then get on with whatever I was doing. In other words, I don't want there to be a pause in whatever I'm doing in real life whilst I get the phone to do what I want. This functionality what the iPhone does hugely well compared to every other phone OS I've ever seen. Everything is accessible, logical, and uncluttered, which makes it quick and simple to use, and then when I tell it to do something it just works without any messing around. There's none of this 'go to xyz menu', 'fiddle with a microscopic track ball', 'restart the abc service', 'get the stylus and click start, run, camera, still'. It's all fine on a desktop, but on a mobile device it's a chore.

So what if it doesn't have the latest cutting edge hardware feature. For example, I reckon I could pull my 3GS out, take a 3MP photo, and put the phone away before most of the Android based platforms had even been unlocked, and that's the point, I don't want to be saying 'hold on, hold on' to people while I get my phone ready.

I remember back when Windows XP came out, and I think this point is revelent to the current phone market. I can't remember who it was, but they said something along the lines of "You know all that stuff (referring mainly to multimedia) that we've said Windows could do for years? Well, it actually does it now". Apple watch what other companies are doing, play with it, work out how it works, and then do it properly.

Anyway, enough about that. I'm off to que outside the Apple store to make sure I'm first in line next Wednesday!

Chris

[Edited on 6/10/2011 by ChrisW]

david_hornet27 - 6/10/11 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Anyway, enough about that. I'm off to que outside the Apple store to make sure I'm first in line next Wednesday!

[Edited on 6/10/2011 by ChrisW]

have a good weekend lol!

craig1410 - 6/10/11 at 10:13 AM

Well said Chris.

It always amazes me how many people who think they know something about technology sometimes completely miss the point.

Think of the hardware like an artists canvas, it's only there to showcase the art. I could use the same canvas as da vinci but I suspect my art would come up short in comparison.

v8kid - 6/10/11 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

My trouble is I argue with myself and then go and loose the argument

Agriv8 - 6/10/11 at 05:29 PM

I understand your case Chris and I suppose I am the same when it comes to the car the but that audi A6 does very well everything is where you expect and logical and works quickley and easlily minimus fuss

Though modern HTC's (andriod 2.3 ) setup wifes in less than 20 minutes including synking contacts from old phone, setup 2 eamil accounts, Twiter and facebook. it impressed the pants of me. My problem with Apple is the form over function for example it looks good but hold it wrong and you loose signal strength.

Posted from a netbook running Redhat 6 ;-) on train

regards

Agriv8

blakep82 - 6/10/11 at 05:38 PM

took literally 2 secs from locked in my pocket to taking this 8mp photo
Description
Description

no track ball on mine though, all touch screen, didn't make any changes to the phone at all.

NS Dev - 6/10/11 at 05:53 PM

I love my 3gs iphone

I'm no techno geek, but its not broken yet, screen hasn't scratched yet, and I can use it easily.

The same could not be said of every previous phone in the last 5 years, which have all required repair or replacement within their 12 month warranties!

Its really useful for work, with some of the seemingly simple features like the double tap on the text of a company phone no. on their website to call them.

Davey D - 6/10/11 at 06:00 PM

My galaxy s2 does everything so much faster than my iphone ever did. it is crazy how long it took the iphone to render web pages. even on a 10Mb connection surfing the net was painful at times.

eddie99 - 14/10/11 at 07:39 PM

Got my 4s today, last iphone i had was a 3g so a fair bit of improvement on that so im happy

ChrisW - 15/10/11 at 11:06 AM

Picked mine up yesterday too. Apparently people were queing from 8pm the night before outside the Apple store in Westfield White City. I rocked up about 3pm and walked out with the phone within 10 minutes. Took longer for Vodafone to transfer me over to a microsim. Suckers!

Well pleased with it so far, although tbh most of the features come with iOS 5 which I had on my 3GS. Nice to have a tidy looking phone again though, and the extra speed and better display are most welcome!

Chris

scudderfish - 15/10/11 at 01:36 PM

thefreak - 16/10/11 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
I understand your case Chris and I suppose I am the same when it comes to the car the but that audi A6 does very well everything is where you expect and logical and works quickley and easlily minimus fuss

Though modern HTC's (andriod 2.3 ) setup wifes in less than 20 minutes including synking contacts from old phone, setup 2 eamil accounts, Twiter and facebook. it impressed the pants of me. My problem with Apple is the form over function for example it looks good but hold it wrong and you loose signal strength.

Posted from a netbook running Redhat 6 ;-) on train

regards

Agriv8

Your car analogy is spot on.
The Mondeo Estate may well cost less to buy, do the same or better MPG, have satnav as standard, leather interior and alloys, but the Audi is a much nicer drive, when you get to your destination you can get out and walk, it's quiet, smooth and has road presence. Yes it might cost more for the same spec as the Mundano, but you're not getting a boring car, you're getting something someone has put a lot of thought and effort into. Everything is laid out just where you want it, you dont need to go digging around for that button or setting you want to change.. and when you come to sell it, the same age, same mileage same spec Mundano is going to be worth no where near what the A6 is

Just check ebay or here. A 3GS, used with a good few miles on the clock is still fetching around £200, even the original 2 is still getting around £80. So loosing around 50% over 2 years is damn good going for a phone that has a life of probably only 4-5 years anyway. A 2 year old HTC is worth what? £50 now?

If I want to take hi-res pictures, I've got a DSLR for that, if I want to take a quick snap of something on the car to post on the internet, it doesn't need to be 15MP, as I've only got to mess around resizing it to 800x600 anyway!
If I want to take a video clip of the family playing in the sea on holiday, I'll use a proper HD video recorder, as it'll have so many more functions than the camera on my phone.

A phone is there for convinence. To do things quickly... check email on the go, make a quick call on the go, check a post on a forum, take a picture of a part on the car to ask a question, listen to some music while on the train. So if it's only got a 3MP camera and single core processer ah well, but I know evertime I take it out my pocket, it's going to work without me spending 20 minutes trying to find out the setting to make it work

Just my view anyway... and yes, I've got a 3GS iPhone, and guess what.. I've got an A6 Avant too and love it

[Edited on 16-10-11 by thefreak]

tompat3463 - 16/10/11 at 01:52 PM

got mine on friday...very impressive got mine as a bussines phojne and I;'ve had the 4 for the last year ..the 4s is paclked with new stuff and Siri is great...much better than the android versions...im a broad geordie and it undersrtands me...lol

must be good lol

Jasper - 17/10/11 at 11:21 AM

Got mine on Friday too, had the 3gs before, this is a HUGE improvement. Siri is truly amazing, never need to type an email/text, google search, or anything ever again, it picks up every word perfectly. Ask it 'Do I need my umbrella' and it comes back, quick as a flash with the answer out loud, and then opens the weather app.

Came home from the pub a bit drunk, wanted to look up something on Google which I couldn't spell and wouldn't have attempted typing in, just spoke it into the phone and up it came.

The new camera is fantastic too, and no more need to sync with itunes as it's all done to the Cloud.

Like others have said, there are phones that have better specs for sure, but none work as well and easily as the iPhone.