Board logo

UK Energy prices question
Slater - 30/6/15 at 01:07 PM

Folks, I have just moved back to the UK, Dorset and wife is setting up suppliers for Gas and Electricity, we are going to pay by monthly direct debit, but we have been quoted the following average prices for a 4 bedroom detached house with 2 adults, 2 kids: gas central heating/hot water, gas hob, electric oven.

ANNUAL GAS CHARGE (ESTIMATE) = £1,562 (so approx £130 per month)

ANNUAL ELECTRIC CHARGE (ESTIMATE) = £1,201 (so approx £100 per month)

Are these figures about right?

This is a very expensive country!

Angel Acevedo - 30/6/15 at 01:29 PM

Don't despair...
At least minimum wage is a LOT BETTER than here in Mexico.
Here in Mexico is about 4.5 quid PER DAY!!
Yes per day.
I do quite some above it so I don't complain, yet, I still pay about 120 Quid per month on electricity...

tims31 - 30/6/15 at 01:36 PM

That does seem expensive to me. You have the same spec as me and mine is about £120 a month for both and I've just swapped and got a better rate than that.

Have a look atichooser

coozer - 30/6/15 at 01:41 PM

Well depends what your usage is...

We have a 4 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms a mig welder, lathe, compressor, mean saw bench. 3hp motors on them..

Just the 2 of us but grandbairn stays quite a lot and loves splashing about in the bath, runs a 42" plasma and dvd.

We have a big american style fridge and a secondary freezer. Combi gas central heating, gas hob electric oven.

3 years ago we were with nPower... ditched them for southern electric.. ditch them last year for First Utility...

Our bill has gone from £200 a month with nPower to around £60/month with first utility..

Its a dual fuel paperless bill on a fixed rate tarrif. We get a email every month asking for meter readings and get the bill based on what we put in.

The bill for May this year was £58.91, £43.01 for electric and £15.90 for gas.

I must add we have a log burner in the front room so do not depend on the heating so much. Couple that with the 4" of kingspan lining the place and we are toasty year round.

I would recommend First Utility all day long...

Charlie_Zetec - 30/6/15 at 01:57 PM

3 bed semi with all the workshop goodies, American fridge/freezer, 50" plasma, Xbox, tropical fish tank, working from home, and we pay £95 a month for gas & leccy with British Gas dual fuel, and usually a few quid up at the end of the year.

But it can vary plenty depending on how "energy efficient" ie. insulated walls/roof, efficient boiler etc. is.

Slater - 30/6/15 at 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, the house is only 14 yrs old so should be efficient, we are not heavy energy users ( I don't have a welder or other workshop toys) and we like a "cooler" house.

I think we will review the amounts as we go along, but its hard to tell at this time of year with no heating on.

In South Africa our elec meter was broken, and by passed by the landlord, nobody bothered to fix it, despite plenty of reminders.

Benzine - 30/6/15 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
In South Africa our elec meter was broken, and by passed by the landlord, nobody bothered to fix it, despite plenty of reminders.

1. Stay in SA
2. Grow cannabis with free leccy
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

sdh2903 - 30/6/15 at 02:36 PM

18 year old 4 bed detached. 2 adults 3 kids. High usage and we have electric underfloor heating in the conservatory but we have had a very efficient new boiler fitted and every light in the house is led.

Our average direct debit over last 12 months with OVO energy is £148 for both fuels.

[Edited on 30/6/15 by sdh2903]

cryoman1965 - 30/6/15 at 03:12 PM

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

I used this site. With eon, 3 bed detached £85 per mth both fuels on DD. One year deal.

Cheers
N

JoelP - 30/6/15 at 07:53 PM

I'm currently paying 70 a month for both. 2 bed semi and we like it cool.