Board logo

Whats Reading Like (the place !)
Volvorsport - 31/8/15 at 03:41 PM

Ok , may have a new job after years of torture under dirty fecking buses .

BUT its in Reading .....

if one was to move to Reading , what would one expect ?

David Jenkins - 31/8/15 at 04:01 PM

Bland commuterland... and, I suspect, an expensive place to buy a house.

Background: I used to have to visit a company outpost in Reading, and always hated the boring walk from the station to the office... although the office was next to the river, which was nice...

ianm67 - 31/8/15 at 04:03 PM

Well, after living here for 48 years I've just about had enough of the place...... The positives:

The not so positives:

Most people who live elsewhere and come to Reading seem to love the place, lots of the people who live here want to leave. Go figure.........

Volvorsport - 31/8/15 at 04:11 PM

and I suppose property is more expensive if you live on the outskirts or within commuting distance of reading ...?

ianm67 - 31/8/15 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
and I suppose property is more expensive if you live on the outskirts or within commuting distance of reading ...?

No, not necessarily....... Thatcham & Newbury are 20 minutes away by train and property will be 25% cheaper......

CosKev3 - 31/8/15 at 05:40 PM

My daughters there in uni,she likes it but really is just like a long stay holiday maker!

Must be some nice rich property owners there,as her room costs £400 a month and there are seven students in her house!

theconrodkid - 31/8/15 at 05:46 PM

ask "pewe" ,he lives there

mark chandler - 31/8/15 at 05:59 PM

Houses are cheaper the other side of the m4, that's not cheap just cheaper, Tadley where I live and surrounding villages are nice, Bramley has trains every 20 minutes into Reading so if you are close to Reading station not an issue, traffic in Reading is horrendous!

Volvorsport - 31/8/15 at 09:33 PM

its not directly in reading , north of the M4 , just off the A4 .....

ianm67 - 1/9/15 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
its not directly in reading , north of the M4 , just off the A4 .....

Whereabouts? Between Reading and Maidenhead?

mark chandler - 1/9/15 at 08:06 AM

In that case traffic should not be such an issue, the A4 around here is not that bad, get towards Maidenhead and it creates issues again.

Still expensive housing as an hour to London.

Comuting to circuits is okay, hop on the m4 and most stuff is three hours away if that's your thing, I'm more than happy living here, nice friendly people in the villages.

loggyboy - 1/9/15 at 09:09 AM

I worked in Reading at a few places in early 2000s, with a commute from Basingstoke, I dislike the town immensely, much prefer Basingstoke (so thats how bad it is!!).
Town is not built around cars, ring road (IDR) is too small, too close to centre and always busy. Shopping isnt great considering size of centre (Oracle), the out of town places are either busy and/or hard to get to. Also lots of immigrants, like London, so you feel like a foreigner in your own country. Outlying villages are nice, but most outlying villages are a lot nicer than the nearest town!

GaryM - 1/9/15 at 05:31 PM

Why not visit the place for a weekend and make your own mind up?

Badger_McLetcher - 1/9/15 at 08:01 PM

Currently I live in a village just south of Reading for work; it's a bit meh. As said before property is expensive, it's OK for nights out but nothing to write home about. Traffic is diabolical in the town itself.