Board logo

chainsaw safety course
theconrodkid - 15/8/16 at 01:33 PM

After being let down yet again for someone to decimate my 8 ft high hedge,i am thinking about getting a chainsaw and doing it myself. i have a hedge trimmer but the hedge just laughs at it.
i have been looking at safety courses and they are all for pro,s,anyone an idea where i may get basic safety instruction,i wont be putting on my high heels and chopping down trees any time soon,just trimming the hedge once or so a year .

I am in North Somerset btw.

[Edited on 15/8/16 by theconrodkid]

Irony - 15/8/16 at 02:30 PM

If you buy a Stihl then you should get very basic instruction from the supplier. I bought a still MS170 and it's the smallest Stihl but still has plenty of power. Enough for a hedge anyway!! In fact I think its a bit overpowered for a base model.

I tried in vain to find a basic safety course but they all seem to last days when all I wanted was a couple of hours tuition. I ended up watching all the safety videos on youtube. All the videos seemed to be geared towards larger saws as the problems are greatly magnified the bigger saw you have.

I would recommend a pair of chainsaw safety trousers. Screwfix do a cheap pair. But boy are they sweaty

nick205 - 15/8/16 at 03:31 PM

My Dad has a garden machinery business and offers such courses, but the wrong location for you. As above my first step would be personal protective equipment to reduce the risk of injury.

Digimon - 15/8/16 at 03:49 PM

Is this any good to you?

theconrodkid - 15/8/16 at 04:17 PM

Digimon,thanks for the vid ,seen loads on you tube but there is nothing like learning from an instructor really.nice tip for the trousers,got all the other gear already.
ill check for a still dealer in my area but being a screwfix fanboy,i would prob end up buying one from there.
thanks again chaps

blakep82 - 15/8/16 at 05:59 PM

Perhaps a local gardener tree surgeon type person could give you some instruction?