Board logo

Strengthening ramps
RoadkillUK - 7/6/06 at 06:27 PM

I have fabricated some ramps (below) out of 25x25x3mm angle so I can park my car over the steps.

They do just hold the weight of the car (I've tested on bricks) but obviously they aren't strong enough.

The question is, how should I strengthen them? I have plenty of angle left

They will be fastened to the wall in some way and I might even raise the wall side a little.

gary gsx - 7/6/06 at 06:30 PM

How about fitting some legs to the bottom in an X shape to floor?

nitram38 - 7/6/06 at 06:30 PM

Build another upright in the middle of the span.

RoadkillUK - 7/6/06 at 06:41 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are to be removable.

Peteff - 7/6/06 at 07:15 PM

Make them like a normal ramp and fasten a couple of bearers to the wall for them to ledge on with something to hook them in place so they dont fall off. Rescued attachment ramps.jpg
Rescued attachment ramps.jpg

mark chandler - 7/6/06 at 07:16 PM

Simple, add another biy of angle under the first to double the vertical width where it spans the hole

At present the vertical steel is in compression so liable to buckle, the bit underneath will not be (cant think of the correct words for pulled apart).

Regards Mark

SeaBass - 7/6/06 at 07:21 PM

Yup, add another piece of angle either to for a triangular box underneath or a kind if T section;

Or weld two bits of angle together every 4" or so to make a 25mm box and weld underneath the outer member on each...

Cheers

ewanspence - 7/6/06 at 07:51 PM

Mark the word on the tip of your tounge was tension.

Agree that another bit angle underneath should be enough.

[Edited on 7/6/06 by ewanspence]

NS Dev - 7/6/06 at 10:32 PM

yep, just the "third" the suggestion, weld another bit on the underneath back to back with tother bit, job done.