Board logo

Loco's CB500T Cafe Racer build diary
locoR1 - 21/10/11 at 08:35 PM

Thought some of you would be interested to see how my latest project progresses.

The locost has been on the road 10 years now and evolved about as far as i can go with it so with winter coming and the boredom of nothing to do setting in i decided a while ago a cafe racer style bike was next.

Next problem was finding a suitable bike, decided from the start it would have to be a twin or single have spoked wheels and most importantly i wasn't going to take a nice bike apart so had to be a bit of a dog.

Found a very rough 1978 CB500 last Sunday at the right price so borrowed a trailer and set of to Norwich to fetch it!

Yes its a nice shade of brown to match the rust was told it hadn't been started for years although it was a good runner when last used guess i will find that out later.

And finally home just in time to get ready for a Sunday night shift....god that was a long day!

steve m - 21/10/11 at 08:44 PM

oooooooooooooooohhh

I MIGHT DELVE INTO THE LOFT!!!!

steve

locoR1 - 21/10/11 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
oooooooooooooooohhh

steve

Whats in the LOFT? funny place to keep a bike if you've got one

steve m - 21/10/11 at 08:55 PM

a 500t suzuki 1973?
and a 1963 ish 600 panther, sloper, resides, in parents loft, from my younger days

locoR1 - 21/10/11 at 09:01 PM

Nice take some pictures while your up there, would love to see them.

steve m - 21/10/11 at 09:09 PM

so would i!!!

Father doesnt know they are up there !!

locoR1 - 21/10/11 at 09:13 PM

....time to come clean me thinks!!!!!!!

skodaman - 22/10/11 at 12:17 AM

Is that an Avon Roadrunner I see before me?
"so had to be a bit of a dog." Think you've managed that part of the brief.
Still a nice period piece from when bikes were bikes and didn't stop or go round corners. Nice alloy petrol tank, matching single seat,clip-ons, hack off any surplus brackets and fit a decent caliper and megaphone exosts and it could be fun. Just a weekends work I reckon.

RK - 22/10/11 at 12:29 AM

cant wait for this. keep us posted

Ninehigh - 22/10/11 at 05:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
oooooooooooooooohhh

steve

Whats in the LOFT? funny place to keep a bike if you've got one

But that would be an awesome place to start a ride

welderman - 22/10/11 at 07:21 AM

I've got the urge to have a go now but need to Finnish current project first. Keep us posted on your progress

Dangle_kt - 22/10/11 at 08:07 AM

looks like an interesting one - and as its low cost and has that oily wiff, how could any of us fail to be interested!

Keep us updated - and ref the comment above, I'm pretty sure that is MUCH more than a weekends work

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 08:38 AM

Cheated a bit with the first post just to star the thread off,

Made a start on it yesterday, First job see if i could get the old girl running again!
Reccon its been a good few years judging by the state the carbs were in never seen the inside of a float bowl green before so with that done fitted the battery of my scooter sorted some of the wiring out cleaned the points up and put some fresh fuel in!

It surprisingly started quite easily and runs reasonably well

Now i know it runs ive made a start on striping it, will be doing a bit more today so will post up some more pic's later.

Dave.

[Edited on 22/10/11 by locoR1]

welderman - 22/10/11 at 08:56 AM

coozer - 22/10/11 at 03:44 PM

What kind of cafe racer are you intending to make it into??

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

What do you mean by what kind? Im just going to make it up as i go along with the help of Google images for inspiration

coozer - 22/10/11 at 06:41 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

What do you mean by what kind? Im just going to make it up as i go along with the help of Google images for inspiration

Like this.. yum yum

[Edited on 22/10/11 by coozer]

coozer - 22/10/11 at 06:50 PM

However, doing this to it would be cool.......

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 07:41 PM

They look more like choppers to me all hard tail......doesn't float my boat sorry

Im thinking more like below

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 08:00 PM

Starting to look a bit more like the look I'm after....seat brackets cut of frame ready for new seat when I find one or make one.

Going to be slower progress from here as i cant strip it right down to start rebuilding wheels engine ect until the seat and rearsets are sorted, looks like i will be visiting Newark autojumble in a few weeks and looking through ebay quite a bit.

Mark Allanson - 22/10/11 at 08:06 PM

from the cartoon 'Ogri'

T66 - 22/10/11 at 08:12 PM

Can see the shape coming in already...

Just found this album - https://picasaweb.google.com/101411147233928518276/BubbleVisor02

check his other album aswell...

