Board logo

Anyone live near Batley Yorks
russbost - 25/10/20 at 10:41 AM

Morning, just after a bit of local info basically, our son, currently living in Little London area of Leeds is looking at moving to Carlinghowe area of Batley, specifically South Bank Rd. - looks to be a really nice area, but his missus looked up crime figures for Batley & they were pretty grim.

Someone else who used to live in the area has said Carlinghowe is ok, but mid/lower Batley is a bit of a dive

Just looking for any local info/experiences, I'm sure some of you must have lived in or around the area - any comments/info gratefully received!

Cheers & thanks in advance

[Edited on 25/10/20 by russbost]

indykid - 25/10/20 at 11:42 PM

My first question would be what made him choose Batley specifically? Also, did they look up crime figures for where they live now? I can't imagine they're much better!

As with most places, the nice bits are always in close vicinity of the not so nice bits, but the upside of that is that it keeps the nice bits very good value.

SWMBO grew up on Carlinghow Lane and later lived on Coal Pit Mews. I don't think they ever had any major troubles, certainly none that she's told me about. The Wilton estate's not far away which is certainly less salubrious, but I don't think they saw much trouble, though note this was about 10 years ago. If they have young kids, they might want to have a think about what schools are about, given the local intakes, but Heckmondwike Grammar isn't far away for decent secondary school (if they're academically inclined and can pass the entrance exam).

As you've already gathered, compared to other bits of Batley, Carlinghow would be one of the better bits, but depending on why they chose Batley, there might be other choices that might suit. I'd duck Batley Carr at any rate.

At least they'd be close to Tesco and Ikea...

russbost - 26/10/20 at 08:21 AM

I think you're right re the crime figures, in that Little Leeds is actually worse than Batley - they happen to live on a rather nice little estate there & have never had any trouble.

Reason for choosing Batley/Carlinghowe is simply that he works as a vet in Morley, she works in research at Leeds Uni, for the foreseeable future & this will almost certainly cover the years after Covid, she will be working mainly from home & will only occasionally have to travel into the Uni in Leeds, good local transport links were a requirement. They want to be close enough to Morley that he can cycle in unless weather is truly dire

One of the nicer areas seems to be Pudsey, property certainly seems at a premium, but that would make for a rather long cycle to work

Looking for something 3/4 bed, detached, preferably non estate with a bit of space around it - there's a bungalow in South Bank Rd which ticks all the boxes, it's surprising how few properties there are around that actually aren't on an estate or mini estate position, they also don't want to be close to a busy main or secondary Rd.

What you're saying echoes our feelings that it's the immediate area around you that you need to worry about rather than the area as a whole, but we only know the whole of the Leeds area in the vaguest fashion from when we visit them