Board logo

Goodwood festival of Speed
belgian2b - 28/1/17 at 04:21 PM

Hello,

I was used to go to Stoneleigh Kit Car Show every year, but this year , we are thinking in going to Goodwood Festival of Speed.

I have been looking at the official website. There you can find lots of informations, but i would like to receive the advices of those who have been there :

We are planning to stay 2 days on site

- Should we buy admission and grandstands tickets ?
- About the grandstands : can we go in and out as we want , or should we stay to keep our place ?
- What are the best places to see there ?
- What is a must to see there ?
- As we won't be able to find a hotel close to the site, is it easy to get there on the day ( long queues ??)
- Is there a camping site close to the site?

Any advice is more then welcome,

Gerardo

StrikerChris - 28/1/17 at 05:37 PM

I went last year for the first time. You'll not be disappointed. We didn't have grandstand tickets,but if I were to go again I'd definitely look into it,especially if the weather isn't great,and if only to have somewhere to sit down for half an hour here and there (my dads not so good on his pins!).
We were staying in Chichester and the traffic was fairly heavy to be honest,but not terrible,there were tractors with trailers ferrying from the carparks to the entrance. The only thing I found slightly disappointing was the rally stage,but that may just have been luck of the draw,and the time we went that far.

Chris

jps - 28/1/17 at 06:10 PM

Have a search for previous threads, it's been discussed before more than once with good tips/feedback given. I wouldn't pay for grandstand myself but don't think the 'hill' action is all that. Overall the event is excellent though

bi22le - 28/1/17 at 06:29 PM

I stayed with a friend that was at the local uni so we didnt see much traffic.

I went for 3 days and would say they longer you can go for the better.

Day 1 - soaking up the lower pits and all of the show stands that are next to the sprint, obviously whatched some cars as well, but only from a standing point
Day 2- Grand stand pass. We barely moved all day from the seats as there is constantly something of interest going past. I think they are well worth the money and the only way to really appreciate the true speed of some of the cars. They are ballistic!
Day 3 - Anything we missed on the way up to the top and the top area. Rallying is up at the top and worth spending at least half a day at. Its not as big as the tarmac side of things but still epic. I will never forget watching Colin McRae in his Focus WRC.

By far the best thing about the whole FOS experience is how close and unpolished you can get to the cars. You can just look and touch the cars and if your bold enough, ask to sit in some. No barriers with 10ft perimeters. It is so relaxed and for the enthusiast.

Do it, its up there with going to the 'ring for a petrol head bucket list.