[Edited on 22/10/11 by T66]

MikeRJ - 22/10/11 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skodaman

Or Avon Deathmaster as a friend and I referred to them as. He had one on the back of his GT185, and the profile was so square (despite appearing to be relatively new from the tread depth) that he fired the bike up on the center stand and used a surform to "reprofile" the tyre, which apparently worked quite well

Andybarbet - 22/10/11 at 09:40 PM

It might be worth searching for a Vespa race seat, you can get the fibreglass shell & cover it with padding if you want to.

They will probably be quite locost price wise.

Here's the sort of thing i mean on ebay - Item number: 160660354929

If you do a google images search for 'vespa race seat' it will bring up a few pictures, may not be what you were thinking but when i looked at those pictures you put up, it sprung to mind.

Good luck with the build, i think its going to turn out pretty tasty

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 10:17 PM

Thanks, Just had a look very similar prices to the one i tried to bid on tonight but failed miserably i always bid in the last few seconds so im not tempted to up the price i had decided on, bet you can guess! missed the end by a second or so

This is the one i was going to bid on "LINK"

Would make a plug and mould to do my own but it just doesnt seem worth the time and effort when i can hopefully buy something like that and tweak it a bit to make it just how i want it.

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 10:20 PM

<<<<<<< Just noticed it says Building: idea's of what to do next!

Time to change that!!!!!

[Edited on 22/10/11 by locoR1]

Steve Hignett - 22/10/11 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Thanks, Just had a look very similar prices to the one i tried to bid on tonight but failed miserably i always bid in the last few seconds so im not tempted to up the price i had decided on, bet you can guess! missed the end by a second or so

This is the one i was going to bid on "LINK"

Would make a plug and mould to do my own but it just doesnt seem worth the time and effort when i can hopefully buy something like that and tweak it a bit to make it just how i want it.

Ebay link to another one...

Ebay link to a general cafe racer seat search...

locoR1 - 22/10/11 at 10:40 PM

Steve, i liked that one the others look to rounded to me, reckon the one i was looking at matches the shape of the rear of the tank so looks right if you know what i mean?

Looking at his feedback he's sold a few so will sit tight and wait for one to be relisted.

Myke 2463 - 23/10/11 at 08:32 AM

Dave, let me guess ! blue frame and chrome yellow tank / seat = matching pair. Are you going to Silverstone on Sat ?

locoR1 - 23/10/11 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Dave, let me guess ! blue frame and chrome yellow tank / seat = matching pair. Are you going to Silverstone on Sat ?

Ha Ha! Blue and yellow did cross my mind but no will probably be mainly black with shiny bits

Whats on at Silverstone? not that i can go i have a trackday at RAF Cottesmore next Sat.

Myke 2463 - 23/10/11 at 09:05 AM

Silverstone Sat 29th October 2011 Birkett 6 Hour Relay Race organised by 750 MC.

Whats the crack with spectators at RAF Cottesmore next Sat. 7's dead so spectator only.

locoR1 - 23/10/11 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Silverstone Sat 29th October 2011 Birkett 6 Hour Relay Race organised by 750 MC.

Whats the crack with spectators at RAF Cottesmore next Sat. 7's dead so spectator only.

You have a u2u with details Myke

TQ_uk - 25/10/11 at 05:10 PM

Some inspiration for you....

From here

locoR1 - 25/10/11 at 05:18 PM

That's nice and gives me an idea of how to do my rearsets something i have been struggling to decide on.

TQ_uk - 25/10/11 at 05:27 PM

And 'only' $520...

locoR1 - 25/10/11 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TQ_uk
And 'only' $520...

will be collecting a few bits and making my own! This is locostbuilders after all.

trikerneil - 25/10/11 at 06:10 PM

quote:
And 'only' $520...

'kinell, I've heard you can build a sports car for half that

Neil

MikeCapon - 26/10/11 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Some inspiration for you....

Looks nice. Those exhausts are clearly 'inspired' by the Commando Roadster pipes.

All I'd like to know is: Where is the battery hidden?

MikeRJ - 26/10/11 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
All I'd like to know is: Where is the battery hidden?

Probably under the back of the seat.

locoR1 - 27/10/11 at 09:32 PM

Splashed the cash a bit this week thought it would be a good idea to get a blasting cabinet so i can clean the bits up as and when i need to.
Also contacted the guy selling the seat units on ebay so should have one on the way to me in the next few days....looking forward to fitting that and getting a feel for how its going to look.

