Board logo

Anodising services?
tegwin - 3/7/19 at 06:37 AM

I am in need of anodising some aluminium components. Anyone know any good quality outfits that do anodising via post without charging silly money?

Alternatively, I’m in Bristol. Anyone know any local conpanies?

Theshed - 3/7/19 at 08:18 AM

I have used a company near me in London who were good but had a £75 minimum charge. That drove me to going DIY. It really is a straight forward process. All you need is acid (drain cleaner from B & Q or battery acid) a bit of old lead flashing and a power supply (some but not all battery chargers are suitable. You can buy dye on e-bay for very little. Making sure that you have a good connection with the part is the only difficult bit.

Sorry that is not a response to your question.

A few pics of my attempts below

Description
Description

Description
Description

and the set up

anodising tank
anodising tank

tegwin - 3/7/19 at 08:40 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'd love to go the DIY route but as this is for work I think they would go nuts if I started buying battery acid

SteveWalker - 3/7/19 at 04:50 PM

Set yourself up as a supplier to the company and do it in your spare time at home to make a bit on the side

[Edited on 3/7/19 by SteveWalker]

coyoteboy - 3/7/19 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Set yourself up as a supplier to the company and do it in your spare time at home to make a bit on the side

[Edited on 3/7/19 by SteveWalker]

Can't do this unless you supply others too, this was being used as a way for companies to force staff into doing overtime outside reasonable limits so the govt cracked down on it.