Board logo

Website advice
mk85 - 5/2/16 at 07:13 PM

I have my business website up a while now but had to remove most of the content after dispute with a previous employer.

I have now built up enough photos to revamp the website. And wondering what people's views and opinions are of my current website layout. Like ease of navigation and content

finesse masonry

Thanks

LBMEFM - 5/2/16 at 08:11 PM

I hope you can take constructed criticism, whilst it says what you do together with some nice pics it somehow lacks that "wow" factor. I am no expert and I am not sure how you improve it but that said, your work looks superb which should be enough to sell your company and your obvious skills.

mk85 - 5/2/16 at 09:37 PM

No offense taken. That is something I do want to try get on the redesign a big wow soon as it landed on.

Thanks for your input

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
I hope you can take constructed criticism, whilst it says what you do together with some nice pics it somehow lacks that "wow" factor. I am no expert and I am not sure how you improve it but that said, your work looks superb which should be enough to sell your company and your obvious skills.

Smoking Frog - 5/2/16 at 09:58 PM

Although I like the content I would split it into different pages instead of just the one. This will make your site easier to edit, load faster and will be more search engine friendly. Nice work BTW.

scott h - 5/2/16 at 11:01 PM

As others have said it is functional but does not grab you. Perhaps more colour, the plain black on white type face makes it look uninspiring so maybe try a coloured background or make the background a photo.

Hodor - 5/2/16 at 11:34 PM

To be honest, I quite like it. Simple and clean. The only thing I would comment on is that the first thing that I read at the top should be a statement of exactly what you do. The text launches into who you are, but the site needs a simple statement so it is crystal clear what you do. I don't want to read half the page before deciding you can do what I need, if you see what I mean.

skydivepaul - 6/2/16 at 12:16 AM

Plenty of good content and some good pictures
Needs to be more more mobile friendly
Most people Google from their smart phone nowadays and the site is a bit difficult to navigate from your phone
I had to mess about a bit to get from the pictures back to the main page
Most punters would have got bored at that stage and gone to another site

tegwin - 6/2/16 at 12:24 AM

I'm tired so a quick comment, no offence intended....
(As an aside, I design websites for a living...or part of it so I arrogantly think I know what I'm on about..most of the time I don't)

Its simple and clean, I like it... The first image really doesn't do it for me... You need something bright that shows to the viewer what you do within a split second.... Photo of your masonry yard with someone chipping away at something... or laying some ornamental blocks on an old building.... the current photo says bugger all to me..

I would also argue that the font size is too big which makes reading it hard, justifying the text to the centre also doesn't help with the readers flow. Make it smaller and justify to the left (still in the centre of the page, just not "centered"

In my opinion the "information" section telling us what you do should be the first thing that comes up, split it into a grid with a photo of a fitting, restoration, window etc with a little description under each... that way I can instantly see what you do..

Then after that perhaps have an "about me" section... but to be honest your background, although impressive, is not what would sell your services to me... lots of photos of what you do would! (regarding text and images, less is more... pick the key images and text to condense what people are reading)

I recon with the above changes (smaller text, condensing the content) you should be able to halve the amount of scrolling needed

Adamirish - 6/2/16 at 01:03 AM

Agree with most of the above. I like the site in fact. But maybe split it up a bit so you can click on what you want to read. Into a photo archive, about you etc.

Also PLEASE fix the spelling mistakes. 'Yours' instead of 'years' etc. For me, that looks unprofessional. I'm not saying you are, I don't mean any offence by the way.

steve m - 6/2/16 at 09:16 AM

I like it,
its clean, and uncomplicated, like some other sites are not

perhaps smaller font, but apart from that keep it as it is

steve

mk85 - 7/2/16 at 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input everyone