Blasted the swinging arm and cleaned the rear hub up a bit tonight.

skodaman - 27/10/11 at 10:56 PM

''Originally posted by skodaman

Or Avon Deathmaster as a friend and I referred to them as.''
Nah Roadrunners were great in the wet compared to Bridgestones and are quite round. You mean Avon Speedmaster MK11's. As you say they are square in section and terrifying in the wet even on a cb125j. I think they must've been designed for sidecars not solos.

gulf zxr - 5/11/11 at 09:48 AM

Hi LocoR1 - Just found this thread, most interesting!!

I've just bought the same bike and am doing the same and I'm only down the road from you in Huntingdon...

Here she is...

[Edited on 5/11/11 by gulf zxr]

MikeRJ - 5/11/11 at 10:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
''Originally posted by skodaman

Or Avon Deathmaster as a friend and I referred to them as.''
Nah Roadrunners were great in the wet compared to Bridgestones and are quite round. You mean Avon Speedmaster MK11's. As you say they are square in section and terrifying in the wet even on a cb125j. I think they must've been designed for sidecars not solos.

Yep, you are quite correct. My memory is crap these days, getting old...

locoR1 - 5/11/11 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gulf zxr
Hi LocoR1 - Just found this thread, most interesting!!

I've just bought the same bike and am doing the same and I'm only down the road from you in Huntingdon...

Here she is...

[Edited on 5/11/11 by gulf zxr]

Yours is already shiny that's cheating

Looks like is complete and road worthy, have you taken it out for a ride? what's it go like?

Be interested in how yours progresses you going to start a build thread? feel like i have some competition now!

gulf zxr - 5/11/11 at 04:01 PM

Mine had been started to be restored i.e. new exhausts bits of chrome here and there.

Not run it yet as I needed to source a new casrb as one was missing, got one from texas of all plces and may try and start her up tonight, she span over fine with the plugs out and had a good spark, I'll report back later.

What are you planning on doing for a seat and rearsets?

I may try and start a build thread

I think we shiould have a meet up when the bikes are on the road

dlatch - 5/11/11 at 05:20 PM

really looking forward to seeing how this turns out would love to build a bigger brother for
my cafe racer monkey bike one day

cheers
duncan

locoR1 - 5/11/11 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Mine had been started to be restored i.e. new exhausts bits of chrome here and there.

Not run it yet as I needed to source a new casrb as one was missing, got one from texas of all plces and may try and start her up tonight, she span over fine with the plugs out and had a good spark, I'll report back later.

What are you planning on doing for a seat and rearsets?

I may try and start a build thread

I think we shiould have a meet up when the bikes are on the road

Would be good to see what you think of it if you do get to run it up the road, would of loved a quick ride on mine but the front calliper is seized solid and the clutch stuck.

Got one of the seat units from the guy on ebay discussed earlier in this thread but it really crap so the plan is to cut it up and try and do something with that, if it turns out ok i may take a mould of it to make the finished item will see how it goes.

Have a couple of options on rearsets have a mate thats got a set from a rgv250 he's going to lend me them to offer up so hopefully if i want them he will be giving them to me with a bit of persuasion If they are no good i will probably make some like below will be mounted of the rear hangers if i do.

Description
Description

Im up for a Locostbuilder Cafe Racer Meeting when its done

gulf zxr - 5/11/11 at 10:38 PM

Hi Loco,

Just so you can follow mine I have actually started a thread, I'll try and update when anything happens........

Here's the thread New Build Thread

Jason

locoR1 - 6/11/11 at 07:58 PM

Bit more done over the weekend after finally making a decision over the front end, was thinking of putting a modern upside down set of forks and yokes on it but after a cuppa and chat with a mate ive decided to stay with the classic looks.

Temporary bars knocked up out of the old bars

Forks blasted and one nice and shiny.

Front brake disc before!

And after, centre will be painted when i do the rest of the bike, I think it looks allot better

gulf zxr - 7/11/11 at 10:19 PM

Did you blast your bits yourself and drill the disc or get someone else to do it?

Was thinking of drilling my disc.

Coming on......

locoR1 - 8/11/11 at 09:14 AM

All done myself, already had a big compresor so invested in a blasting cabinet a couple of weeks ago so i can do bits as i need to, will just be the frame that i cant do.

A quick google for "honda disc drilling pattern" tuned up with a load of pdf's for various honda disc's "LINK"

I converted it so my vinyl cutter could read it and made a vinyl template to stick on the disk,
As for drilling the disc you want top quality drill bits and take it nice and slow with lots of coolant/cutting fluid.

Dave.

MikeRJ - 8/11/11 at 12:27 PM

What diameter are the fork tubes? It's well worth fitting cartridge emulators to the forks, it gives a serious improvement over the crappy damper rods. Not quite up to cartridge fork performance, but as close as you are going to get for the money.

