Board logo

trouble with my generator
davie dickson - 11/3/07 at 12:09 AM

So, I have a Marksman 3GF-3 petrol generator which has been on extended loan to someone. Got it back today and he says "oh, its shagged by the way". "thanks" I said

Anyway, I took the wee rocker cover off and the nuts holding the rocker arms have slackened off, allowing one of the push-rods to wear a groove in a wee thin guide it passes through. I dont think this is crucial and I can weld it if needs be, but what about re-tightening the rockers? what should the valve clearances be?
I guessed on the clearances just to get it running to test it, which it does fine, but no power output at all. The screws holding the end cover of the generator section were loose so I took it off and half the wires have been unplugged and I have no idea where they should all go. He reckoned he could convert it to run 3-phase but proved himself to be totally inept andseems to have screwed it up nicely.

Anyone got any tips?
I had a quick Google but only found ones for sale, no tech specs.

davie dickson - 11/3/07 at 12:11 AM

Oh, when I say "anyone got any tips?"

"Dont lend this fud any more tools" is already noted.

caber - 11/3/07 at 07:56 AM

gennys are so cheap these days probably not worth wasting too much time on it. Macro had 2.5KVA petrol stes for £99 the other week and 1.9KVA diesl sets for £149.
I know how aggravating it is having things that you cannot get information to repair, maybe you could use the engine to build a buggy for kids?

Caber

davie dickson - 11/3/07 at 10:37 AM

Its not worth buying a new one when all that it needs is the wires plugged in correctly and the tappets set.
Its a 3.2kv model and I doubt Id find one under £200 to replace it.

Wadders - 11/3/07 at 12:15 PM

Personally i'd phone the maker, but if in doubt
set em wide, and adjust until they go quiet.
as kids we used to use a rizla packet to set honda 50 tappets

davie dickson - 11/3/07 at 04:35 PM

Lol, Im from Aberdeen!