Board logo

Ebay sale, am I being unreasonable
r1_pete - 21/3/18 at 02:28 PM

I sold a car radio cd on ebay a few weeks ago, unit was perfect, all iso plugs etc intact.

Buyer contacted me saying it didn’t remember stations, I told him the yellow wire needs full time 12v for the memory, but, if it doesnt work I will give him a full refund, inc return postage, providing the plugs have not been cut off.

He has raised a case, I have explained again, no issue refunding providing the wires arent cut, ebay seem to be supporting me, and despite me offering to send him a post label he is refusing to send it back.

I am 99.9% sure he’s cut the wiring, in which case he’s either wrecked it himself or not wired it proplerly, either way am I being unreasonable wanting to see it is intact before refunding??

[Edited on 21/3/18 by r1_pete]

40inches - 21/3/18 at 02:38 PM

I think you have done everything you can. The ball is in the purchasers court.
Looks like he wants to keep the unit AND get his money back

[Edited on 21-3-18 by 40inches]

alistairolsen - 21/3/18 at 02:50 PM

Nope, you've been more than reasonable.

Sadly, it is highly likely that ebay/paypal will take his side and you'll wind up out of pocket for the postage.

loggyboy - 21/3/18 at 03:02 PM

Yeah you have done all you should. I wouldnt have even entertained a refund if it was a used private sale.

theduck - 21/3/18 at 03:12 PM

I think you've been more than fair!

r1_pete - 21/3/18 at 04:45 PM

Cheers guys, strangely ebay haven’t jumped to his defense, wonder if he’s done similar before??

I suggested he send me a photograph of his installation wiring, nothing back for a couple of days....

James24785 - 21/3/18 at 07:36 PM

He'll have the red and yellow wires the wrong way round

steve m - 21/3/18 at 07:48 PM

Perhaps hes colour blind, or just a kn0b

Slimy38 - 21/3/18 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Looks like he wants to keep the unit AND get his money back

This 100%. My wife sells plenty of stuff and she's had people trying it on. She's more than happy to refund if the item is returned, none of them actually do.

nick205 - 22/3/18 at 09:57 AM

To the OP - from your post it sounds to me like you've been more than fair to the buyer. I would have the exact same approach myself in wanting the unit returned for me to check first prior to refunding the buyer.

I hold the view that when buying 2nd hand goods it's buyer beware!

WallerZero - 22/3/18 at 12:33 PM

If its broken and doesn't work, why does he want to keep it??

I'm sure with eBay cases you can provide a returns label for him to return the item for the refund to be executed once received, it also had a deadline at which point eBay close it anyway if its not returned. Sounds very much like he is chancing a refund and keeping the item....

owelly - 22/3/18 at 12:39 PM

Where does the buyer live? One of us could pop round and check out his wiring.....