The genuine Racetech Goldvalve emulators are quite expensive however, but a company called Debrix makes a very similar item designed for Hardley Ablesons. I've fitted these to three SV650s and also to my GPZ500. They drop straight into the older SV650, and the damper rods need a simple bush turning on the later bikes. Because the GPZ has smaller (37mm) diameter forks, I had to machine down the outside of the valve slightly to get it to fit. If your CB has the same size or larger forks you should be able to use them.

One of the SV's belongs to a colleague at work, and he was blown away by the improvement. Because they have a proper blow off valve instead of a fixed orifice the forks soak up bumps without throwing you out of the seat and also reduce dive under braking.

Note the postage from Debrix is as much as the valves themselves, but it's still an awful lot less than the Racetech items. If you can find someone else who wants a pair and can split the postage then even better.

[Edited on 8/11/11 by MikeRJ]

locoR1 - 8/11/11 at 03:22 PM

That looks interesting, thanks for posting that up not something I had thought about been years since I've ridden or worked on a bike will have a look into that tonight,
The cb500 forks are 35mm I have a lathe so turning them down is no problem but will they go that small?

[Edited on 8/11/11 by locoR1]

locoR1 - 18/11/11 at 11:02 PM

Bit more done over the last couple of weeks managed to get a seat of the ebay seller i mentioned previously bad news is it was rubbish good job i got it cheep out of ebay,

Decided to widen the rear hump so it was more in proportion to the tank but ended up making a new seat base as that was all out of shape as well, Will probably cut the back about a bit when i find a rear light i like.

Ebay seat unit

Ended up just using the hump cut down the middle and widened, the grey bits are from the original seat.

Made a start on the rear of the tank tonight to make it blend in to the seat unit better ive filled in the rear section of the tank also Found a TZ fuel tank strap on ebay...thought it would look quite good and solve the problem of not being able to use the original rear tank mount.

steve m - 18/11/11 at 11:28 PM

I am very tempted to raid my parent loft,

Please dont ell the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RK - 19/11/11 at 12:16 AM

Don't worry, we won't. Still trying to figure out how to do this myself without getting stopped in my tracks.

slingshot2000 - 19/11/11 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Still trying to figure out how to do this myself without getting stopped in my tracks.

Me too, and I have had no fancy for a bike since i was a teenager. Really enjoying this thread.

Regards
Jon

T66 - 19/11/11 at 08:51 AM

Great thread, and great work.

My wife thinks I'm joking about a Moto Guzzi cafe racer project when I retire.

Just enough room next to the fiat in my garage.

RK - 19/11/11 at 02:09 PM

Make sure she is really going to allow it, and not just humouring you. They can be evil that way. I had a nice RD400 when I met her. Should never have told her about my off on it the year before...

locoR1 - 19/11/11 at 08:23 PM

Bit of advice needed for those in the know with bike MOT's, fancy using a 7"Angel Eye Headlight trouble is they all seem to be car lights with the car beam pattern, will this pass a bike MOT?

"LINK to ebay light" This is the type of headlamp i would like to use.

locoR1 - 21/11/11 at 01:27 PM

Had some shiny cnc levers arrive this morning couldn't resist fitting them to see how they look and feel

The master cylinder and clutch lever bracket are 98 fireblade worked out way cheaper than replacing the cb500 cylinder looks allot better to.

gulf zxr - 23/11/11 at 06:09 PM

Slow down Dave, you'll be leaving me behind!!!

Got my seat today, looks very well made, can't wait to pop it on for a look now.....

locoR1 - 23/11/11 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Slow down Dave, you'll be leaving me behind!!!

Got my seat today, looks very well made, can't wait to pop it on for a look now.....

Best pull your finger out then! seriously its going to slow down for me with Christmas coming, would love to order my rear-sets but cant this side of Christmas maybe Santa will bring me some

Seat sounds good..get some pics up when you trial fit it!

gulf zxr - 23/11/11 at 07:56 PM

Did you make a template to drill your front disc? If so any chance of a copy so I can do mine?

If you did use a template did you print it on vinyl and stick it on?

[Edited on 23/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1 - 24/11/11 at 03:17 AM

Yup cut with a vinyl cutter and stuck on the disk.

If you look back to page 6 i posted a link to load of pdf's for various Honda discs then cut one with my vinyl cutter, have a look see what pattern you like.

If you want one the same as mine I have the file saved so will only take a few min to cut one for you and sick it in the post, if you like a different one it will take a bit longer but still no problem, doesn’t matter what size disc its from as I can resize the image.

gulf zxr - 24/11/11 at 07:08 PM

Was going to send you a U2U but it won't let me!! I'd be happy Dave with the same one as you have if it not much trouble.

