Board logo

Clearing up oil??
xxx - 16/6/06 at 08:53 AM

Hi guys while Ive had my locost down at uni Ive been storing it in a friends garage. Due to the problems I had with my sump and oil pump there is a fair amount of oil on the garage floor. Basically is there any way I can clean up the quite large black patches on the concrete floor?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Tangerine Scream - 16/6/06 at 08:59 AM

I used the own brand driveway cleaner from Halfords/B&Q.
Surprisingly (for me) I followed the instructions and it managed to remove all evidence of an EP90 excursion

viatron - 16/6/06 at 09:12 AM

Cat litter to soak up the heavy patches then driveway cleaner, as already mentioned
Mac

grahamgg - 16/6/06 at 09:24 AM

use cement powder and leave over oil patches overnight ,brush off and jobs done.;);)

graememk - 16/6/06 at 09:42 AM

i drop kitty litter down then sweep it up in the morning, or just leave it as its not like its your garage

DIY Si - 16/6/06 at 09:45 AM

Cheap and nasty kitty litter. Last time I used it, the floor ended up cleaner than before I dropped the oil on it.

mark.s - 16/6/06 at 01:40 PM

try washing powder or saw dust if you haven't got a cat

dilley - 16/6/06 at 02:12 PM

any of the above, and then use some brake cleaner to really get rid of it.

zetec7 - 16/6/06 at 05:28 PM

Boraxo powdered hand soap after kitty litter to soak up the wet part. That's what the shops around here use

andybod - 16/6/06 at 08:31 PM

soak up main spillage then use washing up liquid or a couple of washing tablets in hot water to break up the oil and wash away

trogdor - 17/6/06 at 10:32 AM

kitty litter is really good, as mentioned serveral times, we also use it to soak up the water that invaribly leaks in to our garage, just put a load on the floor and move it round occasionaly to pick up water.