Board logo

Is it time for change
hearbear - 14/6/17 at 11:35 PM

After watching the dreadful fire in London and seeing all the hard working fire fighters who don't look for praise just getting on with their job, are these not the people who should be given some of the awards that get handed out each year instead of to all the pointless celebrities. I know I would rather see a fire fighter receive them rather than golden bollox and scarecrow wife or jug eared crisp muncher and the likes.

LBMEFM - 15/6/17 at 04:36 AM

Couldn't agree more hearbare, as you say all the unheard of "celebrities", pretentious actors, incompetent MP's and hyped up media nonsense dominates are newspapers and television, meanwhile these men and women go efficiently and quietly about their business saving lives and helping people in danger. Lets also not forget the wonderful doctors and nurses of the NHS who work tirelessly in situations like this. They get a fraction of the wages and none of the perks associated with the celebrities and MP's yet are are under constant threat of cut backs by governments and parasites trying to sue them.

LETS HAVE A NATIONAL DAY EVERY YEAR TO CELEBRATE THE EMERGENCY SERVICE HEROES

Mr Whippy - 15/6/17 at 05:50 AM

I do mind my fat boss who sat in an office all day reviewing engineering drawings actually complaining about the fire fighters going on strike the last time over pay. Seriously? they put their lives on the line everyday to save people and he thinks he deserves more pay than them, he was a dick though.

Also a lot of bull going on about how the cladding wasn't to blame etc yet it's so obvious the outside of the building is totally ablaze! why use foam in the panels at all? they could have used rock wool which is basically candy floss lava and completely fire retardant.

They'll be many worried about this as loads of buildings including here in Aberdeen that have been recently clad in this stuff.

SJ - 15/6/17 at 06:54 AM

I know that area and there are 4 or 5 buildings that look pretty much identical in the close vicinity that nobody has mentioned. I can't imagine there will be budget to sort that lot out.

knight19770 - 15/6/17 at 07:39 AM

It's ridiculous,

We are replacing the fire alarm systems in 15 multi's in Aberdeen and the local authority want them to alarm silently and alarm to the fire brigade! who then come out and decide if the building needs to be evacuated! Pretty sure this will change as the local council are going to be under pressure after this.

nick205 - 15/6/17 at 08:01 AM

I agree wholeheartedly

The emergency services put a massive amount of their time and effort into our safety, often for little financial reward or recognition. Having been cared for immensely well over the past couple of years myself I truly take my hat off to the ladies and gents who do the work. In talking to them they don't seem to do it for the hanks, but more because they care about helping others.

Seeing the tower block news yesterday on online and TV news I find it staggering in 2017 that things like that can happen. I just hope it triggers better thought and money spending processes for other buildings.

sam919 - 15/6/17 at 08:55 AM

If something doesnt come from this to improve standards to prevent this from happening i'd be surprised. Its the usual though, wait until the shit hits the fan then act.

High rises need proper on duty caretakers, ......paid decently and a legal requirement, fantastic job for an ex fireman! It should be a legal requirement to employ the right people to be on site. Dare is say, but regular inspections, electrical testing of items.....that sort of thing. We do it on offices, vessels, platforms etc etc these building need the same level of care and constant attention.

Lets face it, they've squeezed 'x' times the amount of people into a small footprint so a good idea theoretically but with this efficiency should come higher responsibility you cant have all your cake an eat it, i fear with all these cuts though the pennies wont be about.

A terrible event.

motorcycle_mayhem - 15/6/17 at 10:48 AM

Yep, let's start with the 'celebrities', the air-headed image obsessed. Obliterating the Radio 1 parasites would be a superb step, Radio 1 should simply be a commercial enterprise, viable too, the kids will buy into the tripe without hesitation.
Continuing with the TV dross would alleviate a fantastic budget. The end result might be a few thousand 'graduates' out of a 'job', but surely those media studies certificate holders could be re-educated/skilled.

Then we could have a budget (and time) for the important things, things related to health, security and general well being.

Back to reality and rewards for failure, greed, bloated salaries for the non essential, etc., etc.

loggyboy - 15/6/17 at 10:52 AM

http://www.itv.com/prideofbritain

02GF74 - 18/6/17 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Yep, let's start with the 'celebrities', the air-headed image obsessed. Obliterating the Radio 1 parasites would be a superb step, Radio 1 should simply be a commercial enterprise, viable too, the kids will buy into the tripe without hesitation.
Continuing with the TV dross would alleviate a fantastic budget. The end result might be a few thousand 'graduates' out of a 'job', but surely those media studies certificate holders could be re-educated/skilled.

Then we could have a budget (and time) for the important things, things related to health, security and general well being.

Ain't going to happen. There are many people willing to pay £ 1000 a year to watch 22 men chase after a ball, I can bet very few of those would give that up so the money goes to the public services mention, likewise those that religiously buy Hello! (or other celebrity nonsense magazine), sit glued watching X factor type shows etc.

Simon - 18/6/17 at 08:04 PM

While I agree all the services are not well paid, think about where the money goes from their budgets. Eg a bloke I work with was a retained fireman - probably got called to an incident once a week for about 20 years. He left because of the politics.

A few years after he left, the fire service said they'd like to make a contribution to his pension fund.

£60,000.

And the private sector wonders where all their taxes go.

Wheels244 - 18/6/17 at 10:47 PM

Hi Chaps

I don't bandy it around too often on here or anywhere else - I've been a full time firefighter for the last 25 years.
Thanks for your kind words on behalf of my colleagues in LFB who did an amazing job in awful circumstances.
I know only too well the physical punishment they will have taken, the physiological trauma will come later to some.
From time to time, we see things that can't be unseen. I've had friends suffer from PTSD, thankfully not too many - unfortunately one committed suicide.
I don't intend to get into the political arguments of cuts to the fire service and other emergency services by successive governments, it's for individuals to decide whether you think they are right or not - you can guess my views.

I've got a couple of mates in LFB - they won't be going short of a pint next time I see them.

Stay safe.

Rob