I wanted to U2U my address but it doesn't seem to want to work!!

[Edited on 24/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1 - 24/11/11 at 07:25 PM

Will sort one for you at the weekend, Just sent you a u2u with my email, that's if you get it.

[Edited on 24/11/11 by locoR1]

gulf zxr - 24/11/11 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Will sort one for you at the weekend, Just sent you a u2u with my email, that's if you get it.

[Edited on 24/11/11 by locoR1]

Got a new U2U from you but can't open it!! When I click on it I get the hour glass for a second or so then nothing????

gulf zxr - 24/11/11 at 08:25 PM

got it Dave you can remove, cheers Jason

[Edited on 24/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1 - 4/12/11 at 10:57 PM

Bit of an update, managed to spend a few evenings and most of the weekend on it so made a reasonable amount of progress much to the wife's dislike..still couldn't of been that bad picked up a bike lift i won on eBay tonight and she volunteered to pay for it as an early Christmas present Result!

Didn't fancy using the original clocks so picked up an Acewell digital dash and mounted in an MZ 125 headlamp, love the look of the deep headlamp bowl, leaves loads of room for the wiring also considering mounting the horn inside the headlamp poking through a hole in the under side instead of having it cluttering up the bike.

The Tarozzi rearsets i ordered turned up this week so got them fitted and the gear and brake linkage all made up and finished, seems to work well and feels quite comfortably apart from the amount of weight on your wrists with the ace bars but guess that's unavoidable with this style of bike.

Also made a start on the rear frame hoop and rear light mounting, next weekend will be sorting the mounting of the seat unit, if i get time this week ill get the marine ply im using to strengthen the seat base glassed in so its ready for the weekend.

One final picture, couldn't resist sticking it on the bike lift as soon as i got it home, think its going to make things allot easier on my back shame i didn't have it Saturday when doing the rearsets!

T66 - 6/12/11 at 06:40 PM

Your bike is really coming along - Ive just come across this thread about mounting a seat, may be of interest to you.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/dccdiatribe/2011/12/dcc-tech-tip-installing-a-cafe-racer-seat-no-welding/

locoR1 - 6/12/11 at 07:16 PM

Thanks already seen that thread on one of my many Google's

I have a plan for mounting the seat, will be welding some flat bars across the frame and coach bolts secured through the seat base so its simply a case of four nuts holding it on from underneath.

gulf zxr - 6/12/11 at 07:20 PM

Headlamp looks fantastic Dave.

locoR1 - 6/12/11 at 07:32 PM

quote:

glad you like it! That's the one bit im most chuffed with...Seems to make the bike look longer and more racey looking.

gulf zxr - 6/12/11 at 07:54 PM

quote:
quote:

glad you like it! That's the one bit im most chuffed with...Seems to make the bike look longer and more racey looking.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it

MikeRJ - 6/12/11 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
Your bike is really coming along - Ive just come across this thread about mounting a seat, may be of interest to you.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/dccdiatribe/2011/12/dcc-tech-tip-installing-a-cafe-racer-seat-no-welding/

Looks a bit rough and ready to me (self tappers! ). Considering the frame in that link looks well overdue for re-painting or powder coating I think welding some small brackets onto the frame and holding the seat on with e.g. Dzus or other quick release fasteners would be a much nicer solution than the scabby plastic blocks.

locoR1 - 31/12/11 at 07:32 PM

Last update of the year so Happy New Year to everyone!

Bit more done decided to have a go at making the tank look a bit better what do you think?

Also got the exhaust finished today so that's another job ticked of the list, the complete system is 304 stainless steel.

Think its probably going to be a bit loud so will have to look at making a decibel killer come mot time!

gulf zxr - 31/12/11 at 08:42 PM

Dave, looking good

Happy New Year to you too...

MikeRJ - 31/12/11 at 09:44 PM

Cracking job on the tank and exhaust! The bracket on the tank looks like it could be potentially damaging to your anatomy however

ceebmoj - 9/1/12 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Yup cut with a vinyl cutter and stuck on the disk.

If you look back to page 6 i posted a link to load of pdf's for various Honda discs then cut one with my vinyl cutter, have a look see what pattern you like.

If you want one the same as mine I have the file saved so will only take a few min to cut one for you and sick it in the post, if you like a different one it will take a bit longer but still no problem, doesn’t matter what size disc its from as I can resize the image.

can car disks be drilled like this?

locoR1 - 9/1/12 at 10:46 PM

Suppose you could but i wouldn't risk it not drilled to this extent anyway.

