Board logo

You drive a what now?!
scoobyis2cool - 3/9/04 at 05:12 PM

I was just wondering how everyone else describes their car to people who know nothing about cars. I gave up long ago telling people it was an MK Indy, and Caterham or Westfield doesn't seem to ring any bells with most people. I've taken to saying it's a two seater open topped sports car, but half the people in my road are still convinced I've ripped a load of sierras apart to build another sierra!?!

Oh, and my Mum still insists on telling her friends I'm building a Caterham Westfield...

So how do you describe yours?

Pete

liam.mccaffrey - 3/9/04 at 05:17 PM

i tell people i'm building a kit car,
it seems to cover all bases, if they're interested they ask which one or type, and if they're not they usually at least understand what i am on about

scoobyis2cool - 3/9/04 at 05:20 PM

Yeah I tried kit car for a while, but people seemed to think that meant it was radio controlled. Took me ages to explain to them it was a full sized car, then they wanted to know what it looked like and I was back to square one...

Pete

Benzine - 3/9/04 at 05:43 PM

Maybe we should all make some kind of powerpoint presentation for people then take laptops with us everywhere we go

I love speed :-P - 3/9/04 at 05:51 PM

i just say i am scratch bulding a lotus 11, they reply which kit is it, is it a westie, no its scratch built, >show them a picture< its nothing like i thought it would b, i though it would b like a 7

disclamer, i didnt do the body

john_p_b - 3/9/04 at 06:01 PM

generaly tell them it's a kit car and leave it at that, if they have a clue and are interested then out comes the mobile phone with the piccies on it.

Viper - 3/9/04 at 07:35 PM

a pile 'o' shite.

stephen_gusterson - 3/9/04 at 09:39 PM

i tell em that im building a morgan look alike based on plans fpr a lotus seven, and that its from bare steel and not a kit.

most people understand that, but that have had 4+ years to grasp the concept!

atb

steve

robinbastd - 3/9/04 at 09:43 PM

Mine's a Tifino,cos I'm f##ked if I know!

alfasudsprint - 4/9/04 at 11:23 AM

I remember a student of mine who wrote a composition for an English school, the student wrote about me, said I was building a car....the teacher crossed it out cos she thought it was impossibble! Usually say say am building a car, thats enough to get them asking...the surprise is always good fun!

phelpsa - 4/9/04 at 04:23 PM

I say I am building a car and thats enough to get most people laughing. Out comes the phone again and then it's 'your only 13, I bet your lying'. Then I get dad to back me up and then they shut up and sound interested.

Graceland - 5/9/04 at 09:49 AM

folk ask me what i'm building and i say

"which one"

then then ask

"what you got"

i tell em

"lots of metal"

hehe - keeps me amused looking at their surprised faces