Board logo

Atom's VTEC engine?
Alez - 20/9/05 at 06:57 AM

What is it? It's a 2 litre 4 cyl, but they are claiming 220 bhp. Is that factory performance or is it a preparation?

I'm kind of dreaming about putting one of these in a MX-5 because the car is fantastic but it doesn't move!

Cheers,

Alex

rug - 20/9/05 at 08:48 AM

I belive it's a supercharged Civic Type-R engine. That's what I think I remember from Top Gear

/Carl

MonkeyHunter - 20/9/05 at 08:55 AM

I think the supercharged version of the atom is 300bhp.

I think the 220bhp is the i-vtec engine from an accord.

Or you could go for the S2000 engine @ nearly 240bhp from a N/A engine

S2000
======
Displacement (cc) 1997
Maximum power (PS @ rpm) 240@8300
Maximum torque (Nm @ rpm) 208@7500

James - 20/9/05 at 09:51 AM

As Rug says:

The atom has a 300BHP supercharged Civic Type-R engine.

Cheers,
James

Gav - 20/9/05 at 10:22 AM

On piston heads their is an ariel section http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=79&h=0

quite a lot of interesting stuff

ned - 20/9/05 at 11:36 AM

the atom uses the honda k20a engine which is out of the latest civic type-r. the k20a engine has more tuning potential than the s2000 engine, the k20a engine is being used more in motorsport than teh s2000 engine i understand. the 300bhp is supercharged but the naturally aspirated versions come in 197bhp uk spec and 220bhp jap spec which is what most people are using in racing and the i believe the atom aswell.

Ned.

Alez - 20/9/05 at 12:20 PM

Thank you everyone!

Mr G - 20/9/05 at 04:20 PM

Won't you have problems with engine rotation if its a honda k20a attached to an mx5 box (or any standard rwd box for that matter)?

I.e 5 reverse and 1 forward gear?

G

[Edited on 20/9/05 by Mr G]

Mark18 - 20/9/05 at 07:45 PM

You want a mazda rotary engine in your mx-5 . As far as I know the mx5 box bolts up if you use the rx7 input shaft.

Mark

Alez - 21/9/05 at 03:17 PM

Noooo The whole point was that I love VTEC engines.. as much as I love the MX-5 mk1.. so I may well think of a different engine.. or maybe a different car!

Engines hmm, that rotary one (RX-8), or maybe the Honda S2000 one (may have the same problem as the Civic Type R one, ie wrong direction?), or the Toyota 4a-ge one (new Elise)?

I was just dreaming anyway..

Mr G - 21/9/05 at 06:56 PM

reminds me of someones sig I saw the other day....

Cheers

G

Noodle - 21/9/05 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Noooo The whole point was that I love VTEC engines.. as much as I love the MX-5 mk1.. so I may well think of a different engine.. or maybe a different car!

Engines hmm, that rotary one (RX-8), or maybe the Honda S2000 one (may have the same problem as the Civic Type R one, ie wrong direction?), or the Toyota 4a-ge one (new Elise)?

I was just dreaming anyway..

The S2000 rotates in the conventional direction.

Go rotary - think of the noise!

Cheers,

Neil.

Alez - 22/9/05 at 09:31 AM

He he he he, that sig is really good, oh wait, I drive a Fireblade Locost!!

It's interesting how bike and car engines are getting closer sometimes, with this 1400 cc 200 bhp new Kawasaki superbike coming soon, and these jap car engines with low torque and high rpms.

BTW do you think either the S2000 or the rotary would actually fit?? I was surprised that the MX-5 is a really, really small car (you can park it anywhere).

Also, can you get anything in the region of 220-230 bhp out of any of these two? (More or less reliably and without spending mega €€€.)

Oh, also I've seen that there's quite a lot of performance aftermarket stuff available for the original MX-5 engine (turbos and things) but I don't think it's worth considering getting 230 bhp from the 1.6 if reliability is important.

What I really wanted is that VTEC!!

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 22/9/05 by Alez]

Mark18 - 22/9/05 at 12:35 PM

There's not many engines smaller than a rotary and they'll certainly make the power you're after.

Mark

iank - 22/9/05 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark18
There's not many engines smaller than a rotary and they'll certainly make the power you're after.

Mark

Just remember to keep it cool, they really don't like being overheated.

andkilde - 22/9/05 at 12:54 PM

Alez

These guys:

http://www.flyinmiata.com

do turbo and supercharger kits for the MX-5, 300+ HP in some applications.

Cheers, Ted

Alez - 22/9/05 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark18

Mark

That's interesting if it can be done reliably, I suppose small means relatively light as well (I know nothing about rotaries). If coupling is relatively easy, that's another plus.