The disc on the old CB Honda's are stainless steel and well over engineered you wouldn't believe the weight of the thing and its been done by people for years so i should be safe with this.

jonno - 9/1/12 at 11:45 PM

Not sure if anyone's noticed.. but there's a new series of cafe racer on discovery turbo

Oh nice build as well

locoR1 - 10/1/12 at 08:22 AM

Thanks

Yup all set to record the series

MikeCapon - 10/1/12 at 08:47 AM

Your work on the tank is fabulous.

Design, execution and result. All

Well done. The original tank on the 500T was always a pretty ugly affair. You have transfomed it.

locoR1 - 10/1/12 at 12:18 PM

Thanks im well chuffed with it, was looking at some very expensive fiberglass tanks so figured i had nothing to loose chopping it about.

Pulled the engine out over the weekend and stripped it ready for blasting painting and polishing,
Was suprised how good it is for 34 years old, the only worrying thing i found was the kickstart return stop worn away on the bottom crank case that explaines why it felt a bit strange was expected to find the return spring broken but nope a lump of casing missing! All sorted now though see pictures good job i have a tig welder

Also some before the engine rebuild pics think it needs a bit of a polish

Lots of bits

kickstart stop repair now sorted

Dangle_kt - 10/1/12 at 12:46 PM

I wish I had a tenth of your fabricating skills

Keep up the good work!

locoR1 - 28/1/12 at 08:07 AM

Engines starting to come together after many hours of sanding and polishing, love the way it looks very

Head just dropped on for now as im waiting for an inlet valve and cam chain guide to come from america, One mounting and the metal case of the chain guide was cracked so that would explain the very lose cam chain and bent inlet valve.

Also been playing with zinc plating works really well for a home made setup some good information
HERE if you fancy a go.

T66 - 28/1/12 at 09:05 AM

That engine is looking mint ! Whats the technique/products used ?

locoR1 - 28/1/12 at 09:28 AM

Main crank cases were blasted then painted with VHT silver engine paint allowed to dry then in the oven at 100 deg for an hour.

Barrels and head again blasted and painted with VHT black crinkle paint this time weird stuff you paint it on 3 coats from different directions 5 min apart then leave for 24 hours looks all glossy for hours then starts to crinkle but doest look great till its been in the oven for an hour.

As for the now shiny engine casing hours of work they were that bad i had to start with 60 grade paper to get most of the corrosion out, work through the grades of paper down to 1200 then its on to the bench polisher still need going over by hand will do that once the bikes built up.

clanger - 28/1/12 at 09:18 PM

loving it i

T66 - 28/1/12 at 10:53 PM

Some hard graft going on there with the polishing, and I like the diy zinc coating setup - saved for future reference.

Top notch

locoR1 - 5/2/12 at 09:42 PM

The Cam chain guide arrived but still waiting for the inlet valve so no progress with the engine so decided to moved on to cleaning up the frame.

Was never happy with the seat unit i modified so order a quality one from Vonzeti with the seat pad already trimmed,
For anyone else looking for a cafe type seat Bert is a really helpful guy i cant recommend him enough, i had the trimming of the seat pad modified with a cut out for the tank strap only charged me an extra £10 to me that's very reasonable.

Had to cut the rear frame loop i had already made off and start again! all done with mountings for the seat, battery tray and indicator brackets and just about ready for paint.

locoR1 - 19/2/12 at 09:59 PM

Really got stuck into it over the last couple of weeks, Last weekend was all about painting! Made up a temporarily spray booth with plastic sheeting then painted the frame and swinging arm first with etch prime then 2k gloss black, 2k paint is nasty stuff but i find i can get a great finish with it, and yes i do have a full face respirator wouldn't use it without one.

Not the most elegant solution but keeps the garage relatively over spray free and the diy extractor fan worked great!

The inlet valve and a few other engine bits i was waiting for turned up last Monday so got that all finished during the week and back in its home

In the next few pics its came together quite quickly due to allot of the bits already being finished.

The last picture is were i am now doing the dreaded wiring, needs quite allot changing as im moving the ignition switch onto the frame under the tank most of the electrics need extending and hidden under the seat unit, new dash to wire and have an electronic ignition kit on order.

Its looking good though well chuffed how it looks now its starting to come together

coozer - 20/2/12 at 10:44 AM

Looks really good, keep up the good work!

Fizzer - 20/2/12 at 11:56 AM

Bloody Marvelous

clanger - 20/2/12 at 06:14 PM

STOP.................

I'm trying to resist doing one

Awesome work

ragindave - 20/2/12 at 06:50 PM

That is bloody good work!

Keep it up!

locoR1 - 20/2/12 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clanger
STOP.................

