Board logo

tomtom
mandbsheldon - 19/12/05 at 06:13 PM

Just bought a tomtom sat nav.

Has anybody found their customer service and web site sh*t

stevebubs - 19/12/05 at 06:14 PM

yep, but the TomTom software on the iPaq works pretty well.

Strangely, I prefer v3 to v5, though - was more intuitive to use

mandbsheldon - 19/12/05 at 06:17 PM

'Funny' how you can't find the customer service number listed any where, not even on their web site.

the_fbi - 19/12/05 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mandbsheldon
'Funny' how you can't find the customer service number listed any where, not even on their web site.

I've used all versions from 1 through to 3 and now 5, never any issues.
What's your problem with it?

steve_gus - 19/12/05 at 07:45 PM

if you bought a sony hifi, or amstrad sat tv, would it be normal to get a customer number to call?

atb

steve

mandbsheldon - 19/12/05 at 08:17 PM

When I bought it, it came with a down load for speed camaras or POI. To activate you enter the offer code, then it asks for the device code. The product came with a 'credit card' on which was a 16 didget number called product code.
This number was to big for the device code. On the web site was a link 'Where to find your device code', this link was inactive. eventually got the customer service number from Halfords. After 40min wait, was directed to the device code which is found within the soft ware on the tomtom.
Anyway did that, found I had a problem with my unit, took it back to Halfords who exchaned it. Then could not down load any thing because I had a new unit with a differant code. Another 40 mins, 'Sorry can't change your code, need proof of new purchase'. Halfords faxed this over to tomtom. STILL WAITING

DEAN C. - 19/12/05 at 08:52 PM

Hi, used a mates Navman the other week which seemed OK.
Dont know which is rated as best but these two seem to be the best sellers.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Road Angel for a good sat nav but not sure which to get,obviously it will have to be good for speed cameras or i'll stick to maps and the life saving Road Angel.
(or should that read licence saving)

Dean...........

RazMan - 19/12/05 at 08:55 PM

I've used both TomTom and Navman for the last 5 years or so. I am presently considering putting TomTom onto my Navman 510 (yes its possible) thats how much I prefer TomTom.

omega 24 v6 - 19/12/05 at 08:55 PM

From what I hear they are pretty good BUT they dont like higher voltages i.e. 24v in trucks. The guy I spoke to said he was told they were multi voltage. Is this true?

Genesis - 19/12/05 at 09:48 PM

Just bought a TomTom One - brilliant! No problems with it - but it needs updating so I guess I have it all to come...

CairB - 19/12/05 at 09:54 PM

You may wish to aquaint yourself with this site:

POI's

AFAIK the POI's will work on Pocket PC Navigator and Go versions.

stevebubs - 19/12/05 at 10:21 PM

quote:
When I bought it, it came with a down load for speed camaras or POI. To activate you enter the offer code, then it asks for the device code. The product came with a 'credit card' on which was a 16 didget number called product code.
This number was to big for the device code. On the web site was a link 'Where to find your device code', this link was inactive. eventually got the customer service number from Halfords. After 40min wait, was directed to the device code which is found within the soft ware on the tomtom.
Anyway did that, found I had a problem with my unit, took it back to Halfords who exchaned it. Then could not down load any thing because I had a new unit with a differant code. Another 40 mins, 'Sorry can't change your code, need proof of new purchase'. Halfords faxed this over to tomtom. STILL WAITING

stevebubs - 19/12/05 at 10:21 PM

quote:

Can you not just re-register?

ewanspence - 20/12/05 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CairB
You may wish to aquaint yourself with this site:

POI's

AFAIK the POI's will work on Pocket PC Navigator and Go versions.

they are talking on this site about starting to charge for the camera database from January at £2 per download. So get a copy now for free.