Cheers,

Alex

Alez - 22/9/05 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
These guys:

http://www.flyinmiata.com

do turbo and supercharger kits for the MX-5, 300+ HP in some applications.

The "cars for sale" section is well worth a look, too!!! I want one!!! I mean it!!!

Cheers,

Alex

Alez - 22/9/05 at 03:34 PM

quote:

the s2000 fits in an Mk Indy so i would imagine it would fit in an mx5,

Not necesarily! You can put a v8 in a Locost, and you could never put that in a MX-5. It's a very very small car really!

quote:

as for the power 230bhp is acheivable with the s2000 although you would have to restrict it a bit
(237bhp as standard)

Oops!!

Also the RX-8 has about 230 bhp, so with any of these two I'd get what I aim for directly from the engine designers (rather than from aftermarket preparation). That should add to peace of mind as for reliability.

Cheers,

Alex

Noodle - 22/9/05 at 05:04 PM

In the UK, Brodie Brittain racing offered a turbo conversion for the MK1 MK-5 that didn't affect the manufacturers guarantee in the same way that Elford garages had marketed a turbo conversion for the MK1 RX-7 a few years previously.

To retain the Mazda's warranty, the boost was kept to reasonable levels, but more stupid/desirable conversions were available too.

Might be the easiest route to follow.

Cheers,

Neil.

stevebubs - 22/9/05 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Not necesarily! You can put a v8 in a Locost, and you could never put that in a MX-5. It's a very very small car really!

[snip]

Cheers,

Alex

Not true! There's at least one RV8 MX-5 out there.

http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/Mazda_mx5_V8.htm

stevebubs - 22/9/05 at 07:33 PM

Install the above engine and add this body kit....

http://www.cobracountry.com/monster/home.html

[Edited on 22/9/05 by stevebubs]

ned - 22/9/05 at 08:17 PM

didn't that belong to a mr bobc from this forum, the engine now resides with our esteemed webmaster i do believe.

Mr G - 23/9/05 at 11:15 AM

Is that a comb I can see on the dash?......

Bob C - 23/9/05 at 11:56 AM

'tis true, it's mine - I just (I think) sold the car for 4&1/2 grand, it has the 4.6 motor now with quad 44IDF webers - making room for the '7'
The engine fits fine, you just have to be a bit creative with exhaust routeing!
Bob C

Bob C - 23/9/05 at 12:01 PM

Oh yeah - the flyin miata turbos for the old mx-5 go well up towards 300horse using stock engine internals, just adding intercooler, aftermarket ecu & clutch.
Also note the owners of these fearsomely fast peices of kit report reliability well into 6 figures and better mpg than stock.
Bob C

Alez - 28/9/05 at 10:40 AM

Most impressive, Bob

BTW I thought that the mk1 MX-5 engine was 115 bhp as standard (1.6), but the other day I was told my '91 has 90 bhp. Not that I care but I'd definilety like to know if it's the same engine we are talking about here, i.e. the one you can get 300 bhp from.

Cheers,

Alex

Bob C - 28/9/05 at 01:41 PM

I think the 90horse 1.6 came out with the 1.8 late in mk1 life, around '95 I think. I'd bet on a '91 being the more powerful engine.
I heard it was based on the old 323 turbo engine so its innards were rather overspecced, including such details as oil jets under piston crowns, but that's all old gossip & might well be wrong.
Bob

Alez - 28/9/05 at 03:22 PM

That'd be good news.

The other option, as I don't have a car for this yet (the one I have is my girlfriend's really, so I'm not trying!), would be buying one with a broken engine, then putting a different engine in (being it a 1.6 MX-5 one prepared by "Flyingmiata", the RX-8 or the S2000 engines as discused). I can't find any of these engines second hand here in Spain, do you know where to find a rough estimation of price for them in the UK, so I can weigh up wether or not a different engine is a better option than a preparation?

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 28/9/05 by Alez]

Mark18 - 28/9/05 at 07:39 PM

The rx8 isn't the only mazda to have a rotary engine, the older rx7's had them, many were turboed too with a good bit more power than the rx8. If you're really thinking about it make sure you get one with low mileage cause they can be unreliable, other people here will be able to further elaborate on what too look out for.

Mark

[Edited on 28/9/05 by Mark18]

Alez - 29/9/05 at 06:18 AM

Thank you Mark. I'm just evaluating different possibilities. If I finally try something, that'd be probably next year. Still I'm learning very interesting things in this thread, which is good in itself

Looks like a standard rotary is less reliable than a MX-5 engine + huge charger (plus fitting it is more of a project). The resulting car would be a daily driver so this is an important factor.

Cheers,

Alex