I'm trying to resist doing one

Awesome work

Ha Ha you know you want to!

Thanks for the positive comments, cant wait to here it run again its going to be a bit loud judging by the thud thud it makes kicking it over

franky - 20/2/12 at 07:19 PM

Only just found this thread again. You've done amazing there.

I'd love to do a cl450 street scrambler but the bank says no

locoR1 - 20/2/12 at 10:13 PM

Thanks the cl450 is a nice looking bike love the high level exhausts and drum front brake really give it a distinctive look would be very cafed
Dont think they ever made them here.

locoR1 - 1/3/12 at 10:25 PM

Still waiting for my shiny new wheel rims to arrive so spent the last week or so doing a few bits and refurnishing the carbs.
Fitted them tonight and also knocked up a temporary fuel supply ready for an attempt to start it tomorrow

From this

To this

Temporary fuel supply made out of a bit of 2 1/2" pipe

locoR1 - 2/3/12 at 08:33 PM

Fired it up today So here's the obligatory first start video couldn't figure out how to embed the video so a link will have to do "FIRST START"

Started on the second kick! That's if you dont include the first try when it nearly fell of the bike lift

ragindave - 2/3/12 at 09:43 PM

Thats great.

A couple of questions.

Was that with or with out the exhaust on? it does not really matter as it sounds superb...

And was it you who actually invented the dyson in the back ground.

Was that your daughter who entered the garage and was she aware you was filming.

Dave.

locoR1 - 2/3/12 at 09:57 PM

Yup exhaust on, its a bit loud but that's how its staying, Dyson what are you on about
And yes it was my daughter who came in the garage in here pyjamas and no she wasn't aware i was filming.... she is now though after i posted the video on Facebook and tagged her in it, shes not happy

franky - 2/3/12 at 10:04 PM

Great job, you're not hanging around

Are you keeping the standard size wheels or having 17" rim's laced to the hubs?

dlatch - 2/3/12 at 10:09 PM

lol at the vid and that's just cruel tagging the daughter in it

fantastic progress its looking great.

ragindave - 2/3/12 at 10:15 PM

So you just a take a picture of the old carb then go and buy a new one i see!

locoR1 - 2/3/12 at 10:20 PM

Im staying with the standard diameter 18" rear and 19" front but next size up on the width for the rear......think it looks cool with the bigger front wheel.
Have a pair of Morad Flanged Alloy Rims on order looking forward to having a go at lacing and truing them should be fun

locoR1 - 6/3/12 at 10:01 PM

Wheel rims arrived today they are very made a start on the first one its now all together loosely, only had to start again once so not to bad so far considering ive never laced a wheel before so reckon this is going to keep me occupied for a few days

gulf zxr - 6/3/12 at 10:05 PM

Thats a job I've got to tackle soon!!!!

Your build is rocketing now compared to mine

Confused but excited. - 6/3/12 at 10:44 PM

That sounds as good as it looks. Talk about galloping nostalgia. . .
Who'd have thought that something from the rising sun could be made into a proper bike.
I might even pinch the engine sound for my ring tone.

Peteff - 7/3/12 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Yup exhaust on, its a bit loud but that's how its staying

Has it got road legal stamped on it ? The MOT stations are a bit keen on loud pipes nowadays even if they are stamped legal but with the baffles removed.

locoR1 - 8/3/12 at 07:20 AM

No markings on the can as its an aftermarket straight through type,
Wasn't sure if the older bikes were exempt or not anyone know? I intend to take it for mot as it is and if it fails make up a temporary modern can just for mot.
It will also have a side mounted number plate and back light again I'm not sure if that's ok or not.

locoR1 - 8/3/12 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Thats a job I've got to tackle soon!!!!

Your build is rocketing now compared to mine

Come on Jason pull you finger out soon be summer Any updates on yours?

locoR1 - 11/3/12 at 10:15 PM

Put in a big effort this week after the rims turned up, wheels built trued and tyres fitted and balanced.
Haven't stopped all weekend so will let the pictures do the talking then add some details in the week

Steve Hignett - 12/3/12 at 09:02 AM

Looking very, very nice Dave...

Any chance it will be at Stoneleigh?

locoR1 - 12/3/12 at 09:40 AM

Thanks m8 won't be done in time but weather permitting it will be at Newark.

gulf zxr - 20/3/12 at 10:27 AM

Looking fantastic Dave, mines slowed right down due to another project and house build!!

locoR1 - 1/4/12 at 06:23 AM

Right time for another up date been busy... busy.... busy

Few jobs done headlamp filled and blended into the dash tube that was welded in, then painted and fitted also finished of the wiring and speed sensor so that's done and dusted now.

