Board logo

Variac
carlknight1982 - 27/1/13 at 06:46 PM

Can anyone think of a use for a variac? I've "inherited" one with some stuff I brought its brand new and rs list them at £399, before I go to he trouble of testing it I'm curious if anyone can think of a use for it

ashg - 27/1/13 at 07:26 PM

I will take it if you don't want it? How big is it?

carlknight1982 - 27/1/13 at 07:41 PM

10 amp

Will test it this week n let u knw if it's working n we can go from there as I need to recoupe some cash

theprisioner - 27/1/13 at 07:50 PM

I ued to use one at work, very useful for product testing and repair of switch mode PSU's

* Most variacs are variable transformers that can generate up to and beyond mains voltage.

* Some variacs can be followed by an isolating transformer which allows you to safely work on switch mode PSU's

Some people use them for running foreign voltages and stick a bolt thru the adjustment knob.

BenB - 27/1/13 at 08:00 PM

Useful for foam wire cutting. As long as you keep the volts too low. Otherwise the wire melts and you get electrocuted. Still if used with caution very handy.

liam.mccaffrey - 27/1/13 at 08:00 PM

isn't there a fella on youtube doing mad "experiments" with one of ??

HowardB - 27/1/13 at 09:10 PM

I have one it can be used for all sorts of things, but variable AC voltage is it's main use. Slowing motors, dimming lights, creating 110v etc,...

gazza285 - 27/1/13 at 09:26 PM

Used a lot by valve amp repair people for bringing voltages up slowly, useful for diagnostics.

Confused but excited. - 27/1/13 at 10:00 PM

£399!

I've got two in the garage that I've had for years. Hmmm I feel an ebay moment coming on.

smart51 - 27/1/13 at 10:19 PM

I used to use one for testing that new products would work at the full range of European mains voltage: 200V - 264.V

If you have old euro 220V devices, you can use a variac to drop our 240V a bit.

You could use one to adjust the temperature of a soldering iron (or anything else that gets hot) or for dimming some types of light bulb.

ashg - 27/1/13 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Used a lot by valve amp repair people for bringing voltages up slowly, useful for diagnostics.

Bingo

I have one that is pretty old mainly use it for playing around with my amps and little projects. I'm just being greedy and fancy another one