Board logo

new phone time, which one?
franky - 13/3/12 at 11:03 AM

Its time for an upgrade, currently got a iphone 3gs(which will be for sale!).

I'm currently drawn towards the following...

Sony xperia S
Nokia Lumina 800/900
Galaxy s2

Any other ideas? The Sony phone seems the stand out one as its only released today.

HowardB - 13/3/12 at 11:09 AM

none of them for me, I want a proper key pad,..

however they have differing operating systems as well as different manufacturers,.. we have a few windoze phones at work, they are not well liked,. android seems to be the flavour of choice for the capable, and the ifone4 for the style concious,...

hth

franky - 13/3/12 at 11:11 AM

I don't want another Iphone, fancy a change!

40inches - 13/3/12 at 11:28 AM

I have the Galaxy S2, don't see how you can get better. Bonus is the Android market, beats the crap out of iTunes, I am beginning to regret getting the iPad instead of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, after only 3 days
Look here and here

[Edited on 13-3-12 by 40inches]

loggyboy - 13/3/12 at 11:33 AM

Galaxy seem very good, but also look at HTC, without a doubt the Iphones closest compeitor. Having been a Nokia man for many a year I was hoping the Lumia might be a way back for them, but the reviews Ive read have been dire. Ive had 3 windose based HTCs now and been very happy with them, however I will be moving over to android later this year to benefit from the better apps available.

bigrich - 13/3/12 at 11:59 AM

Very recently upgraded to a Galaxy S2. Very very impressed so far

nick205 - 13/3/12 at 12:07 PM

I have (work) HTC HD2 running Windows - it's functional, but you get the feeling the phone is capable of a lot more than the OS.

SWMBO has HTC Desire running Android - it's nicer to use and much better catered for in terms of apps.

If changing I think I'd be heading for HTC again, but with Android.

mcerd1 - 13/3/12 at 12:57 PM

whats the battry life like on these things ?

I've been due a new phone for a while, but I can't make my mind up
(got a old nokia N86 at the moment - its slow but the battery can last me upto 2 weeks)

[Edited on 13/3/2012 by mcerd1]

mangogrooveworkshop - 13/3/12 at 12:58 PM

I phone all the way I would go for the four.
Once you have had apple its so hard to use anything else.
I'm forced to use a twatberry that is really frustrating with its silly small buttons

Apple all the way

Wicked gadget with a giff gaff sim

mangogrooveworkshop - 13/3/12 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

I've been due a new phone for a while, but I can't make my mind up
(got a old nokia N86 at the moment - its slow but the battery can last me upto 2 weeks)

[Edited on 13/3/2012 by mcerd1]

I can remember when your phone was the dogs bollox and you were the man

loggyboy - 13/3/12 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Generally any smartphone is terrible compared to standard mobiles. If you use for a few calls and texts then expect 3-5 days. Use for lots of calls or for internet etc (the whole point of smartphone i guess) then expect 2-3 days for a nice new phone, slowly dropping over a year to 1-2 days! A new battery after a year or so is a good investment.

vanepico - 13/3/12 at 02:43 PM

I remember when phones cost £89.99, not bloody £500!

And I was alright with the one I had, despite it being pretty crap! 10 years later I have a nokia 5230 :p and can't stand how terrible it is. The only problem with phones getting more complex with more features is you expect them to work, which we are still a fair way off! I'd get anything other than an iphone, even the crappy first gen ones still go for over £100 on ebay which is pathetic, considering they don't even work.

By far the best looking phone I've had is the motorola razr :p

[Edited on 13/3/12 by vanepico]

greglogan - 13/3/12 at 02:53 PM

I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S to an S2. The difference is remarkable. Much quicker to respond doesn't freeze or lockup. Battery life is much better but still only managing 20ish hours. I'm a fairly heavy user on voice but if you use 3g a lot then that will eat your battery life. Wifi and Bluetooth on constantly btw.

Greg.

brookie - 13/3/12 at 05:08 PM

s2

franky - 13/3/12 at 05:16 PM

Had a look at about 20 phones today, the Sony xperia S was the stand out one, coupled with the fact it only came out today. I did like the s2 but the sony's screen is better and its got a few useful extra bits on it too.

Makes the iphone 4s look like the year old phone it is It even manages to keep its signal!

Oh £15 a month cheaper than an iphone too!