Then made up the mountings for the side mounted number plate and rear light plate i had made a few weeks ago, put a nice curve in it along with the number plate, it follows the curve of the rear sprocket and also acts as a rear chain guard, not sure how Mr MOT man will see this though.

Paint work!!! This is one of the things i have bean looking forward to doing for a while although with a little dread if you know what i mean. as you can see it turned out great infact way better than i ever thought i could do so well chuffed Will look even better once the paints go hard so i can that and polish it.

His and Hers Picked the other bike up yesterday for the wife to learn on, Now i have a buddy to go for a ride with happy days

RichardK - 1/4/12 at 07:46 AM

That's looking fantastic,I've started a little gpz250 cafe and hope it turns out half as good as yours and I'll still be well chuffed.

Cheers

Rich

tul214 - 1/4/12 at 07:48 AM

Looks fantastic....I have been looking for a donor for a while but 70's Jap bikes seem to be very popular and they all seem to bring strong money. I will keep looking and hope to stumble on a bargain so I can try to have a go at a cafe bike too.

ReMan - 1/4/12 at 08:25 AM

Superb, I think you've got the "look" spot on.
Will be interestesd to hear it through that pipe, i'm sure that will brnig me back some memoriies

afj - 1/4/12 at 09:04 AM

Saw it in the flesh (metal) last night all I can say woooooooow it is spot on it even started first time
All of the tiny details are top notch and the paint and design are top stuff

gulf zxr - 1/4/12 at 09:10 AM

Fantastic

big_wasa - 1/4/12 at 09:11 AM

Wow.

franky - 1/4/12 at 09:15 AM

if there was an award for the project on here you'd get it awesome. How did you do the paint?

locoR1 - 1/4/12 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
if there was an award for the project on here you'd get it awesome. How did you do the paint?

Thanks! Paint? With a spray gun

Seriously...I use 2k paint as i have the equipment to use it safely, painted it all black first flatted it of then masked off the parts that will stay black inc the 6mm line round the tank then painted the silver base coat.
For the chequered pattern the masking was cut from masking vinyl then sprayed with pearl silver then lacquered to finish

Dangle_kt - 1/4/12 at 04:11 PM

absolutely brilliant.

Well done!

Has it turned a wheel yet?

Do you have a close up of the headlight/dash now its all blended etc?

locoR1 - 1/4/12 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
absolutely brilliant.

Well done!

Has it turned a wheel yet?

Do you have a close up of the headlight/dash now its all blended etc?

Thanks, No not yet hopefully next weekend im still looking for a nice billet brake fluid reservoir so don't have a front brake yet.

Still not sure about the ace card logo and Honda on the headlamp but will leave it for now.

locoR1 - 13/4/12 at 07:48 AM

Well its finally finished apart from a few little tweeks,
had its first little run round the block last weekend seems to ride quite nicely appart from a few running issues will need to get my wideband sensor and gauge on it to sort the carbs out, will sort that out once its mot'd and taxed.

Mot later on today so fingers crossed for no rain!

locoR1 - 5/6/12 at 07:17 PM

About time i updated this passed Mot but had loads of issues in trying to get it to run right on the pod filters after weeks of trying to get it right finally gave up and ordered a spanking new set of VM32 Mikuni's and some nice shiny billet velocity stacks from the USA.

They arrived a few weeks ago so in-between the rain im finally getting somewhere, not got them set up spot on yet but good enough for me to finally get out on it Its not fast but my god its fun to get back on a bike after all these years

A couple of pictures from today

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Andybarbet - 5/6/12 at 09:41 PM

Awesome

Daddylonglegs - 6/6/12 at 11:31 AM

^^^^^^^

Ditto!

locoR1 - 6/6/12 at 11:38 AM

Thanks.

scootz - 6/6/12 at 12:34 PM

Bloody hell

How have I missed this thread up till now!?

GOOD WORK FELLA!

jeffw - 6/6/12 at 01:56 PM

Looks lovely, well done.

D Beddows - 6/6/12 at 02:51 PM

That really is VERY impressive!!

perksy - 6/6/12 at 05:51 PM

Credit where its due that is Lovely

Well Done

Confused but excited. - 6/6/12 at 07:34 PM

Now it looks like a proper bike.
You must be well chuffed with yourself.
You should be.

Dualist - 27/9/12 at 07:03 PM

The bike looks amazing, would never have thought you could have made such a thing of beauty as this from what it was, great work mate.

BTW, tagging your offspring in her pj's on fb in that vid is priceless, good on you, lol.