Board logo

OT - fixing a tele to a chimney in rented house
Dangle_kt - 16/11/12 at 11:31 PM

In true locost style we have a luxobarge style tele (one of them massive CRT ones) but I'm considering an LCD tele (40 inch ish) mounted on the chimney breast, but its a newish house and the chimney is plasterboarded over, and I can't find any studs - tapping seems to change pitch in patches rather than in vertical strips like i'd expect...

I have no idea how the wall is structured, only that it has a fire in the fire place currently, so must have some form of brick/breeze block behind the plaster board.

With it being a rented house, cutting out massive chunks of plaster board to fix the wall mount wont fly.

So I'm after advice from people who have trod this path before, what is the best way to fix the mount? I imagine drilling through into the breeze block? then some form of anchor bolts into the breeze block? But how far in is safe - we dont use the fire often, but I dont want to gas us to death either!

FANKS!

[Edited on 16/11/12 by Dangle_kt]

I predict a Riot - 16/11/12 at 11:40 PM

If when you tap you are getting a patchy solid then hollow feel you have what is known as a 'dot and dab' constructed wall. The plasterboard is stuck to the wall with random dots of a plaster style adhesive.

You need to get a mounting bracket with a large surface area and multiple fixing points. On my 42" TV I have at least 12 fixings drilled into the dense dotted areas.

Forgot to mention fix it with 4" number 12 gauge screws and raw plugs.

For good measure I would also apply an instant grip adhesive to the back of the mounting plate.

Regards

Adrian

[Edited on 16-11-12 by I predict a Riot]

Dangle_kt - 17/11/12 at 12:05 AM

brilliant - thanks for clarifying what type of wall it is!

I;ve done some googling and a dryline pro kit seems the best answer

http://www.drylinepro.com/dryline-pro-for-wall-mounting-tvs.html

Really appreciate the steer!

splitrivet - 17/11/12 at 09:40 AM

Depends how thick the dab is, I'd drill a pilot first just to see how deep it is then long screws and rawlplugs. Wouldnt usegrab adhesive on the bracket as its not going to do anything other than make a right mess when you try to take the bracket off.
Cheers,
Bob

owelly - 17/11/12 at 09:46 AM

I'd consider attaching a piece of 12mm plywood to the wall first so you can rawlplug and screw into the dabs and then attach your bracket to the plywood.

nick205 - 17/11/12 at 09:49 AM

AS above, drill a pilot hole or two to check the gap between the plasterboard and blocks behind - expect 1/2" at most. Then just fix with screws and Rawl type plugs. It should be OK spread over a large plate area, but do bear in mind if you tighten the screws too much you will be pulling the plasterboard toward the block wall and it can crack the plaster/plasterboard - learnt the hard way

AndyW - 17/11/12 at 09:49 AM

Why not just put it on a tv stand. Saves alot of messing about. Also when you come to remove tv from wall you will have to make good to the same standard as before. Landlords in new builds can be very awkward when it comes to holes in the wall. I am......

Slimy38 - 17/11/12 at 10:05 AM

I have to go with the TV stand. And don't forget, you're used to a CRT that is maybe a foot or so off the ground. If you go and mount an LCD halfway up the wall, you'll have neckache in no time, especially if you're not sitting that far back.

I've never quite understood the 'fashion' of having a TV mounted where a picture or mirror might go, nor for that matter the need to go for really big TV's (60 inches and onwards). It's nice to be able to push it further away than a CRT can go, but that's about it.

Dangle_kt - 17/11/12 at 10:24 AM

My wife bought 3 new sofas (it's a big room), one is a corner one - I told her to check it will work in the room with the right orientation... She didn't and now we have to have the corner couch in a really stupid spot for the current tv. The chimney breast is the only place it can go now and be able to use the sofas!

Plus we have two young kids, and they would knock it over on a stand...

Cheers the advice folks.

andrew.carwithen - 17/11/12 at 10:57 AM

I mounted my 47" LCD tv to the recessed wall to one side of the chimney breast (using a cantilever mount) so it sits just above a sideboard.
This means it can be mounted lower than it would have otherwise been above the fire on the breast itself and with no risk of potential heat damage from the fire. The sideboard also hides all the cables behind it.
The cantilever mount means I can pull it out from just 6" off the wall to over 2ft and thus beyond the chimney breast. I can then swivel and tilt it to give a very good viewing angle. Mount was around £30 on ebay. PLASMA LCD LED 3D TV WALL MOUNT BRACKET TILT SWIVEL 32 40 42 46 48 50+

[Edited on 17/11/12 by andrew.carwithen]

[Edited on 17/11/12 by andrew.carwithen]

Jasper - 17/11/12 at 11:03 AM

Be VERY careful not to mount it to high, that's why TV stands are low, you do not want to be looking up at a TV. That's why I've never understood people who put them above the fireplace. You want you TV at the same height as your head when sitting on your sofa/chair.

Really, TV stand is the best way to go, and you've got somewhere for your boxes underneath.

blakep82 - 17/11/12 at 01:00 PM

these things are good

my dad has but a faily heavey cupboard thing on a fairly thin plasterboard wall, and its still there years laster only using 2 of these. 4 or more, and i'd say you'll be sorted

http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/plasterboard-fixings.html

Peteff - 17/11/12 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Be VERY careful not to mount it to high, that's why TV stands are low, you do not want to be looking up at a TV. That's why I've never understood people who put them above the fireplace. You want you TV at the same height as your head when sitting on your sofa/chair.

Really, TV stand is the best way to go, and you've got somewhere for your boxes underneath.

I'm in this camp as well, we visited someone last week and their TV is on the chimney breast above the fire. It was a right pain in the neck to try to watch it and made worse by the smallish room where you could not get far enough away to avoid a crick in the neck.

morcus - 17/11/12 at 09:10 PM

As Above, and the last thing I'd want to do is fix a mounting bracket to the wall of a rented house.

JoelP - 17/11/12 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
these things are good

my dad has but a faily heavey cupboard thing on a fairly thin plasterboard wall, and its still there years laster only using 2 of these. 4 or more, and i'd say you'll be sorted

http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/plasterboard-fixings.html

Dont do it! That is not at all suitable for a tv, for a few reasons! The screws will reach the blockwork and push the plug out of the plaster, and it is not remotely strong enough to take the load. You can hang kitchen units with them because the unit pulls straight down the wall - a tv bracket will pivot and pull it straight out.

As per the first reply, 4" screws into the blockwork, being careful not to overtighten. When you put the wall plug in, put the screw in and use a hammer to push it back into the block.

[Edited on 17/11/12 by JoelP]

DanP - 17/11/12 at 09:57 PM

Rigifix fixings - they go through to the brickwork and will hold 100 kilos per screw, I have hung a 30kg mirror on a dot and dab wall and also used them for curtain poles. They are amazing, I was terrified of even putting up a shelf on my paper walls having previously lived in a properly constructed brick walled house but these are great!

Dangle_kt - 19/11/12 at 07:19 PM

cheers folks - I went with the dryline pro kit - was £9.99 for 8 screws, but the tv is up and solid as a rock and the MASSIVE mirror i've been avoiding doing for 18 months is too!

Really really simple, drilled one hole, screwed the plug in, screw in DONE.

I;d recommed them, 4 screws were tested to 200kgs and they print that on the packaging so much be confident in them.